• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mustang 940 starting issue

Etchluke

Hey guys new to this forum and this skid steer it's a mustang 940 with a yanmar diesel.
I purchased it about a month ago and it ran great started easily. It's got 1300 hrs on it.
This weekend I decided to do a fluid change and service cause the seller told me it had been sitting for about 2 years. So I did the hydrologic fluid and filter with the recommended fluid in the manual 46.
after the fluid change drove it out of the shop and behind the garage to wash the mess I made in the back from spilling some fluid. Went to start it and it just clicked once. So I figured the solenoid was acting up. So I hadn't the wife get in it while I tapped the starter and that did nothing at first so I kept trying and then we lost power to the key switch. So I then figured that out dirty connection at the switch. By this time I was getting frustrated so I just wanted to get it inside figured I'd just the starter and get it inside and work on it after dinner well that didn't work either. If I jump the action terminal it just clicks but if I jump the starter side of the selinoid the starter just barely cranks the motor maybe 1/4-3/4 turn then stops so then I figured weak batter so I got my truck over and hooked it up did the same thing. So my question is is there something on the hydraulics like the pump that would drag the engine down ? I seen in the manual there is a cold start relief? What does that do? Could it have fail and be dragging the motor down? Or just a old starter that just died ? I only question the starter because at one point when I was jumping the selinoid the Bendix didn't engage and it free spun and sounded fine? But maybe it just weak? Puls napa wants 609 bucks for a remand starter .
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welder Dave

Aux. hydraulics accidently engaged will cause labored turning from starter and not starting even when boosted.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Water in an electrical connection somewhere?

I'd get the multimeter out and check the starter circuit.

Etchluke

Hi 92u so I started with the meter today checking everything and I believe the starter is bad because I'm getting continuity to ground on the cable on the starter that goes to the selinoid so like the starter is grounded out internally I'm gonna take it a part and see if something stand out to me.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Which cable are you seeing ground on and how many ohms? The cable from battery to starter solenoid or the short one from the solenoid into the starter?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I believe you should see ground on that if you're checking there. You're actually measuring the internal resistance of the starter by doing that.

I'd start with verifying you're getting the proper voltage to the starter solenoid control wire (should be a skinny wire) when you try cranking. If you're getting proper voltage (I don't want to assume but from your first post it sounds like you likely are), move on to the steps below.

I'd put the meter positive lead on the battery positive post and the negative on the other end of the cable where it connects to the solenoid. Make sure you're clear and have someone try and crank it. Should see 0 volt or very close to it when the solenoid clicks. Then move to the other post on the solenoid (the one going in to the starter). Should still be close to 0 volts. Then switch the negative lead to the battery negative and put the positive on a metal part of the starter body or the ground stud on it (if it has one) and try and crank it again. Should read close to zero volts. If at any time you read a significant amount of voltage, you've got a poor connection in the system somewhere between the two meter leads. If everything checks out, likely a starter failure.

Etchluke

I see, I figured I shouldn't cause it would ground out. But now that you say that it makes sense because of the windings. I have since removed the starter and bench tested it and I can't get it to spin with a good battery I can barely get it to spin by hand I believe it's shot.
Thank you for the detailed testing process though.

Etchluke

Yep, I was a little worried yesterday when I happened though maybe the pump was holding it back #1 because I got it cheap and just flushed the fluids figured I stirred up something #2 because it had been sitting so long by previous owner.
Glad it was simple, thanks for the info.

kayla915559

I have A 940 Mustang Skid steer. I really need a service manual. I have the parts manual already. I need the service manual. Can someone please e mail me a copy?I would very much appreciate it. kayla915559@gmail.com