• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New found love.......

Louis 955 jr

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Alan627B last time I was out there last week, they told me Bob was no longer there. I was training under Randy Bates and Karen Stephens. I hopped on that 140G but the air line froze up and that being my first time I parked it. But I got on that 27B again, Im still gettin a diesel rush from that engine (if it starts) haha

excavator22

Back in 1996 when I got my apprenticeship thru Lcl 139 in Milw., I told them I didnt care what machine they would put me on and the next day they put me on a Fiat Allis 262B scraper and I loved it, call me crazy I dont care. I wanted to run anything and I loved moving dirt. I spent 3 months on them till they moved me to a Link Belt 2700q and 4300q digging footings for commercial buildings then underground utility work. I love to dig but I gotta say I kinda miss scrapers here and there.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
scrapers are what you make them, if your tearing up your body your tearing up the machine. some outfits want you to saccrifice your body, you need to wrk for someone who takes care of the haul roads and makes it a priority. keep your can low, dont horse the hydraulics or slam the blocks most of all have fun. alan is that a regular E or a E2 your operating?

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I think it's a series 2...right now it's 7 hours south of me. I came back home to Nebraska when winter (and reality) arrived in Kansas. They intend to try and re-start the job and work 24/7, I'm not sure mother nature will co-operate with that. In the meantime, there's unemployment, which pays better than most of the weeks I worked down there!
If I get re-called, I'll check the E to see what it is. At least it had a heater....
Alan

Louis 955 jr

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Alan I've been outta work for about two months and I can't train due to the weather. It's driving me crazy haha. I'm ready to move some dirt.

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
As someone said, "the funnest way to shift dirt"

scrapers are what you make them, if your tearing up your body your tearing up the machine. some outfits want you to saccrifice your body, you need to wrk for someone who takes care of the haul roads and makes it a priority. keep your can low, dont horse the hydraulics or slam the blocks most of all have fun. alan is that a regular E or a E2 your operating?

Good advice. Be precise in where & what you load as you usually have to drive over it later. Make sure that you go for a walk each day & stretch your legs (exercise) as they are a key part of your human suspension, bad posture is the downfall of many an operator.:(
Usually if you like riding motorcycles, operating scrapers gives a similar buzz (and you get paid for it too) ;)

Panhandler Bob

Occupation
operator
Thirty something yrs. ago the first time I climbed in the seat of a pan/scraper Grumpy old George the push cat op. says Hey boy there's three leevers in there leever A leever B and leever C, if your smart you'll LEEVER B. Nother one of his says was If your not p*ssin blood at the end day your not runnin hard enuff. You come in here and F$$K-UP my cut I'll hit you so hard you'll see your ancesters. Learned a h*ll of a lot from Grumpy old George. As been stated already learn how to runem the right way, be with an outfit that takes care of the roads, a push cat hand that knows what he's doin, they can be a lot of fun. Good Luck :drinkup Bob

JS82

how do you start the rear engine in those twin engine scrapers? out here in vegas i have never operated or been on a job with twin engines! i have only seen a couple on other jobs, not very common around here. I am trying to find a place to jump on one and check them out i am very interested

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
how do you start the rear engine in those twin engine scrapers?

I heard a few stories of guys running the front engine to x 1000 rpm for so many seconds as thats how they were told it started the back engine, others that it started when the C@t buttoned up, all sorts of terrible tales just like being told at 22yrs old that santa wasnt real :eek: I was devestated till I found out it was a lie :D

On the Cats I believe you will find a seperate panel beside the rear engine. :drinkup

On the UK spreads the black gang check um and fire them up. If we got to work and it wasnt running we were not allowed to start it. It weren't running for a reason. ;)

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Rear Engine

First time that I drove a 637 (been on single engine elevators for years) up a 5:1 irrigation storage bank & wondered why it wouldn't turn :eek: didn't know to back off on the rear engine :eek:

