• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loaders, Limbers and Roadbuilders.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
When I left the Cat dealer the strokers were few. It's a six or seven day a week machine. Hopefully run five days and on Saturday work on it all day to be ready for Monday. I've seen some do five days a week but had to work eight hours of using and two hours working on them. Turned out to be a fifty hour week minimum no matter what. The plus side to them was they didn't mark up the log so bad and could be more accurate with the right operator. They can work like a sawmill trim saw with a good operator.

I have a client with a Deere / Denarco mono boom for sale right now.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Pro pac owns the market in the northeast. Can’t remember the last time I saw a functioning delimber of another brand. They are definitely a high maintenance machine. My biggest complaint is that no 2 are the same and what I mean is that if this is John Deere week they will hack into the wiring and hydraulics wherever is convenient and there is no rhyme or reason behind it. Basically what happens is that the dealer will order the delimber and then pro pac will remove the excavator boom and install the delimber, cab riser, cat walk, etc. then they roughly plumb it up and send it to the dealer who spends days fine tuning it to run efficiently.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Someone found a cost effective thing a Poclain 300 could do?

I got in on building a bunch of those 4" square tube guard packages for the shovels in late 1979 and early 1980s. Shovel logging hadn't been thought of back then. The danger was from stuff getting dropped on you or sliding into you in those days.

hoechucker

I'm sure this should go in another category, but has anyone ever tried grinding the 80 gauge 404 harvester chain with a chisel grinder? I was thinking it might be easy enough to modify the chain guide on my simington swing arm grinder to make it fit. Might just have to give it a try..

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Easy champ! We tried that year's back on kiddos and ended up breaking a bunch of chains. Chane might be better nowadays though.
I'm sure this should go in another category, but has anyone ever tried grinding the 80 gauge 404 harvester chain with a chisel grinder? I was thinking it might be easy enough to modify the chain guide on my simington swing arm grinder to make it fit. Might just have to give it a try..

hoechucker

Easy champ! We tried that year's back on kiddos and ended up breaking a bunch of chains. Chane might be better nowadays though.
Well I figured it's gotta be better than the job the guys we pay to have it done by do. And it does look like a new design but then again I've only been on a machine that takes a 404 chain for a year