• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first track loader!

boone

Nice Job
Must Be Nice to live in a state that doesn't require hundreds of feet of silt fence anytime the ground is scratched
Guv'ment watches thru Google Earth Sat

Thanks pittedmess. They may be watching, but if they haven't said anything yet I think we'll be safe. Like Scott said, out in the county most anything goes around here too. Neighbor has a big pond, but it's mostly spring fed and anything we do doesn't affect it. What does run to his place he's been concerned with us cutting off the water, but we've tried to be mindful of that too.

boone

About a year ago, we were bush hogging a field and there were an abundance of rats/mice that were scurrying everywhere. I was standing in the field and looked towards the tree line to see a very large coyote sitting there apparently looking right at me, which I'm sure he was looking for dinner.

I ran to the truck to grab my AR and he was gone before I got back. Don't like coyotes and I'll shoot them when I get a chance. They're not indigenous to Alabama, 30 years ago they were not here.

Quite a few around here. Not a fan of them either. Rats/mice too. I'm "facebook friends" with one of the neighbors across the road from the farm. I just noticed this weekend that she recently posted how she "HATED when they cut hay/bush hog across the road." Then she went on to tell about how many mice they've caught. We stir them up a bit. Oh well, we don't do it intentionally. I'll have to tell her they'll have one less copperhead in the house. :D Not sure that'll make her feel any better.

boone

Never had anything jump on my machine but a number of years ago a fellow running a JD 644 feller buncher for a friend had a porcupine come through his open roof escape hatch. His boss had warned him many times of the dangers of running with the hatch open due to a chance of a tree top breaking off and spearing him. The porcupine got the message home once and for all.

That's the kind of story you just can't make up. About the hatch, I'm that got the point across, pun intended.

boone

tree branches by the dozens, slap the snot out of me too..............

LOL, I can relate to that as well. I think I've had one slap my ear protection off. Wish we had risers and screens, but I suppose it's too late for that.

boone

Hoggin'

Did a bush hogging job for my cousin today on the hottest day of the summer...great timing. I've been cutting his place every year for the last 3 and have typically been cutting it in the winter so I can half way see where I'm going. I don't like to cut unfamiliar territory and I don't cut it often enough to be real familiar with it. I just cut this past January. It grows up quick. It was logged and then he had some of it cleared a few years ago. So there's hidden treasures all through-out :rolleyes:

He's getting ready to sell it and wanted to know if I could cut it this weekend.

Entrance from the road. Luckily the entrance wasn't too wooly so i could get my truck in the gate.

DSC06094-640.jpg

I stashed the tractor overnight in a spot out of view from the road.

DSC06096-640.jpg

This place is hilly with lots of variations in terrain

DSC06097-640.jpg

Gitty up ole blue!

DSC06099-640.jpg

Right off the bat I hit a ball of wire...lovely. Thankfully, the bush hog just coughed a little and spit it out. I thought I'd be spending the rest of the day cutting wire.

DSC06101-640.jpg

Last edited:

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
semi retired and angus cattle farmer
when I cut something that tall I always back in on the first pass then take half passes in forward the rest of it, constantly watching water temp. with half passes the rad is always exposed to clear air flow. just the way I do it.

boone

Funny you should say about the temp. There was a heat advisory today. Forecast 100 degrees and I felt every degree. I just replaced the thermostat and sending unit on this tractor as the last time I cut with it she was at the tip top of the green range.

The hottest it got today was 173.

temp-640.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I have an old Allis 180D 2wd, put a Bush Hog 3008 8 footer behind it and went after the place in Salem MO, was overgrown with sapling wild plum trees and looked much as you had to deal with. Took two full days of creeping into the mass until I had it mostly knocked down, from then on was a few hour mowing Awesome work wish I had your tractor!!.
DSC01751.jpg
DSC01753 (800x600).jpg

boone

DMiller, that's a nice clean cut. That 180 is sharp. I love the look of those Allis Chalmers. I see a few at the tractor shows and tractor pulls around here. Nice to see yours still putting in a hard days work.

Dickjr.

I can't tell what size that tractor is , but the 6610 and 5610 Fords would run up toward the hot mark sometimes due to being high in time. Dealers would tune them on the dyno and this was sometimes the result.

boone

I can't tell what size that tractor is , but the 6610 and 5610 Fords would run up toward the hot mark sometimes due to being high in time. Dealers would tune them on the dyno and this was sometimes the result.

Seems like I've read that also. This is the equivalent to the Ford 4610. It has the 3 cylinder 60 hp 203 in^3. The old thermostat was stuck pretty good. I think that was the main culprit, but you're right it might just run a little warm due to timing. I thought about getting a 160 degree thermostat, but I think it's good for now. 173 on the hottest day of the year in that mess seemed acceptable.

boone

I need a bigger weather proof tool box for my tractor. the deere box is way too small

The toolbox on this tractor is small, but it has a metal box attached to the fender. I barely get what I need stuffed in it, but usually my little gmc tool truck is nearby. :)

boone

101 uses of a trackloader

Few Saturdays ago we did a few odd jobs. Cleaned the barn loft out in preparation for some barn renovation work we're planning to do this winter. We're able to keep some of the equipment in the barn, so it's worth it to us to put some money into it to keep it around. Not to mention the sentimental reasons. It's been around for 100 years and we'd like to keep it around for a few more years.

Backed the loader up a feet from where it is in the picture and raised the bucket up to the edge of the inside loft (has a bigger opening than the door on the front) and started shoveling decades old hay into the bucket. We dumped 5 bucket loads in the field behind the barn. Talk about a dusty job.

DSC04821-640.jpg

The barn is going to be on our project list this winter. About 5 years ago we replaced a few beams and rebuilt some of the pillars. Put in new flooring and put several 4x4s in concrete to help prop up the interior structure. We've recently bought some cable and binders and hardware and are going to start reinforcing the upstairs, but first we have to pull some shifted sections back in place. The cleanout was in preparation for this winter work.