• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

JaredV

I like to find a speed that makes the Jakes do as much work as possible and maybe just touch the brakes from time to time. I use the fan as a fourth stage of the Jake. But then I'm always running the same hills more or less so I know what to expect. I always like it when I hear someone coming down a steep hill in the woods with too much Jake. They're trying to go slow which is good but they're constantly cutting the Jake for a second to keep revs from getting too low instead of using a lower setting. BRRRrrrrt---BRRRrrrrt---BRRRrrrrt

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I like to find a speed that makes the Jakes do as much work as possible and maybe just touch the brakes from time to time. I use the fan as a fourth stage of the Jake. But then I'm always running the same hills more or less so I know what to expect. I always like it when I hear someone coming down a steep hill in the woods with too much Jake. They're trying to go slow which is good but they're constantly cutting the Jake for a second to keep revs from getting too low instead of using a lower setting. BRRRrrrrt---BRRRrrrrt---BRRRrrrrt
I pretty much agree with all the above. Trucks I have driven to myself don't tend to ever wear out shoes or pads. But I am not afraid to use them a little, now and then.

Another thing is these canyon roads. They meander down one side of the canyon for a few miles, cross the bridge, and up the other side. You can use a little more air brake there because there is not enough time on the downhill for everything to get hot before you start going up the other side.

Truck Shop

I like reading these reply's. Having worked recovery I've seen the worst. Having been in the
business, repair, towing, shop manager, owner operator plus having to deal with drivers 7 days
a week damn near most think they are some kind of Mario Andretti. The longer one drives
the odds are not in their favor. Just like Shake Hands with Danger complacency will get them.
Fact---One of our drivers was in the shop shooting his mouth off about how he could fly
down Cabbage at 55. I turned to Gayle and said {We haven't had a wreck, a bad one in six
years, we are over due-he's next}. One month to the day we get a call from dispatch-------
{Heath driver of 410 put it on it's side blocking I-84 at Lime Canyon south of Baker City.
Would one of you head that direction}. The area is posted 50 at that point.
It was a mess when I got there, too much to describe, driver was at the hospital.
He was about as lucky as they get, when it went on it's side the guard rail shot through
part of the hood, the dash missing his head by about an inch-cut the head rest off the
top of the seat and shot through the side of the sleeper.
I personally have cleaned up several from driving too close, too fast, too fast on a grade.
Average of 40 plus tons that can't be stopped on a dime. Don't know what's laying in
the road around the corner, didn't do a proper equipment check, pissed off at the boss,
pissed off at the girl friend or wife, doesn't matter the distraction it's distracted driving
combined with arrogance/complacency. Viola a disaster in the making driving with ones
head stuck in their ass.
I cleaned one up on the Vantage Grade 11 miles of 5 to 6.5% near the bottom, mile post
125 is the top at rest area 136 at the bottom. Worst mess I ever dealt with, witnesses
told the WSP the 45' flat cartwheeled 4 times end to end. Killed him.
Another I cleaned up Arrogantly said on the side of the sleeper {Flirting with Disaster}
killed him.
If you are depending on a electrical source in the engine to hold you back on a grade
and you have been using your brakes also, better hope you didn't get them warmed
to early, because if the jake goes dead and it has happened your in deep sh!t.
Hopefully no one else on the road will be involved. Truck wrecks have steadily risen
the statistics are easy to find.

skyking1

What you posted @Truck Shop is why I was not complaining about that heavy hauler doing 20 down Tiger the other night.
I want to be able to stop NOW if something goes sideways out in front of me. If the jake on the Cat or the exhaust brake on my personal truck fails, it won't be cause for panic.
Electric trailer brakes are another matter.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
All you western cowboys with your 7% grades and all . . . come to Wisconsin and relax. We take a 700' hill, call it Rib Mountain, and then build a ski resort on it and call that Granite Peak . . . :p

Truck Shop

All you western cowboys with your 7% grades and all . . . come to Wisconsin and relax. We take a 700' hill, call it Rib Mountain, and then build a ski resort on it and call that Granite Peak . . . :p
My brother went through his internship at Milwaukee General, I traveled back there to visit.
Corn fields, ant hills and the lamest rope tow ski bump I've ever seen. But the best Bratwurst
in the country with a scoop of custard ice cream to follow.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Taught in 76 'No faster DOWNHILL that came up, preferably Slower' by an old man working beside me. Was second call wrecker operator then, he was first up then retired and I ended up first call. Had to retrieve one in AR and drive two lane in the hills dragging it behind the old Diamond T, shifted A LOT!!

'77 was first run as a Truck Herder, not quite legal paperwork, still used paper license in those days, and Chauffeur License then. Mack F700, tandem, 45' reefer, Processed foods to CA then up thru valley to return with produce. Always a Stark memory that climbing Grapevine was tedious slow with the Bulldog so came down same speed even as empty where caught a load of flack from the 'Professionals'. Radio Crackled as to a runaway all to stay in Right lane, saw the flashing lights back up the hill looked back to the lights at hill bottom some miles to go, next glance at mirror the First of two cops running Lead for the steel hauler shot by, next was the hauler brakes billowing smoke, at least most of axle seals had cooked out, had to have been over 80 and still mileage to go. Kept it upright all the way into the median at bottom of grade, just a royal mess as got to where the truck was, engine fire being put out, had been a very pretty old Pete Long hood. Three fire trucks and a army of fire extinguisher carriers putting out the fires.

Stopped at TS for a break and dinner, everyone in there that had passed me going DOWN the grade said NOTHING and Knew I was the driver in the White F700 Bulldog. Truck was dragged in then trailer and hauled into the storage lot. Sat there a couple months before just disappeared on one last run thru there.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
SRW Dodge pulling this contraption.View attachment 287158
Yup, that's known as a tripple.
IIRC legal in 5 states.
Came up behind one heading east after visiting Rushmore.
Thought it was a motorhome pulling a boat just like that one.
Upon passing, I found a short (22'-24') 5th wheel, and a 1/2 Dodge stepside
"Little Red Wagon" with the dual stacks and wood sides.

If the owner would have tossed a 4 wheeler into the open boat, he'd have everything.

I read that they came with the 360 v-8 in them. Had his foot in it for sure, but was doing o.k.

Did not look dangerous at all, that one above ^^^ looks like a hazard.