• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland LS160 battery light / tach shutdown

Fish_Hunter

New to the site and in need of some help. I have a new to me new holland ls160 that has an intermittent problem. The battery light starts flashing and beep as well. It then will shut off the skid steer. Starts right back up every time. Voltage reads 14.4 when running and 12.6 when off. This is somehow related to the tachometer. When I have the tach pulled up on the display and the tach is reading properly the engine runs no issues but then all the sudden the tach starts to drop rpm( not the engine just the gauge) then the battery light flashes and the engine shuts off???? Any help much appreciated. Thanks

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
You likely have a faulty alternator. The tach reading comes from the alternator.
Early machines could not read over a certain voltage (14.5V or something close to that), so your likely getting a voltage spike from the alternator, which makes the AIC unhappy and shuts you off.

I would start with replacing the alternator.

Fish_Hunter

I think your on the right track! I’ve cleaned and tightened all the connections related to the alternator and now my issue has gone away. Ran it about 3 hours with zero shutdown. I’ll post with update if I end up having to replace the alternator. Thanks for the help!!