Panhandler Bob

Occupation
operator
Startin rear engine on Double barrel pan/scraper

JS82, Step 1: check all fluids, Step 2: Make sure master/disconnect switch is in the on/run position, on Cat E&F models 2 switches, front & rear (if memory serves me right, 1995 last time I ran one that new) Step 3: Climb up in cab start front engine, Cats have a remote starter switch and rear trans disconnect, right hand side of dash, trans in neutral while startin, remember to re-engage trans.. If remote don't work you gotta climb back outta cab walk to rear of machine there'll be a box with gauges & starter switch, when you hit the switch/button turn your head, fan will throw dirt/dust in your face! Step 4: Do a walk around look for leaks, any problems, damage,etc. Step 5: Climb back in cab Step6: FASTEN SEAT BELT Step 7: Adjust air & stereo LOL Step 8: Go for a ride & be safe. Hope this answers your question.:drinkup Bob

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
JS82, Step 1: check all fluids, Step 2: Make sure master/disconnect switch is in the on/run position, on Cat E&F models 2 switches, front & rear (if memory serves me right, 1995 last time I ran one that new) Step 3: Climb up in cab start front engine, Cats have a remote starter switch and rear trans disconnect, right hand side of dash, trans in neutral while startin, remember to re-engage trans.. If remote don't work you gotta climb back outta cab walk to rear of machine there'll be a box with gauges & starter switch, when you hit the switch/button turn your head, fan will throw dirt/dust in your face! Step 4: Do a walk around look for leaks, any problems, damage,etc. Step 5: Climb back in cab Step6: FASTEN SEAT BELT Step 7: Adjust air & stereo LOL Step 8: Go for a ride & be safe. Hope this answers your question.:drinkup Bob

Good thorough set of instructions Bob :)
As my departed dad used to say "when all else fails, read the instructions" :eek: (the operators manual) ;)

Lee-online

I spent the entire year, (2007) rebuilding some Army 621's I did 5 throughout the year. Took them down to the frame and rebuilt them replacing all electrical, hoses, bearings, rebuilt the engine, trans, cylinders and a long list of other required parts. They looked brand new when finished.
It is a shame they went back to the army because they will just sit again.
they were all from the early 1980's and all had less than 800 hours, one only had 250 hours and i believe most of the hours were idle time.

Attachments

• Image_105.jpg
    Image_105.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 306
  • Image_106.jpg
    Image_106.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 297
  • Image_107.jpg
    Image_107.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 306
  • Image_108.jpg
    Image_108.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 301
  • Image_115.jpg
    Image_115.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 297

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
They looked brand new when finished..

LOOKED! christ they were with the work you done to um :cool:

It is a shame they went back to the army because they will just sit again.
they were all from the early 1980's and all had less than 800 hours, one only had 250 hours and i believe most of the hours were idle time.

Unbelievable that they would have that amount of work done, when we all know what they really need is a pile of dirt to shift. :crying

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Wer've got one of those 621B's at out local's training site...I wonder why all the military units are spec'd without cushion hitches? A local contractor bought 3 of them a few years ago, around 800 real hours on each...they then bought the hitch catings and accumulators and converted all 3. Nicest 621B's I've seen in years.
It's amazing how the government wastes our money. Just like all those rusted up D7's you see for sale, with low hours.
Thanks for the pics.
Alan627b

Lee-online

I guess the military needs them ready to go in case WW3 starts.
I also did a D7 and a coworker did three 120 All stripped to the frame and rebuilt. It is part of a SLEP program. (Service Life Extension Program)

goodearth13

Occupation
Patrol Man for Sioux County
Ran a J-621 elevator scraper for 12 years & have the bad shoulder to prove it. The levers were so far back that your right shoulder was rolled nearly out of socket while you had your hand on the levers, which was all of the time as it was the best place to hang onto when the haulroads were rough. Which was almost always. The J designation was for the Johnson Brand scraper that was the elevator portion of the scraper. These machine would move a pile of dirt all by themselves & were a really a great finish machine. I worked at the John Wayne Airport in SoCal & the contactor sent the blade man off to another job & I did all of the fine grading until the very end of the project when the moved the blade back in to blue top the grades. A 621 is a great machine to learn on, so that when you screw up its not such big a mistake. Enjoy the experience while you're young, but keep your eye on all of the machines & learn how to run them. A finish operator on any machine is always the last to get laid off.
C Ya, Patrol Man (Dan) goodearth13