• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lost Forward on Case 580C!

dwall2181

Hey Guys,

Lost forward on my Case 580C from stopped! (reverse works great) Did all the maintenance on my new to me Case 580C. (gear oil, engine oil, fuel, power shuttle, all filters,) When I changed the power shuttle fluid I noted some contamination with a 1/2 pint of grey hydraulic oil, some fine shiny metal in the drain pan (thought it was normal amount and no large pieces), and cleaned it all out along with a few metal flakes on the dipstick.

That day, the machine ran normally until it got hot and after a few hours, it started losing more and more power forward until I couldn't get moving in forward at all. The reverse ran like normal and was strong throughout. What's weird, eventually I got on a downhill giving me a rolling start by the end, and got into gear and I was then able to drive it forward like normal to get it back and park it. It's possible I overfilled the power shuttle fluid as I'm battling leaks and was afraid of running dry. Trying to figure out how to troubleshoot how to get forward back in the power shuttle...

Where would you go from here?
Any recommends?

Thank you!

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
If you've got contamination, leaks and shiny stuff in the shuttle chances are previous owner may have run it dry and burned up the forward clutches. Check chris580C"s post from Feb 5 2024 with same issues for a little more insight.

dwall2181

I’ve had it for a month and haven’t used it much since I wanted to maintenance it first. I noticed contamination before changing it and maybe it was light on pushing power in forward but not too experienced and didn’t run it much so can’t so for sure. Ran it plenty after the change and it seems the hotter it got the more power I lost in forward. Reverse was always strong. I used premium Traveler Hydraulic Fluid from Tractor Supply. Thought I might try another flush.

dwall2181

Drained the shuttle today. Found some ground up metal in the pan and a couple small flakes, looked like aluminum but can’t be sure. Also found metal in the hydraulic filter. Confused, Does the hydraulic filter service the power shuttle or hydraulic system? Thought those systems were separate. Changed the filter. Didn’t try to run it because I didn’t have fluid in hand but will try that next.

stinky64

Occupation
Sounds like you may have scored a lemon. Hyd. filter is for hyd. system. Shuttle has no filter, only screen in shuttle pan. Is the "metal" in hyd. filter packing material from cylinders or actual metal which could be from pump, cylinder related parts or other parts of system.

stinky64

Occupation
First off the kit you highlighted isn't for your machine, make sure you order the right one. If you're going to remove and disassemble the shuttle don't cheap out, you're already in there, do it right. Chances are you don't need new torque converter just make sure to flush old one as well as possible. Once again must ask what's your mechanical ability? This isn't a brake job or water pump, there's a lot of parts in the shuttle that require specific tolerances and torques. Do you have the service or parts manual?
Just went to broken tractor looks like the master rebuild kit including pump is A574015- $495.00. Don't count on my word check for yourself before ordering.

Last edited:

dwall2181

Good news…after getting fluid I filled the shuttle full and ran it for 3 hours. Forward and reverse worked. I do feel like power goes down as the day goes and it leaks trans fluid too fast. Going to get to work replacing seals and dipstic. Seems like the loss of fluid could be the culprit. Still seems low on pushing power…

but how much pushing power should you have in forward? I operate with the backhoe not in transport mode so the hydraulic pump is running so I’m not sure if that’s part of this but I struggle to push piles of dirt sometimes with the bucket on an uphill slope.

stinky64

Occupation
Hydraulic pump runs whether hoe is in transport mode or not and has nothing to do with shuttle efficiency. Unless maybe, repeat maybe one of hyd. levers is not centered and stealing power from engine which would essentially affect shuttle performance maybe. Naahh.

dwall2181

Makes sense! The backhoe drops to the ground as does the outriggers in its own. The backhoe does in about 60 seconds while it takes the outriggers several minutes to drop. Guessing that could cause the pump to steal from the engine? The valve body needs resealing. Machine leaks all over the place…got a lot of work to do with sealing it up.