• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Lincoln Welder

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Me and my miller 300 syncrowave are pretty good buddy's. I'd love to find one of these sae 400s with a detroit I've good some air arcing to do at 3 am after the muffler falls off ;)

Sounds like you have a neighbor like one of ours. I don't have any air arcing to do but I guess I could pretend I knew what I was doing on some chunk of scrap just to "entertain" them.

Problem is there is another neighbor right across the street from them that I have no problems with, guess I would have to find a time when the good ones were out of town!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm surrounded by vacant houses, others are vacation homes. Only one set of full time neighbors, both are deaf. Nearest vacation house is owned by 80+ year old couple. When we talk face to face I have to use ALL of my thunderous voice to be heard. 250 feet away from my garage, windows closed & their AC on, they don't notice grinding noise.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Me and my miller 300 syncrowave are pretty good buddy's. I'd love to find one of these sae 400s with a detroit I've good some air arcing to do at 3 am after the muffler falls off ;)View attachment 278844
I had a friend that bought one at an auction in Titusville, there were a few for sale, the Amish were all over them.

One IIRC sa-200 with a 2-53.

He bought IIRC a sa-600 with a 4-53, or maybe a 4-71.

I used it once....I had to bring some leads, only had maybe 20' long leads, to weld chain grab hooks onto his loader bucket.

No way could I hear the arc, and I had nightmares of being run over by a fast approaching city bus....:D

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Me and my miller 300 syncrowave are pretty good buddy's. I'd love to find one of these sae 400s with a detroit I've good some air arcing to do at 3 am after the muffler falls off ;)View attachment 278844
Those cans look to have a slightly different shape to their bottoms. That's a tricky weld to make. Soda cans are lined with plastic, so contamination is a problem, I've heard they are 300 series aluminum. I find low amps the arc wants to fire to the side instead of firing to the joint.

Tyler d4c

Those cans look to have a slightly different shape to their bottoms. That's a tricky weld to make. Soda cans are lined with plastic, so contamination is a problem, I've heard they are 300 series aluminum. I find low amps the arc wants to fire to the side instead of firing to the joint.
Grind it to a point fixes most of that I never ball the tungsten like they tell you too

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer

Tyler d4c

Depends what type of machine you're using. Older transformer machines the tungsten would ball on its own. Newer inverters call for a pointed tungsten.
This one will about make the point in to a nice round end if your hot enough but doing fine work it will stay pointed. It's a old transformer but I always start a new tungsten with a point and let it do what ever suits it

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Grind it to a point fixes most of that I never ball the tungsten like they tell you too
Come to think, I last tried with a sine wave welder & balled tungsten. Might work better with inverter welder. I found it necessary to hang back a bit on the weld bead with arc focus. The fumes coming out when I burned through were noxious.

Welder Dave

You need a machine with really good low amp control. If you really want a challenge try welding tin foil. Knew a guy that all he did was specialty Tig welding and could weld tin foil. His dad owned a specialty welding shop. Need a machine that goes down to about .5 amps if I recall. Aluminum cans were kind of routine for him. His weld had perfect evenly spaced ripples like you'd see on thicker aluminum. When he went through his apprenticeship Tig was just an introductory part of it and you couldn't fail. He was ticked off because they only gave 65, 70 or 75% for the Tig scores. He did 1 Tig weld and it was better than the instructors. They asked him to help the other students.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
You need a machine with really good low amp control. If you really want a challenge try welding tin foil. Knew a guy that all he did was specialty Tig welding and could weld tin foil. His dad owned a specialty welding shop. Need a machine that goes down to about .5 amps if I recall. Aluminum cans were kind of routine for him. His weld had perfect evenly spaced ripples like you'd see on thicker aluminum. When he went through his apprenticeship Tig was just an introductory part of it and you couldn't fail. He was ticked off because they only gave 65, 70 or 75% for the Tig scores. He did 1 Tig weld and it was better than the instructors. They asked him to help the other students.
A guy on Welding Web demonstrated welding foil. squeezed two layers between copper chill blocks & welded it up easy as pie.

Welder Dave

The shop his dad owned had a micro Tig torch for getting into really tight area's. They also had a Fuji Turbo die grinder than spun about 125,000 RPM's. They did some pretty interesting jobs.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Depends what type of machine you're using. Older transformer machines the tungsten would usually ball on its own but maybe with one of the newer types of tungsten would hold a point. Newer inverters call for a pointed tungsten.
Square wave power is much more effective at cathodic etching. An older technology transformer welder is sine wave. current dies totally at direction change in AC. Square wave doesn't stop, it only changes direction. Gas ionization isn't lost. The return stroke (EP) is more easily established. I estimate cleaning action square wave 25% EP as similar to 50/50 sine wave.
Less EP means less heat on the tungsten. It doesn't deform as quickly, holds its point.
Sine wave welders, any alloyed tungsten deforms & risks bits of tungsten in the aluminum weld. You would use pure tungsten, forms a liquid ball, but holds its shape.

Paepae

View attachment 175244 I was back in the shop burning some rods(a/c obviously) and wondered who is still using something similar in age or older?
I bought this as is for $20.00 from one of our drivers and it just won’t quit, smooth and quiet as a mouse. Let’s see your machines.
Hi Repowerguy, I have (it looks like)?the same welder which I inherited. I want to know the model so I can get a manual for it. It says the Code # is 1020. And what the year may be.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0859.jpeg
    IMG_0859.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0858.jpeg
    IMG_0858.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5