• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Nice load O logs

Sharky

I see Dwan posted some pics in another thread of my old boss' truck and one of the shovels I moved many times in the 12 1/2 years I worked there.

Here is one my beauty loads. Had a nice 3 log load years ago, but never had the digital. This one was a "Stop light dodger" Over 17' high.

Attachments

• sharkys pics 216 Loggin.jpg
    sharkys pics 216 Loggin.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 2,101
  • sharkys pics 227.jpg
    sharkys pics 227.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 2,104

Tri-Star

If DOT seen something like that around here they would put you under the jail!!!

Sharky

About 135,000 gross. We never worried alot about weights until a couple years ago. I mean, we would get checked and occasionally busted, but 80% of the loads I hauled were WAY over.

It was the 200k gross loads that a guy sweats on a little, but still did them more times then I could ever remember. We had 3, 63 ton hoes, and 2, 70 ton shovels. Permits were something we would get regularly, but many times would not. Though I moved the stuff for years, all the time. Also tons of other gear, being we were the only "Heavy" move outfit in town. Logging was going big in Southeast and Driving the lowboy was a near full time job.

Here is another machine I have moved several times and still run on a regular basis. 14' wide, 120 ton Peerless lowboy. C 500 K Dub, Gross out at about 220,000. 75 ton Hoe, and the tractor/trailer combo is about 75,000 (empty).

Just dont look back:Banghead

Attachments

• Sleddin 06 and 07 003.jpg
    Sleddin 06 and 07 003.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,955
  • Sleddin 06 and 07 005.jpg
    Sleddin 06 and 07 005.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,951

stepp3360

sharky, any more pictures of the Peerless 120 ton lowboy? Side view or the goose neck? Please keep up great post.
John

Sharky

sharky, any more pictures of the Peerless 120 ton lowboy? Side view or the goose neck? Please keep up great post.
John

Here are a few of the 120's. We had 2 120's, one 100, a 70 and a couple 60's.

Also attached is the 1951`60t peerless with the shovel and shear attachment on it. Close to a 100 ton gross load.

Sharky

:bash

Attachments

• sharkys pics dan moller and mt. troy 785.jpg
    sharkys pics dan moller and mt. troy 785.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,893
  • sharkys pics dan moller and mt. troy 789.jpg
    sharkys pics dan moller and mt. troy 789.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,908

Sharky

:usa

Attachments

• Sleddin 06 and 07 009.jpg
    Sleddin 06 and 07 009.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,846
  • sharkys pics dan moller and mt. troy 790.jpg
    sharkys pics dan moller and mt. troy 790.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,871
  • Hawk Inlet 060a.jpg
    Hawk Inlet 060a.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,886

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Nice load O logs:

Really nice pictures Sharky... another thing, and I don't know what time of year the pictures were taken, is your weather and terrain.

On any given day from late fall, to early spring... if I were some how transported to your area... and didn't know it... I'd swear I was within a
quarter mile of where I sit right now.

It's amazing how similar every thing looks.

Keep the pictures comming... :thumbsup... :thumbsup

OCR

stepp3360

Sharky,
I really appreciate you posting these extra pictures. I'm a fan pf Peerless lowboys.

Never made it to the Panhandle area in all my years in Alaska, sorry to say.
Thanks,
john

Sharky

I enjoy taking pictures, however, I just recently got the digital a few years ago. I have hundreds of others in boxes from over the years that just take up space, I wish I could transfer them somehow. I have some good ones.

The one posted here, came out of Kake originally I believe, the other (With the addition above the gooseneck) is one that whitestone logging used for years, and when they sort of went belly up, we got it. Nice trailers, except when you gotta fix a flat, and being the tire guy too, I did several:mad:

You gotta be on the ball on most of the logging roads we use them on. Average width was 14-16' with turnouts. At 14' wide, it dont leave much room for error. We had a mechanic flop out portable Extec jaw off the side of this one when he got too close to the shoulder.:Banghead

Here is an 8R I was moving with it at the Greens creek mine.

OCR, these are all S.E. pics, Similar to montana in some ways, except elevation, Most mountains here rairly exceed 3500'. And if they are any higher, nobody ever goes there.

