• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

skyking1

The same brother that made that mistake with chicken manure. He did one season up at Dutch harbor on the crab processor.
Once they figured out he was a farm boy, they put him to work helping the engineers instead of working on the line.
Everything on the line gets pumped out of the ship. All the crab guts, pieces of shell. It all gets macerated up and pumped out hard lines.
One day that pump broke down and everything settled into the pipes. There was no way to clear them out except torching holes everywhere the pipe turned and digging out the blue rotten burned with a cutting torch crab stuff.
My brother said that was epic!
He did not have a hard stomach and I'm sure there's lots of retching involved.

terex herder

Re: becoming a nation of scofflaws. Of course we are. Part of that lays at the feet of Tricky Dick and his national 55 mph limit. The traffic cop allowed his bureaucratic handlers to turn him into a ta collector. An entire generation came of age knowing traffic laws were first and foremost about revenue collection and not about traffic safety.

Truck Shop

Re: becoming a nation of scofflaws. Of course we are.
Correct--you can't drive anywhere without being tailgated while driving the speed limit. And the fact
is some one in the 4 cars riding the tailgaters A$$ thinks he is driving too slow. Following the law?
{That's for others those laws don't pertain to me, and your holding me up so get off My highway.}

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Life was easier when old trucks gear bound at 55 mph were common. Drivers expected to encounter slower moving traffic. Also old people in Cadillacs drove 45 mph hunched over the steering wheel. Again people expected it. And dealt with it.

Don't see that now. Old people drive as fast as anybody. I drive right about at the speed limit and always end up in the truck lane.

A few occasions I have had to temporarily speed up to 80 mph on I-80, 65 mph speed limit. I was in the middle lane. The fast lane was still passing me like I was standing still.

Still I say, let them. It is not causing many wrecks and CHP does not seem to care, why should I?

Also in Ca, truck speed limit is 55 mph everywhere. I have never ever heard or seen that enforced. Trucks drive a little slower than traffic but not much. Never ever seen one travelling at 55 mph. You would think certain companies with restrictive GPS would know and enforce highway speed limits. But they don't.

Truck Shop

Still I say, let them. It is not causing many wrecks and CHP does not seem to care, why should I?
I have been waiting for someone to say that.
My thought is--it's obvious most think that way because most do it. So instead of erecting
speed limit signs, yield signs and stop signs--remove every one of them because nobody
obeys them.
And at the same time install speed/rev limiters on all EMT vehicles, if people want to act
like a$$es there's no need to hurry.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Served 5 years driving a residential maggot wagon before upgrading to front load and roll-off so pretty much immune to the funk as well, but hot fish and crab remnants are worse than rotten meat. P.S. just so happens had septic pumped this morning and the baffle for the tank had half fallen off. Yep , had to put a ladder in the tank to drill and Tapcon the baffle in place. Piece of cake.;)

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Just curious as not mentioned in report, why were these women standing between parked cars alongside the highway? Know the driver that crashed is at fault, just why were the women standing there?

Truck Shop

just why were the women standing there?
Probably like most college towns parking is a premium, more than likely waiting for traffic to clear
to enter their parked cars. Thing is they were standing between cars not at roads edge, best place to stand in that scenario, the fact he moved parked cars says it all--he was hauling a$$ way over limit.

stinky64

Occupation
Were you drafted or enlisted?
Enlisted, job of a lifetime, got paid to pick and it was legal to look through everyone's trash. Most routes were in "affluent" towns and neighborhoods, people with more money than brains. You wouldn't believe the good crap we liberated from the curb. Some of my friends refer to my home as the garbage museum.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My BIL would be Proud!! He worked METRO STL, used to drive city streets on Large Trash day with a pickup and trailer, TONS of Goodies, Once used and rotten gas fouled chainsaws, String Trimmers, mowers, Lawn Furnishings that were either 'Dated' or out of tolerance for style or just time to spend money again. Garage Sale MASTER!!!

stinky64

Occupation
Snobville :D There's a large island in the middle of the Niagara River kinda close to the falls called Grand Island and property is pretty pricey. Some of us poor folk refer to as Snob Island..

stinky64

Occupation
My BIL would be Proud!! He worked METRO STL, used to drive city streets on Large Trash day with a pickup and trailer, TONS of Goodies, Once used and rotten gas fouled chainsaws, String Trimmers, mowers, Lawn Furnishings that were either 'Dated' or out of tolerance for style or just time to spend money again. Garage Sale MASTER!!!
Have fixed and flipped countless mowers, snowblowers, trimmers and cheap chainsaws. Usually bad fuel or fouled plug, they just don't know any better. Found a kick ass 2 inch butcher block steel machine table with two drawers on the curb once and tagged it explaining that I would return later with my truck to pick it up on the way home. Well the homeowner emptied his garage full of other trash to the curb thinking I was returning with a garbage truck. When I showed up with my pickup he was still carrying stuff out. Oh Crap, helped him and his wife carry everything back to the garage promising to take everything they had the next garbage day. Good thing they were understanding folks. Still have that table.