• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need advice: Case 580K Backhoe Transmission (phase3) Any information or knowledge is appreciated!

Cheryl Braun

We have been reconditioning a Case 580K backhoe and could use some advice & input from anyone knowledgeable on the phase 3 model. This is the newer style 580k and it’s very difficult to find information or experience on this model. Seems like everything pertains to the original 580K.

The problem is with the transmission. It runs perfectly….but It won’t go into 4th gear.
It goes halfway in, but then grinds a little and pops out. It doesn’t appear to be the linkage. We took the parking break off and need some advice before going any further. Does anyone know if I can take the next plate off without the gears falling out all over the place? I will post a picture. I would like to know what to expect if I open the next plate and if it can be done with it still on the machine or if it needs taken off to open it. Right now I have a machine that runs great in 1-3 gears and we redid all the cylinders so no leaks & very solid. The plate is Pandora’s box because I have no clue what will happen if opened. I have no idea if everything will scatter and never go back together- or if it’s just not worth it. At the same time, it would be nice to solve the last issue- It’s so close. I am having a really hard time finding someone who is familiar with the Phase 3, as I don’t think they were made for very long. If anyone is familiar with this model, or specifically this transaxle- I could use some much needed knowledge or advice!! Would appreciate your time and any thoughts you may have. Thank you- all input is welcome. Resized_20230822_093225.jpegResized_20230822_185737.jpeg

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
You are correct in assuming that the insides of the transmission will fall out if you remove the front cover with the transaxle still fitted to the machine.
To remove the cover, the transaxle needs to sitting on it's back with the front cover pointing skywards - so it needs to be removed from the machine to do so.

I'm guessing you have tried to adjust the 3rd/4th gearshift linkage to try to correct this problem?
Also, there is a detent mechanism in the shift lever pivot - when dry it would make changing gears difficult - it may need some lube.

There is a generous member of HEF that will likely offer you a pdf version of the service manual very soon - hold tight.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Unless you’re roading it a lot downhill or almost level 4th gear is pretty much useless.
Only time I use 4th is pretty much coasting.

Cheryl Braun

Thanks for the thoughts guys, we appreciate it. Yes, we have tried adjusting linkage and every thing we can think of, without opening the case. Even took the parking break off, which sits on the front of trans.
Definitely agree, not having fourth, isn't a giant deal- And from what I understand the series 3 doesn't do great in 4th on a good day. However, we were thinking of selling it & just feel like that would be the reason for a buyer to give bottom dollar. If you were going to purchase one with no 4th gear- would you buy it all & would you expect a deep discount? Thanks for the input!