• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

crane operator

I looked at buying one of those railroad wreckers once, but there' s just not that many things to use one for. I've seen the holmes ones and P&H made one too, I think.

Walter pysell

Being born in '59, I recall many trucks on the road then that now would be considered old trucks. B Series Macks were still in use around my town, many concrete trucks were Mack B series, and if you went to coal country in SE KY, West Virginia, western Virginia, Mack DM and R model trucks dominated the coal trucks right up through the 70's into the 80's. I recall the Dodge LCF and Cabover trucks, and of course the GMC "crackerbox", many of whom were fitted with Detroit green leakers. GM had good looking COE trucks with the GMC Astro and Chevy Titan back in the 70's. And Ford built a number of models of cabover trucks, of course Ford had the built like an anvil Louisville cab trucks at the same time, and many fire trucks as well as delivery trucks used the Ford C series truck, again, built like anvil. Of course you had Pete and KW, both cabover and conventional. And I recall the I-H Emeryville COE trucks still in use before I-H produced the CO4070. And there's still a bunch of trucks of that era I haven't even mentioned, such as White, considering the first "big truck" I drove was a '62 White 4000 with Fuller 5 x 4 trannies. Wish I could turn back time and do it all over again.
I was born in 1960
Started with trucks in 75..at 15
Hauling logs off our mountain in WV with a single axle Ford F600
4 and 2 spd tranny
Vacuum over hydraulic brakes
It was interesting to say the least

56wrench

At the Ford dealership I hated doing tune-ups on those old Y-blocks with that crossover. Old farm trucks were plentiful where i grew up. I also occasionally got sent to do tuneups on Massey 510 combines with the SBC out in the field and got burned on the exhaust that ran across the top of the engine. Fun times lol

Truck Shop

ours was a 1964? with the 292 with that smoking hot crossover under the hood.
At the Ford dealership I hated doing tune-ups on those old Y-blocks with that crossover. Old farm trucks were plentiful where i grew up. I also occasionally got sent to do tuneups on Massey 510 combines with the SBC out in the field and got burned on the exhaust that ran across the top of the engine. Fun times lol
Ford had a real issue with the Y blocks vapor locking, because the fuel line ran between
exhaust crossover and cylinder head. Once the fuel pump started to get a little age on it
it was just about a sure thing to vapor lock. I was at a farm years ago and looking at a
F600 that had a Y block--the fuel line looked like a porcupine with all the clothes pins
attached. The other issue was cam bearings wore real bad then hardly any oil would get
to the rockers. I had one come in the the shop--you could hear it squeaking at idle.
I removed the rocker cover--it was rust dust particles. There was the Ford band-aid of external
oil lines running to the rocker covers to get oil to rockers. Another was a 312 that I removed
the oil pan on because of a leaking rear main. There were 7 oil pump drive rods laying
in the gray Teflon goo in the bottom of pan.

Truck Shop

How many of the HEF members remember changing a Rope rear main seal?
Using the Sneaky Pete--chinese finger. Those rope seals were a b!tch to remove
and install---some of these young fellers on here need to do a few of those just
to get a taste of yesteryear.