• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Marine diesel

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
https://images.app.goo.gl/pw2MHVQmKNUa8WBT9
I have only seen 2 of these engines. The first was at a sewerage treatment plant driving a generator and ran on methane from the sewerage. The second was years later but a diesel driving a stage pump on a sand fill. It had been in a tug boat somewhere and was pretty buggered when I saw it and was burning 44imp gals of engine oil in 12 hours.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Gray Marine was associated with many manufacturers, including Chrysler, all they did was build the wet manifolds and "marinized" Industrial or automotive engines for use in boats.

pretty well as Mercruiser or OMC
Relabeled engines with their brand name built by others.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Have you got a hankering for long boating Nige :D
Not really, just an interest in engines generally. Living next to the sea means an interest in things maritime is never far away either.
I came across that MAN video by accident, but after watching it all sorts of others popped up which led me to the Dutch guy's YouTube channel. Then that got me to thinking about Gardners because I bet few on the other side of the pond have even heard of them. That led me to another Youtube channel.......... https://www.youtube.com/user/tangentgardner/videos

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
https://images.app.goo.gl/pw2MHVQmKNUa8WBT9
I have only seen 2 of these engines. The first was at a sewerage treatment plant driving a generator and ran on methane from the sewerage. The second was years later but a diesel driving a stage pump on a sand fill. It had been in a tug boat somewhere and was pretty buggered when I saw it and was burning 44imp gals of engine oil in 12 hours.
Like many other engineering companies of the day McLaren started life building steam-powered equipment. I've seen a fair few of their traction engines around at steam rallies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J&H_McLaren_&_Co.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I was in A school to be an engiineman in the USN in 74 and got to see and hear some of those moderate size marine diesels. We started learning about the 6-71 and they showed us the others that that could be run for each school they had. Waukesha, Packard, Fairbanks Morse, GM 8-268 and 3-278. There were more but that was a long time ago. The most interesting to me were the direct reversibles.

I ended up on a ship with 2 ea. 38ND8 1/8 Fairbanks 1000 KW gen-sets, 4 boats with two variations of 6-71s and a motor whale boat with a Westerbeke. I have been fascinated ever since by the engineering of the floating diesels.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
I was in A school to be an engiineman in the USN in 74 and got to see and hear some of those moderate size marine diesels. We started learning about the 6-71 and they showed us the others that that could be run for each school they had. Waukesha, Packard, Fairbanks Morse, GM 8-268 and 3-278. There were more but that was a long time ago. The most interesting to me were the direct reversibles.

I ended up on a ship with 2 ea. 38ND8 1/8 Fairbanks 1000 KW gen-sets, 4 boats with two variations of 6-71s and a motor whale boat with a Westerbeke. I have been fascinated ever since by the engineering of the floating diesels.
Me also, Went to a Diesel School in Vancouver B C in 1969, worked on a lot of different engines, union,Cleveland, cat,Cummins, Gardner, even had a 1-71 GM marine unit, my favourite was a Enterprise direct reversible diesel which slid the camshaft, great time, I often wonder what happened to all those engines

John C.

Occupation
It always amazes me when I see those things shift from one direction to the other and then back again. There were a couple of tug boats that worked the navy piers in Norfolk that I'm told were direct reversible. You could hear the engines stop and then the air hit when they went to restart in the other direction.

skyking1

there were a couple of minesweepers in Tacoma with those setups. Wooden hulled to minimize magnetic signature, and those air start reversibles.
The Waukesha on the diesel electric derrick was air start. Fire up a jimmy genset to make air first.
Starter and piping in lower center, 1200 RPM 40Kw jimmy behind it.
IMG_20180115_081118.jpg

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Like this one you mean.? I imagine that it was always a bit nerve-racking whether it was going to re-start or not when going from ahead to astern or vice versa while manouevring in a harbour.

You bet, I think I have a picture of it. When the instructor showed us how it worked it was a quite a procedure it scared the s$$t out of us, after all these yrs I still remember it. It really made a real impression on me.

Tugger2

I bought a bunch of used floats and piling years ago in Blaine. We met the pile driving contractor one night on the dock to take lines from his rig. The tug he was was running had a direct reversivng engine with wheel house controls . He came right up to the dock, silence for a bit then backed down on the barge perfectly. All in the timing i guess.
Closest thing i have run to that was a boat with a capital gear in it, had about the same lag as direct reversing.

lantraxco

I worked a tug for a while, one skipper told me about a direct reversible. Six air starters, three in each direction, and if you were working tight, with a hot engine, and the air ran low.... good times.

He had also worked a tug with electric drive, which was great as long as you could keep it relatively dry.

We just had CAT 399's with Reintjes mechanical gears, plain vanilla.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Man I could only wish to have worked one of these!!
Completed Ranken Tech in 1975, 10 Month Crash Course on Diesel and Gas Engines some drive train theory and competency classes, a lot on what soon became obsolete electrical, some Gas Welding a taste of stick welding and Out The DOOR!! First Shop Flat Rate.

AllDodge

Was on the USS Burton Island WAGB-283 Icebreaker until a year before Decom in 1978. Had 6xFairbanks Morse opposed piston engines. Was sure loud when running. Slow mover and rocked like a bath tub with a round hull

John C.

Occupation
Ships are made to float, boats are made to sink.

There is a sub in Portland, Oregon called the Blueback, I think,you can take a tour of. I believe it was one of the last diesel boats in the fleet. It had either two or four Fairbanks 8 1/8 gensents. As I recall, the Fairbanks at the school I went to in Chicago was a direct reversible. Most all of that stuff went to the scrapper years ago.