• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My barn transformation.

jmac

This is a photo of when I first moved in.
shop.jpg

Here is a photo of the new front overhead door, and new roof, new driveway, new paint, and plywood on the front and parking area.
barn1.jpg

Here a photo of the back with a new overhead door and side door.
barn2.jpg

Here is photo of the inside after we took down the 2nd floor and insulated. I kept some of the 2nd floor about 1/3 of it in place at the back of tthe barn for a loft area.
barn inside.jpg

jmac

Here is the loft area with one of my workers jumping for joy because he just finished insulating,
loft.jpg

Here is a shot of the side with my old Mack (penalty box)
old mack.jpg

Here is one from the road,
from the road.jpg

Put alot of work into this, started in June, happy to be this far along!:drinkup

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Looks great jmac!:drinkup Beautiful country you guys have in central NY.
Hope it brings many great years of shelter.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Nice photos, job well done. A good shop can add value to a company, and helps with moral(or how ever you spell it) with your workers. I know just from installing a radiant heat furnace, replaced the forced air, made our shop much more comfotable to work in in the cold winter days. Makes it enjoyable to go to the shop. Once again, Nice job.
Trbo

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
Good job. I sure could use something like that on my property. It would make equipment maintenance a lot easier, especially in the winter.

jmac

Thank you for the kind comments. CM1995, we do have alot of space in central NY. We also get alot of snow, I bet you don't have a plow sitting in your lot. Bob, Just last summer I was working out of my house with no shelter at all, so I have come along way. I like just hanging out sometimes at the barn, it is like my " man room". I do have heat, frig, radio and beer, all I need.
Dirtman, trying to keep the in the toilet, but I have to do house cleaning often!
EZ turbo we have wood heat but would like something like you have some day, wood is free so that's going to have to do for now.

Last edited:

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Great job on the refurbished barn into shop.Always nice when a dream turns into realitiy!!!!!!!!:usa

Lashlander

Very nice!:usa You might want to check into a waste oil heater. We get oil from everyone and almost heat our shop full time on it. Once in a while we run out and I fill it with fuel but not very often. Maybe a ceiling fan too.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Thank you for the kind comments. CM1995, we do have alot of space in central NY. We also get alot of snow, I bet you don't have a plow sitting in your lot.

Yeah - the only plow I would have at my shop would be for the garden.:D

The waste oil heater would be sharp. We generate alot of used oil that goes to a recycler. I don't have a shop right now, the 2 buildings I have are leased to other people that pay every month.:D :cool: We just wing it in the field but our weather is not as harsh as some places. Other than the rain, we work 12 months of the year.

jmac

Nice barn, does everything fit in it?
Everything fits in one at a time. I have about 35' depth before the loft and 22' height. The large over head is 14' x 14'.

You might want to check into a waste oil heater.

The waste was my original plan but you need about a gallon/hour so that does add up to a lot of oil, more than I produce. I found it hard to find a good supply of waste oil, most people, if they produce a lot, use it for heat and to move oil over the road in New York you would need permits, a lot of red tape etc. Still looking.

I have about 5 acres of topsoil about 1' to 2' deep, I have thought about selling it off. My guess is about 3,500 yards per acre times 5 is 17,500 yards at $20 per yards would be $350,000, correct me if I am wrong please. I think the town might not like the idea.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words!

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF 7775deere! :drinkup

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Cowboy! :drinkup

jmac

chipsearthworks, a friend of mine suggested just that! He thinks I could make a good auto shop out of the place. I would need a pretty good one to lift my dump truck up. I think you can buy a small one for around $3000.00 but I just don't see me getting into auto work, would be real nice to have, I think Dwan has one in his shop, he is a memeber on here.