• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Vocational seemed to be there thing. They did build a lot of ready mix concrete mixer chassis, and I have seen photos of a couple FWD truck tractors, pulling lowboy equipment trailers. Might have to do a Google search and see what all I can find. Got me interested now.

Truck Shop

It was a total of 648 miles round trip, 660 in eleven can just be logged legally.
Now in D Millers thread about driving.
Never going to find many that drive the same. Truth is the more hours in the seat the sloppier
a diver gets. As far as mileage-that boils down to how big of a hurry one is in. As far as shifting
smooth, everyone rakes a few, ride along's--the driver tends to be on his best behavior and wants
to impress the passenger. The real care in driving is not over revving or lugging, not crowding
other drivers/traffic, driving a mile ahead in their mind keeping fluctuations/road conditions/traffic
front and center.
The trip I just made--80% of trucks were over running the speed limit by 8 plus mph. Following too
close, not turning signals on waiting a bit then move. The main things I saw.
Now for me--even with speed limit for trucks of 65 most places, I can only run a max of 62 and that
is running with the wind at my back. Towing tractors from the back with a tall fairing can create
issues, like damage the fairing and cab with high velocity winds. Sometimes have to tone it
down to 50.
Now it was raining on the way down in the dark, most were overdriving their headlights, dumb.
Many things go into being professional----So with what I saw on this trip, I didn't see very many
professionals.
Shifting gears and throttle stomp are only a very small part of driving.
The real test on mileage--is how many Little Debbie snacks to the mile.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

435690745_999178581818475_4615203809641622389_n.jpg