• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

We had allot of hard times when I was a kid living on the dairy. But one thing I remember
was the ice cream we would sometimes make. Jerseys-one gallon of whole milk can have
3 inches of solid cream rise to the top. Mixed with fresh strawberries it was the best ice
cream I ever had.

Truck Shop

Fancy Mack pop truck.
435182734_10161353651168841_2166690913843378194_n.jpg

HATCHEQUIP

That stude was a good looking truck for its time,
But back to that greenish cabover, did it all tilt or just the top and the fenders swung out? Give us some info and what was it? And ive seen coffins wider than that sleeper.

Truck Shop

That stude was a good looking truck for its time,
But back to that greenish cabover, did it all tilt or just the top and the fenders swung out? Give us some info and what was it? And ive seen coffins wider than that sleeper.
Those high binders were stationary cabs, like most in that time.

Truck Shop

So you had to lift the whole cab off?
I'll see if I have a old photo of engine removal. But here's the thing, everyone building/manufacturing
a pickup----Ford comes to mind--here we are in 2024 removing the cab to work on the engine----------
This has always been a laugh for me. Ideas didn't move ahead they went in reverse.

Truck Shop

Nice drive to La Grande today, could only drive 40 from here to Mission/I-84 because of wind.
The Freightliner shop in LaGrande had 1/4 of the shop full with high paying company break
downs. One with a stripped gear train from improper high pressure fuel pump install by
Penske. The one with fractured rear structure from wreck two years ago, and the blown drive
axle I brought them this morning. Life is good, I made roughly 800 on this last tow.

JaredV

Wow, I had no idea someone already thought of that back then. Guessing there was some sort of Lovejoy coupling half on the back of the truck that engaged with another on the trailer to power it? Or maybe a winch on the truck and to get the tub back on the trailer you pulled the cable to the back of the trailer and up to the tub again? I'd love to see more pictures of that!

Truck Shop

Lets see---in another thread about our dilemma with the workforce.
Life is about choices yes it is----Fact, some at young age were left with minimal choices
and some none at all. When I hear/see a person using the word {hate} as contempt of
another's lack of drive---the person using it hasn't walked in path or lived under the roof
of said person. To the many who live a perfect life, good for you, your lucky. Not everyone
was born with high IQ, had good schooling, had good parenting, had good food to eat,
your living the dream made possible in the beginning of your life by someone else most likely.
The only thing hindering you is your narcissistic egotistical mind set.
And yes there are those that are just no good too--born under a bad star.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Lets see---in another thread about our dilemma with the workforce.
Life is about choices yes it is----Fact, some at young age were left with minimal choices
and some none at all. When I hear/see a person using the word {hate} as contempt of
another's lack of drive---the person using it hasn't walked in path or lived under the roof
of said person. To the many who live a perfect life, good for you, your lucky. Not everyone
was born with high IQ, had good schooling, had good parenting, had good food to eat,
your living the dream made possible in the beginning of your life by someone else most likely.
The only thing hindering you is your narcissistic egotistical mind set.
And yes there are those that are just no good too--born under a bad star.
Sometimes one can just be at the right place at the right time.

The day after I graduated from high school I started working at the quarry where my dad worked most of my life. Just shoveling und conveyors and other manual labor. Did that for a couple summers while going to community college.

Dad mentioned one day the quarry company was going to start a shop to repair equipment and asked if I might be interested in a job in the shop. Think that was in early 1971 and in 2015 I retired from that job. Not sure what I would have been doing for all those years if someone in management of the company had decided to put the shop in a different state instead of the place dad worked.

Truck Shop

Sometimes one can just be at the right place at the right time.
Correct------Most start life in a job they definitely won't finish life in, all stepping stones.
Not everyone was to be successful, in true reasoning if everyone was-----just who would
it be to do the menial tasks for the well off. Unfortunately there will always be plodders,
the fortunate should be thankful for the unfortunate---it keeps them feeling superior and
no holes worn through the knees of their pants.

Truck Shop

Wow, I had no idea someone already thought of that back then. Guessing there was some sort of Lovejoy coupling half on the back of the truck that engaged with another on the trailer to power it? Or maybe a winch on the truck and to get the tub back on the trailer you pulled the cable to the back of the trailer and up to the tub again? I'd love to see more pictures of that!
Only one photo.

Truck Shop

Correct------Most start life in a job they definitely won't finish life in, all stepping stones.
Not everyone was to be successful, in true reasoning if everyone was-----just who would
it be to do the menial tasks for the well off. Unfortunately there will always be plodders,
the fortunate should be thankful for the unfortunate---it keeps them feeling superior and
no holes worn through the knees of their pants.
Now a big question for those that think they are the payers, the doers, contributors, non takers.
Just what is your plan, what is it you think needs to be done with the non doers, takers. Really,
I can guess what that is.
It doesn't take much to stop people from hitting the like button does it.