• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new Deere 'G" series

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
I just sold a new 772G to a county that had always used Cat Motor Graders, they currently have 2-140G's and 3-140H's. They cover about 1000 miles of county road and didn't feel comfortable traveling without a steering wheel. These operators all have from 10 to 30 years experience running motor graders. Volvo was also included in the decision. They tried the Volvo 946 out for about 15 to 20 hours. They ran the Deere for about 15 hours total. The senior operator preferred the Deere to all the other machines. The new Volvo and Deere were both run under heavy snow conditions. The Volvo 6 wheel drive doesn't kick in until the rear wheels have turned a couple of revolutions, which can get you stuck in deep snow or turning around in deep snow.
With the Deere you can get it with the standard controls on the steering column or pilot controls on the armrests with a steering wheel that can be used at any time. Very comfortable!
People seem to prefer using the steering wheel while roading and winging snow, or for backing the machine up. There is also a finger control to steer with too, but the wheel overrides the finger tip control. So you can use either one.
The "G" Series is one of the best machines that Deere has ever built in my opinion.

Last edited:

CAT140H

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Hi IRONMAN
Why don't you post a couple pictures of the cab?
On the Jhon Deere site they don't say much about the grader or post any good pictures about the cab or the new control system. I wonder why?

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
I'll see if I can put a few on here. It seems like Deere is always behind on getting liturature out or pictures on the web site.

hvy 1ton

somebody posted a link to deere's industry mag that had an article about the G series and a few other pieces of equipment. It had quite a few pics and some good info, if a little biased.

9420pullpan

I tell you what after spending some time around the M Series. This Deere G Series is really going to bring some new innovations into the motor grader world. I love running graders. Just a few months ago I would have chosen an M series but after watching both of those videos I would love an opportunity to run one of these new G series. I do like how the mocked the Cat frame in the front, is there a specific reason why they changed it?

We need to find out where some of these machines are... i will keep my eyes peeled

roadrunner

Deere G simulator vs. Cat M simulator

I tried out the Deere simulator a few weeks a go and I am very impressed.They had a real cab from the G with all black windows and a flat screen to watch in the windshield.
It was comfortable and very easy to learn on because the old style lever pattern is exactly the same for the left and right side new controls.All the motions were the same as if you were operating an older grader.When I was steering with the lever , I quickly pulled back the steering wheel and felt totally in control again.Smart move DEERE!!:D
The Cross slope feature is awesome and very easy to set up on the large viewing screen on the steering column.On this column you also have all your guages and other warning alarms, almost like a small laptop right in front of you.
Deere has really put alot of nice features on this new machine and I think is going to pay off very nicely for them.I was talking to some of the rep's that helped design and test the G, and it was so refreshing having someone on the same page as yourself when asking questions about their new machine.Especially things like operating technique's in which only us operators would understand!

So now I will tell you about the Cat M simulator.
So I walked about 100 feet down the isle and tried out the Cat.What a difference it was, it was really hard to pick up over the Deere because all the left side functions on an older grader wre all mixed up with the right side functions.Why could they have not made the same functions on the left lever the same on the left joystick and same for the right? The buttons and triggers on the sticks wre spaced so far a part that you had to almost move your hand up and down and side to side, and twist and so on!!!
Not very operator friendly!
I have tried just about every joystick there is and this one is very uncomfortable.(Just about as bad as the palm-style joysticks with finger keypads in a Timberjack Harvestor.)

I also stood and watched alot of experienced Cat M operator's try the simulator out and were telling the Cat rep's the problem's they were having with their own machines and all thay got wre responses like----Well this is the first I have heard of that problem, it must be just your machine!---I really don't think that is what's wrong,nobody else is having that problem!-----Well you must not be doing it right, you have to move the joystick for steering different so it can sense what you want it to do?
Try telling those remarks to a 20-30 year plus operator!I cornered a few of the Cat operator after watching them on the simulator(when they were trying to explain their problems to the rep's) and they wre not very happy at all with their machine's.And nobody I talked to could snowplow at wide open speeds.Just not enough control they said!
Deere has did alot of nice features and improvements, and I think they are going to do well with their new machine.And yes this is coming from a Volvo guy!:confused:

My review is Deere G----:notworthy:D
Cat M-------:pointhead:(

roadrunner...

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
Thanks for the responses guys!
I love working with my customers that are very experenced like yourselves. I can run the equipment, but I have not had the time in the seat like you guys have had.
Most of the guys I work with started with 12F's or 140G's and worked their way through all the new models as they came along. I think you'll be seeing these machines around if there is a Deere dealer near you, and most of the dealers would like to have you take a drive!

G Model

Occupation
salesman
Can't wait until friday

Got a new Deere G Model we are picking up off a Job and I have a demo setup with one of my biggest accounts. I will try to get some good pictures to post.

Last edited:

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
Good Luck on that Demo, G Model!
I'm sure your customer is going to love the machine.
Please Keep us informed

G Model

Occupation
salesman
Rained out Demo

several inches of rain today, Machine has not moved since we dropped it off.
Hopefully better weather monday.

Alberta

Occupation
maintenance supervisor
several inches of rain today, Machine has not moved since we dropped it off.
Hopefully better weather monday.

Send it my way...still lots of snow to plow. Our 14Ms could use the help..:laugh:waving

G Model

Occupation
salesman
G series Pictures.

Still wet here but did manage to get the blade in the dirt.
I know these pictures are not as majestic as Randys but I just dont have the Backdrop he has to work with. And the fact he takes awesome pictures.img 902 cropped.jpg

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Still wet here but did manage to get the blade in the dirt.
I know these pictures are not as majestic as Randys but I just dont have the Backdrop he has to work with. And the fact he takes awesome pictures.

Not gonna lie. I was about to ask what you were doing posting Cat motor grader pictures in this thread...

Not that it's a bad thing; it's just the first reaction I had. ***

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
Deere G Series in Alaska

Scott
The City of Redoubt bought a new Deere G Series, but I heard the electronic governor shorted out causing the engine to over rev and blow up!!!! Not Good...:cool:

Attachments

• Redoubt 004 (Small).JPG
    Redoubt 004 (Small).JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 519

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
I just couldn't resist a little humor!!! It is a good looking grader, but that front axle geometry Hmmmmm? :)

G Model

Occupation
salesman
670G Video

Here is a little video I shot of the 670G

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPFix7zwlH4

Randy, as far as the front end all I can tell you is its an all wheel drive front end without the hydraulic components. Its probably a cost saving thing only having to make one front axle while getting the benefit of a stronger axle and more reliability with tapered roller bearings top and bottom, and with the AWD's its been bullet proof as far as I know.

Enjoy, Scott

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Ooh, I want one. I must say, the Mo Nesbitt fellow did contradict himself just a little, but I am so impressed with it, I just cannot wait for Bell to start bringing them in.