• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

mulister

Gday mates, ive been on the building game for 5 years, working as a scaffolder atm but the sore back is takin its toll, i tried to get dogman ticket and start working with cranes, but really i just had few jobs here and there, it can be very hard to get a job as a green guy and have to lie that you have experience when you don't.

Im moving to an area where there is plenty of civil work, gold and coal mines and sugar cane farms.

I was thinking to start with something like roller, scrapper, dozer, front loader, tipper truck.

Do you guys have any advice on that machines ? i mean , dont wanna waste time and money as i did on the dogging ticket.

Thanks a lot in advance lads.

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF, mulister !
I can only comment about the need to lie (not tell truthfully) about anything you ever want to operate.
You will be exposed as soon as you are asked to operate anything.
That will be hard on your reputation and you most likely would lose your job.
You are choosing a career that will punish your sore back for years to come.
I speak with over 40 years operating all kinds of construction equipment.
I do wish you good luck tho. :)

aighead

Indeed, hello mulister!

To add to Tinkerer's note, and to take my turn as the safety patrol, when lying about heavy equipment it could be a life and death matter. I think this because you mentioned cranes which seem to be a big factor in a lot of accidents. I don't ever want to read that someone in these great forums had an accident that killed someone and lying about your experience may well put you in a spot for that kind of accident more quickly than not. It's a shame that we can't get jobs without experience but can't get experience without jobs, but not at the cost of lives. I also wish you luck, there is a ton of great info here, keep checking in!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have you attempted a apprentice program entry or getting ride/seat time as a Plebe with a local Contractor. Many are seeking operators with few answering the ads, could be could accidentally schlep into a decent position as a trainee.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Have you attempted a apprentice program entry or getting ride/seat time as a Plebe with a local Contractor. Many are seeking operators with few answering the ads, could be could accidentally schlep into a decent position as a trainee.
Apprentice programs here are run by wanabes who are be neverbes. Mulister don't look for the big contractors when the small fellas are looking for good honest blokes who are on time every time. They are more likely to cut you the slack in order to get you up and running. The pay may not be as good but the experience is invaluable
BTW were in QLD is home?

AzIron

Spend a minute and find out who the more reputable small guys are in the area under 25 employees even better with less they will probably pay a lot less but small outfits get a lot of variety with more hands on training at the job

The trick is once you pick who you want to work for know why you want to work there and apply do not call everyday asking that annoys people but call once a week if they need help and you have shown good job history and you have made your presence known by being persistent for a job you will get hired