• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

cfherrman

Local weld shops have some big pickup winch trucks. 450-550 chassis, long bed with a tailboard, run around 20k# they can do all the real work a big truck can do except height. I guess their poles are still only 10-12'. My poles are 10' I think with 12' of total height.

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
When I first started in the electrical trade, it was still predominately slide-rules. Young engineer would have some doubts about his calculations and add 5% to everything. Next engineer up the chain would check numbers, have some doubts and add another 5%. All along the line until the finished product was presented the magic 5% would be added at each step. that for the most part is why so many old things were so overbuilt; "just another 5% to be sure..."
Now, with computers, if a building is designed for a 6.0 earthquake it will stand one. However, give it a 6.00001 and that sucker is a heap of rubble. Computers do have the ability to cut costs with construction. Not sure if I'm comfortable with that.
Airplanes are now built the same way, with computers doing the calculations. Has been great for increasing load weights!

Welder Dave

Was watching an episode of Mayday where a plane crashed because the load shifted. Every load is basically engineered and carefully calculated exactly where it should be placed. Even the cargo straps are fully calculated. When close to max. payload it is especially critical everything is perfectly placed and secured.

colson04

For taking to the oil patch, where they throw money at you like water from a fire hose, which the roughnecks then throw at the strippers until its gone.

Then they pray for just one more oil boom, because they'll really work at saving during the next boom.... its the circle of life.
Some of us did save...

skyking1

Was watching an episode of Mayday where a plane crashed because the load shifted. Every load is basically engineered and carefully calculated exactly where it should be placed. Even the cargo straps are fully calculated. When close to max. payload it is especially critical everything is perfectly placed and secured.
One of those happened at Bethel airport in 92
It was a shorts skyvan with (8) 55 gallon drums of fuel on their sides. The anchor broke and they rolled right to the tail on liftoff, and it went about as straight up as it could, then fell back to make a big fireball. 8 extra barrels of fuel will do that for you.
https://www.baaa-acro.com/crash/crash-short-sc7-skyvan-3a-variant-200-bethel-1-killed

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
Thanks for this site. It should be required reading to get a CDL. I glanced through the air brake failure section and it confirmed what I always knew. Brake imbalance is one of the most common problems. I carried a digital laser thermometer with me and every once in a while, after a long grade, I would check the temp at each drum & document it. Then when they cooled a bit I would tighten or loosen accordingly.

skyking1

Tiger Mountain westbound is getting so rough that I followed a 20 MPH oversize down it, a big crusher screen plant. he threw some sparks but I could not figure out from where.
Regular loads are going down it at 35 or so. It is not on the signage, this is just common knowledge. It is BS as far as I am concerned, they need a max 35 on it for the trucks till they get it fixed. Some poor schmuck is going to lose it.

cfherrman

There's this rig I had to drive every once in awhile, it only had brakes on the front drivers and they were to the steel. the front looked brand new and were adjusted, the rear axle was also brand new and adjusted, well the driver side was the pass side has a broken s cam.

I would drive it about 30 mph or less and took crap for driving slow, fix the brakes dude. Truck is still like that last time I saw it. I figured it put all the brake air to the front driver axle. Truck weighs probably 60k.

Truck Shop

I'm really conservative. I do the old school rule that I go down a hill at the same speed that I can climb it. I put the four ways on and do most of my descents in eighth.
That put me at about 30-35 on Tiger mountain when it used to be drivable lol.
Edit:
Haha I just watched the video.
I'm about 68k
He could run a little faster, up to 38 to 39 on full jake. That has a DD15 I believe, very strong jakes,
will hold 100,000 on Cabbage 6 miles 6% at 38 to 40 in 7th with a DT12 auto shift at 2100 rpm
steady with no air applied.

skyking1

I leave my 3406 on the high setting most of the time. It is kind of nice to run low Jake, though, it's like having a little reserve in your pocket.
I tend to apply enough air now and again to flash my brake lights at people approaching, and coincidentally bring my speed down a little bit.

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
Around here you would never get anything done if you went down hills so slow no air brakes needed to be used. But you can set up so it is mostly Jakes with the occasional light foot pedal and that will do it. Kind of a middle ground.

I would be interested in what Pops52 has to say about that, he lives in the same area.
BV I would agree with that at 80K. Headin down 49 or coming down from the 5 mile house and down into Penn Valley with 100K+ I would try to take it slow & easy. But there are a bunch of short 10-15% hills up here that will get ones attention. For whatever it's worth, I moved up here from Santa Maria in 09. Drove the lowbed for Manuel Bros for a year til they closed the doors in Feb 13. Drove the lobed on & off for C&D (retired 3 times with them) from 2014 til 2 years ago and retired for good . I think....... Maybe our paths will cross someday, I'll buy the coffee or a drink.
Dave
PS It wasn't me that had the IT-28 roll off the back of the lowbed in Newcastle or got in a fight with the end dump driver in 2018....;)

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Running fast down hill to save 3 minutes ? -it's about your average speed over entire distance,
how long in the seat that counts. Plus it depends on who's paying the bill for brakes and drums
or air disc which are really expensive. Company drivers don't tend to care but OO's do.

Last edited: