• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Chain stowage racks on fuel tanks are a bit sketchy. At one time Turbochargers were legitimized as Exhaust Dampening equipment.
I seem to recall at least one Mack truck we had that cast right in the exhaust housing it said "Sound Dampening Device", or something to that effect. I'm thinking it was the Superliner with the V-8 Mack engine.

mekanik

Years ago I had a Freightliner cab over in the shop for an oil change. The owner was watching me work.
I drained the oil and replaced the plug and filter then I opened the little door on the grill and pulled the filler tube out.
The owner says "That thing pulls out?" he had been pouring oil in it in the stowed position for years.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
May have been pert of a initial trial batch of them trying for better economy as 76 was during the BAD oil embargo based years. Lighter than a Cummins 6V TTA was 300(?) hp.

Truck Shop

Here's the problem BV, that cab more than likey was moved to that truck. It's
a thrown together mess of parts. Rear drives don't match build sheet, neither
is the length of frame.

Truck Shop

And the other huge problem-notice like all Freightliners of that era the build data plate
is on the drivers door. Hell that door more than likely came from a salvage yard.

Engineer4255

A 1980 & 81, AutoCar wasn't into styling changes much. looked the same in the 50's. The ink is a 1955.View attachment 260675 View attachment 260676 View attachment 260677
The red one with the white roof is an old Material Transit truck. They used a lot of Autocars in their time. They owned the ready mix concrete plant, did site work, and Beaver Blacktop. It was a family business, two brothers I believe. They split it up to become Diamond Materials and Harmony Construction.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

If it had the 345, probably so. If it was the MV404, like mine was, it was a pretty good engine.

Biggest problem with the 345 type engines was the front cam bearing behind cam gear.
The thrust would wipe those out and there went the oil pressure.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
MV series had issues with breathing, valves were not sufficient size for adequate flow to HP. 446 were some gutless pooches, did have low end torque if enjoyed strolling alongside in a climb reading the paper off the exhaust illumination!!

Truck Shop

MV series had issues with breathing, valves were not sufficient size for adequate flow to HP. 446 were some gutless pooches, did have low end torque if enjoyed strolling alongside in a climb reading the paper off the exhaust illumination!!

That was the Missouri model, no need to hurry there.