• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mount a hydraulic winch on a Cat 966C?

Garrik

I have a 966C with forks that I use for logging - mostly decking and loading.

I saw a local guy with a wheel loader that he had mounted a hydraulic winch on - in the front, so that it pulled into the forks - and that looked like a pretty sweet setup for doing some limited cable skidding.

Anyone ever seen such a beast, or better yet have pictures? Any thoughts on where best to mount the winch - on the horizontal connector between the two main arms seems like one option (but then the winch goes up and down with the forks/bucket) and at the tow point on the front of the machine seems like the other option.

The hydraulic lines seem pretty easy to access - would just add an electrically actuated valve to switch the aux hydraulics between opening/closing the forks and driving the winch.

Thanks much!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I haven't ever seen anything like you are proposing but I will mention one thing. The crosstube on the lift arms, which you are considering as one option to mount the winch, is a casting with limited weldability. So installing mountings on it might not necessarily prove too dififcult, however getting them to stay on might be a tad more of a challenge.

Reactions: DB2