Attachments

• Hawk Inlet 034.jpg
    Hawk Inlet 034.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,767
  • Hawk Inlet 038.jpg
    Hawk Inlet 038.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,763
  • Hawk Inlet 039.jpg
    Hawk Inlet 039.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,757

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Scanners are cheap these days Sharky.You can scan pictures or negatives with a transparency adapter.Many folks are just taking photos of their old pics with a digital camera too and I have seen some good results from that effort.Hope to see some of yours,I do enjoy seeing the older equipment in use.Ron G

Iron Horse

This is a 280 hp M.A.N i used to drive when i was 18 , 49 now . This load is two pieces of the head of a tree , the center of the tree was a 1 log load and the butt was a 1 log load , 3 loads from the 1 tree . There was a big "greenie" march in our town , they where trying to stop us logging . My truck and the other two parked in the middle of the parade end to end in defiance , if looks could kill i would not be typing this .

Attachments

• 2 log load.jpg
    2 log load.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,671

Wolf

Iron Horse:

That is one heck of a tree. How old do you think that tree was, and what kind of tree is it? I think that is so funny how you handled the "greenie" march against logging. I guess you gave them a good look at the tree, considering they had probably never been out of the city and into the forest to know what they were talking about. Good for you. Have you had any other good encounters with the "greenies" since then.

Iron Horse

Wolf , from memory it was a Black Butt . I could tell a few stories about "Greenies" . A couple that spring to mind , a Dread Lock headed grub of a thing decided it would be a cool idea to dig a hole in the middle of our main access road . I'll give him one thing , he was a good worker . He had dug a hole 6 feet deep and stood a concrete pipe on it's end in the hole .The forestry was going to put it and another under the road end for end for drainage . He got inside and chained himself to the lifting eye so our trucks could not pass . One of our old guy's who had a zero tolerance and would put you on your back in a heartbeat tipped the sugar out of his glass jar and walked into the bush . He came back with that jar filled with very angry Bull Ants and tipped them into the hole . Old mate in the hole was yelling out in pain and the funniest thing was that his stupid mates could'nt find the key to the lock .:D:D Another clever chap cut 3 poles about 20' long and made a tripod and made a nest for himself at the top of it . He was sitting at the top giving cheek to some pretty hard truckies at the bottom . It was only a matter of time before one of them grabbed the bottom of 1 pole and walked away , gravity is a wonderfull thing .:drinkup

Wolf

Wolf , from memory it was a Black Butt . I could tell a few stories about "Greenies" . A couple that spring to mind , a Dread Lock headed grub of a thing decided it would be a cool idea to dig a hole in the middle of our main access road . I'll give him one thing , he was a good worker . He had dug a hole 6 feet deep and stood a concrete pipe on it's end in the hole .The forestry was going to put it and another under the road end for end for drainage . He got inside and chained himself to the lifting eye so our trucks could not pass . One of our old guy's who had a zero tolerance and would put you on your back in a heartbeat tipped the sugar out of his glass jar and walked into the bush . He came back with that jar filled with very angry Bull Ants and tipped them into the hole . Old mate in the hole was yelling out in pain and the funniest thing was that his stupid mates could'nt find the key to the lock .:D:D Another clever chap cut 3 poles about 20' long and made a tripod and made a nest for himself at the top of it . He was sitting at the top giving cheek to some pretty hard truckies at the bottom . It was only a matter of time before one of them grabbed the bottom of 1 pole and walked away , gravity is a wonderfull thing .:drinkup

Great stories. You really put those greenies in their place. That is too funny. Any more good stories like that? Did they ever stop your logging? Probably not--the trees come down in the end, so what is the point of all their nonsense?

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
OCR you from any ware around the Flathead? I know that area sure looks a lot like here except it is a bit dryer. I have seen some big loads there in my time.

Sharky, is there still any old equipment around Whitestone? I was told there use to be an old AW grader out there that belong to Bicknell.

Last edited:

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Nice load O logs:

OCR you from any ware around the Flathead? I know that area sure looks a lot like here except it is a bit dryer. I have seen some big loads there in my time.

No Dwan... I live on the other side of town... :) _______ State of course... ;)

Just a bit east of I-90... and just a little more east of the Big Horn Mountains,
about 20 miles from the Wyoming border.

I actually live in what is called " The Wolf Mountains ".

Now don't you go and try tracking me down with Google Earth... :nono... :laugh

There's kinda' a micro climate in a small area here and we have some good
ponderosa pine... probably not like your area... but I've cut a lot of 30 inch
DBH...and some bigger. Another thing is, they're tall and straight, few limbs... not bull pine, like in a lot of the rest of the area, a little farther away.

Take care,

OCR