• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My OWN Fault

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Worked on more of those than wish to remember, BTW, there IS room to step forward of the ejector blade when partially loaded to power vomit then return to the damn pins frozen in place and wrapped in who knows what household waste, in standing liquids that make you wonder if will leave a odor.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Have you ever seen what the front of those trucks look like when you've had some wet weather?

Yep I do, regular washing helps with that and the company image. Actually owned one in a trash company I was partners in back in the mid 2000's. We had a tandem axle dual lift hook hoist, a tandem axle hook lift and one single axle hook in addition to our front loader.

The front load business was the money maker with the the 20 and 30 CY roll-offs next and the 10-15 CY dumpsters last.

Dug this up from the bowels of HEF -

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/new-dual-lift-truck.3190/

The garbage business can be very lucrative with the right sales program. We sold that company to a regional waste company in 2010 and my non-compete is long expired...:)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well the Regular Driver took Monday off AGAIN, and Guess Who gets tagged!!

I really do not mind, good break from monotonous dump truck work. Picked up 23 loads of excavated fill moved across town some 3 miles then backed in off a narrow dead end to spread for a NEW single lane almost alleyway on west side of Hermann. Started at 7, ended at 4:45 NO lunch break, just roundy round.
Old #26 and tosser Kane, we ride off before dawn tomorrow.

Have informed the boss am closing in on max income before SSI cuts way back, not losing my benefit and not pausing either. Needs to get some new bodies started, I was here to help during a rough spot, not permanent.

skyking1

The truck that picks up at work is a front loader. Uck. I was asked to "tamp down" the dumpster with the mini and it got pretty hung up for the truck driver. I told the guys we have to lighten up on that action :)

EDIT: Dmiller, you were good for helping out and you did have some fun. Time to get back to your projects.
<cracks the forum whip>

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
MORE Fun in the house this week. Coming up to Wife's 59th and our 35th anniversary, to which she agreed to go with her sis to visit Sis's Grand daughter and her Great Grands by Brittany, in AZ. Same grand daughter that felt Child Care was too expensive so quit her job that was making her house payment and lost that where also lost health insurance, Had to move in with her 'Boyfriend' George's Mother in Maricopa AZ, George failed to achieve a job to pay the bills even as handbills "Hiring NOW" were everywhere.

Anyway, significant birthday(Last of Fifties) and our 35th will be spent here with the dog. That and think on her switch hitting remarks as to the 'Farm', On Again, Off Again. Got all panties in a wad paranoid of the last chance to sell, freaked beyond scared and HAD to back away somewhat ungraciously, now she wants to do it different, JUST Sell the farming ground which she is having issues with understanding Capital Gains, unrecovered assets gains(Barn) but demands we look at selling the bulk of farm. I m NOT OK with this as she seems to be having some kind of swinging whatevers and cannot just decide what to do, I am certain this will not bode well either.

Did come to find, that even as SS will stop as cross the $18240) mark once I pass full retirement SS Age I can work for ANY amount of money and SS will no longer be victimized. Best yet is the months lost during this period are added back in then to bring my SS to a different $ level where could actually see a raise.

crane operator

I guess I don't understand the hurry to sell the farm ground at only 59 years old. If rented out its a secure income, or just have some cows on it. I wouldn't want anyone buying it and having a close neighbor. I'd only sell it if you were moving to a different place.

Unless you're going to put all the proceeds into bitcoin and ride the rocket. Then I totally understand.

Seriously, don't sell the farm.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
This is the Wife's plan, sell 62 Acres, keep 16 and house, pay off mortgage. Impediments to her thinking, taxes to pay for Capital Gain on the land, 15-20%, recovered 'investment' value of barn and fence on land, however most are over ten years old now. She only sees the loan pay off. So OK, then there is no land to use except the 16 acres around the house, I ask that magic question: 'Why then stay living here?'

She was perplexed, had not thought of such, is now gone to AZ with Sis In Law and be gone until the 17th. I will not discuss on phone.

Old Doug

Thanks DMiller makes me glade to be single and dept free but i wish i owned some more land. I have been through stuff like you are going through its no fun.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
She ATTEMPTED to start a distanced phone fight this morning, came up with some really off the wall BS as to why it SHOULD be better. Told her not til she gets home.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I sure hope that urge ever comes around here!

Only own five acres but have full use of another 4.5 next to use owned by ex-wife who lives in BC, Canada. Not 100% sure why she wants to keep it but at least I have use and get most of my fire wood off it and don't pay property tax on it.

Never had a mortgage on the house or property so only thing is school and other taxes. If moved into a apartment or other rental place we would I'm sure be spending more in six months than we do now in a year and not have the privacy we have now! Can not see another house from our property

skyking1

explain the capital gains exemption for selling land with home in one chunk. 500K for married couple, and you can put receipts of improvements, purchase cost, etc to keep the gain down.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
In Alabama 65 and older is exempt from paying property taxes. Any other states the same?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Maybe Alabama should be a state to retire too! Washington state only exempts a portion of property taxes if you are in poverty level status and retired.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Let me clarify that exemption is only for the house you homestead it doesn't include vacation homes or 2nd properties.