• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

Ryan Rønning

Occupation
Army Diesel Tech and field maintenace teck
I dont think that these have been posted yet. I found them on Hanks Truck Pics.
attachment14.jpg

attachment13.jpg

attachment12.jpg

attachment11.jpg

attachment10.jpg

attachment09.jpg

HDX

Ryan Please dont scrounge pictures from HANKS Website It just cause's no end of grief !! Its great that he has those pics but there is some rules of protocal we must follow here. I know you only tried to add some neat pics to this site but this will come back to bite us in the rear Out of respect to Hank Suderman we should pass on this. Thanks for your input I know Hank very well and this really upsets him OK

Ryan Rønning

Occupation
Army Diesel Tech and field maintenace teck
I understand. I would delete the post if I could figure out how too.

HDX

No No Ryan I talked to Hank last night and told him and he thanked us all on here for respecting his Site Thank You for your contribution

BTC

HDX, those pictures look a lot like the North West Bay yard. Is this where they are from? My family has a long history there if so.

TorkelH

Dead yarder - Skagit BU98

I should have understood that the linehorse followed the yarder - here is prove of the death of MMB J20, Skagit BU98. At Lake Lemare's shop. Can still be seen alive here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIAG2Ig9G4Q and in some more videos on youtube. I became interested in the fate of this machine after I was contacted by a researcher for Ax-men about it in 2009.

Attachments

• J20-3.jpg
    J20-3.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 1,487
  • J20-2.jpg
    J20-2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,475
  • J20-1.jpg
    J20-1.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,494
  • J20-4.jpg
    J20-4.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 1,480
  • J20-5.jpg
    J20-5.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1,481

BTC

J-20

She was originally a Kelsey Bay Yarder, I have a picture of her the very first day she came off the barge. We had a hooker killed while yarding with this machine just prior to her going to Sprout Lake. If memory serves me correct we even had an operator go to Sprout for a week in the first setting she was in down there.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Off To The Left - Sproat Lake Division

I've posted this shot before but if you look off to the left you can see part of what must be the J-20. It was parked just above the lower level/salvage area. I didn't know the machine so I didn't get a better shot. Where did it wind up?

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 1,438

TorkelH

More Sproat Lake

Here's another picture of an 009 on a truck in Sproat Lake shop, and a big collection of Boman's. May it be the same as in your pic's jackd? And some more of the big Skagit. It was a permission to cross the highway in the cabin dated 2003 I think, but it said Kelsey Bay, maybe it went back there? Ended up in Lemare's yard at last, in Port McNeill.

Attachments

• boman_sm.jpg
    boman_sm.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,331
  • Skagit1_sm.jpg
    Skagit1_sm.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,319
  • skagit4sm.jpg
    skagit4sm.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,321
  • Skagit2_sm.jpg
    Skagit2_sm.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,317
  • carriages_sproat_sm.jpg
    carriages_sproat_sm.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,349
Last edited:

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Old Sparmatic Operator...

The guy running the Skagit in the last shot is an old pal of mine, who I haven't seen in many years - Rick Hennesy. I must admit that he hasn't changed much in 30 years. Who better to run that monster of a Skagit than an old Sparmatic operator.

I just noticed the J-73 in that shot of the three fellows standing around that carriage. From what I can remember the photo shows it being parked at the west end of the yard, outside the fence. There's a short little road there that curves up away from the yard. I used to go back there and there would be old abandoned trak loaders and other equipment from years gone by - rusting happily in amongst the growing alder saplings. I wonder if they're still there.

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,316
Last edited:

TorkelH

Sproat Lake

Here's some few more pictures of people working in Sproat Lake, some of them you may be able to recognize jackd.

Attachments

• truckdriver.JPG
    truckdriver.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,343
  • skagit8_sm.jpg
    skagit8_sm.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,305
  • faller1.JPG
    faller1.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,329
  • Mechanic_sm.jpg
    Mechanic_sm.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,313
  • lunch_sm.jpg
    lunch_sm.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,309

TorkelH

H24 and a couple of Franklin pic's

I'm not 100% sure about these pictures, the loader probably is in Franklin, think also the pic with lot of vehicles. And H24?

Attachments

• H24_sm.jpg
    H24_sm.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,701
  • 7230_sm.jpg
    7230_sm.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,670
  • Franklin_sm.jpg
    Franklin_sm.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,673

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Blast From The Past

Oh my... Do I ever know some of these guys! The truck driver in the first photo is Barry Forbes - who was my uncle's falling partner during my time there. I had heard that he had switched to driving trucks and is now retired. The HD Mechanic is Joe Dvorak, with whom I worked with in the shop back in 1976. He came over from Hungary in 1956 after the uprising - very fine man. The two characters in the pickup are none other than Ricky Chatwin and Walter 'Sudsie' Sutherland. Rick was a loader operator on the L-134 when I was there - a fellow 'Laker'. 'Sudsie' was a hooker on a Madill 009 tower out in Ash River and was a bit of a legend. A prankster he was - always had a crazy look about him. I heard that he went falling - he must be retired by now. Thank you for bringing back the memmories, Torkel.

TorkelH

I am sorry I didn't take more photos of people on my trips to the Sproat operations. I was hiking with Barry Forbes up to the place where Hank Bakken worked the super snorkel, and also the faller in on of the pictures. Barry has his own sea plane, if I don't remember wrong, very interesting man. I will put out the video of the faller, maybe you'll recognize him too then.

When I was in Port Alberni in march, I helped a guy out of the ditch, just there on the steep road going up out of the city heading to the Cameron shop, I think Ship Creek road. He was like in his 70's and was salvaging firewood with his truck. He looked like 'Sudsie', but much thinner (and older), he told he had been hooking in Ash River/Sproat, and that he (maybe I'm wrong) was originally european. Of course I don't remember his name, or maybe it just was 'Sudsie'? Maybe some of the other PA guys here would know who he is?

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Barry Was a Flyer

I knew Barry more off the job than on. He had an aircraft hangared at my Uncle's farm at Stirling Arm and used his airstrip. They were both enthusiasts in that area. Barry was always a very positive guy and very outgoing. I wonder if he remembers me.

The only Hooker that I know that fits your description would be Harry Van Appeldorn - he looked much like a scrawnier version of 'Sudsie'. I knew him quite well too - he was the first Hooker on the J-73 back in 1977 and stayed there for years - working with 'Cousin Four Eyes' operating that thing.

TorkelH

Must be him, dutch I think. I didn't know what to do, I see him there with a red pretty much on road pick up stucked in the ditch, trying to hauling firewood out of the forest more or less in the middle of town. I was driving a Tahoe so I thought I would be able to get him up, and after a while he was back on the road. This was just after lunch, and I was in a little hurry going out to China Creek looking at the 046 spar working there, so I didn't had the time to chat to much, but he seemed to be a very nice guy. If you should be in contact with him say hello from me!