• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Truck Shop

Hey, that's being pretty harsh on us older drivers! I'll have you know I can still back a semi-trailer fast and dead straight, after 60 years behind the wheel! - just as long as those young fools keep outta the way!!
That is probably the best idea for use of a RSH, haul the equipment and join the wrinkle ranchers
at the KOA on the weekends.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
What's wrong with that, it's breaking all the rules at once, a contractors dream. Never needs a CDL,
way less paper work and taxes, a construction site job shack with diner, 48 state legal, hire 100 year
old grandpa for driver, look at the savings.
And cold beer in the fridge 24/7.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I've no idea how much it can legally tow. I own a truck I can haul various materials with, but reason I need a truck that size is towing an equipment trailer. It costs a lot to own & gets few miles. IF I owned a motor home big enough to tow the trailer It'd make more sense to tow with it than to also own a truck.

It's more common to own a fifth wheel truck able to tow either a large camper or an equipment trailer.

"Maybe he was going to build his own campsites as he travelled"

Have you seen the ads Tom Selleck did? "Go camping" They show a family driving along a highway, pulling off into a random lakeside lot to camp. Looks cool, I expect the landowner to react very badly!

Keith Merrell

Some of the worst drivers I see out there pulling stuff are definitely penske trucks, RVs and horse trailers. The RV loophole should be closed IMO, how does the non commercial use of a vehicle make it not eligible for CDL licensing??

Truck Shop

Some of the worst drivers I see out there pulling stuff are definitely penske trucks, RVs and horse trailers. The RV loophole should be closed IMO, how does the non commercial use of a vehicle make it not eligible for CDL licensing??
Not going to argue that, but just driving a car correctly has become a challenge for most.
As far as RV Loophole--now your invading a industry {RV's} and the group of people who
buy them. RV's started out single axle gas powered with a length of 32', class A & B & C.
But nothing ever stays the same, which is normal. As smaller diesels came on the scene
in late 80's so came the 38' plus Diesel powered Rolling Sh!t House with enough power
to drag a car behind till only the bumper was left, which started the rear view camera
industry. Retires flocked to those units the bigger the better used as a status symbol. The
Federal and States were looking the other way not wanting to get involved in who had the
right to drive a 40' RV. So I believe it was left to the idea that {if they could drive a gas
powered 32' RV then why not a 42'. Plus think of all the revenue from the sale and
licensing. All of a sudden it would be seen as infringing on several classes of citizens
to require them to have an endorsement to drive their RSH, {all in the name of going to
have fun at the lake}.
The other thing--in these years it was also thought people needed to expand their horizons,
there was nothing a person couldn't DO if they put their mind to it, {and that's partly true}.
So along came the person who is also a very experienced mechanic, lawyer, contractor,
equipment operator, electrician, machinist, welder/fabricator, expert business man with
his investment firm on speed dial, Oh I almost left out the big one a top of the line Class A
Truck Driver with all endorsements and knows every DOT rule in the book with a Smart Phone
in his hand to guide him through life. And in their spare time give advise on performing small
surgeries and dental work.
Now minus only the CDL part above is anyone going to tell a society that knows all that
they can't drive a rolling sh!t house they paid too much for.
:);)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Most cash out and buy Exotic Diesel Bus Chassis RSHs, VanHool Prevo, a few others. HD diesel, allisons, air brakes. These do have GVWR Should the DOT grow a pair to enforce DOT rules.

Is bad enough the average RSH owner does not understand the electric brake system or that wheel and hub off maintenance is required. Then the makers rely on Scotchloks for wiring on them.

Truck Shop

Guys--missing the point---Youtube------Youtube and a smart phone is all that's needed to get
by in life. Don't know how to drive it-youtube, don't know how to repair it youtube. Don't know
how to operate it youtube. Whether it's bogus info or not---youtube is this generations answer.
Remember we are worrying/over thinking the issues at hand, the public could just give a crap
about what members on Heavy Equipment Forums think & 99999999.9% don't even know
HEF exists.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My 2014 backhoe won't go into first gear. Two years ago I took it to the dealer 70 miles away to remedy. $2000. into it, they announced there never was a problem. I hauled it home, the problem went away 3 weeks after I brought it home. Mid October this year, it flared up again. It seems intermittent, but now absolute.
The manual is written for a technician trained for years to repair this specific problem. I'll say .01% chance that I, a highly trained mechanic, or even God himself can figure it out with a manual or without. Can you tube tell me how?