• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As stated, much is Air Freighted and do not know it. For me in Central MO, typical is Three days, from surrounding several states Midwest Region, minimum five to eight days off the coasts. Anything special order anywhere from 15-90 days.

Tyler d4c

Amazon has built stocking warehouses all over the country for their cheap products.
I can think of 3 within a 10 mile drive of me, huge tiltups with 500,000 sf or more.
The irony is the one closest to me is near Fredrickson, port of Tacoma. It is a remote extension of the port with plenty of rail, and yet they did not build in Fredrickson proper and have no rail. It is still all truck.
I'm thrilled you see UPS and Fedex on the rails. I'm a huge fan of railroads.
I hope they can move more and more to rails rather than less.
They built a big one in pa right beside 81 at the md line finished it last summer sometime. Still had the for least signs up and not a soul around the place.

colson04

Amazon built a large facility about 35 minutes North of my place about 2018ish. Busy, busy place. 2020 came, they got so busy, they built a second facility about ½ mile North of 1st facility. By the time they got it finished, they had optimized their other facility and demand had shrank back that they've never used it. Parking lot is empty, truck gates have weeds growing up in the cracks already. Only vehicle you see in their lot is the security guard they pay to keep the homeless and riff raff away.

Tyler d4c

Amazon built a large facility about 35 minutes North of my place about 2018ish. Busy, busy place. 2020 came, they got so busy, they built a second facility about ½ mile North of 1st facility. By the time they got it finished, they had optimized their other facility and demand had shrank back that they've never used it. Parking lot is empty, truck gates have weeds growing up in the cracks already. Only vehicle you see in their lot is the security guard they pay to keep the homeless and riff raff away.
I wander if that's not what happened there too

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That is how it always seems with commercial real estate. Company builds or gets landlord to build huge palace. Plans change and it sits vacant for years. Eventually gets sold and used by somebody else not for original purpose.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
That is how it always seems with commercial real estate. Company builds or gets landlord to build huge palace. Plans change and it sits vacant for years. Eventually gets sold and used by somebody else not for original purpose.
But never put back to the valuable farmland from whence it was....

Truck Shop

While on the issue of over building-----here is a fine example of tooo muucch crraaannneee.
Lampson built it for Hitachi some 13 years ago now, hasn't moved or hoisted even a dirty
penny. Lampson got paid the millions----and Hitachi passed it on in mini's.
spring 2015 002.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
'And Speaking of Retirement Homes!!'
There is one of these Custom Built Office structures in West St Louis County, company moved into one floor for one month then balked and backed away leaving landlord holding that Terd Ticket, is Now a "Luxury Apartment Complex. Not too much as Eye Candy Living.

skyking1

Issue is--we produce more than needed-especially when it comes to grain.
What they are paving around here was prime veggies and fruit land. Truck farming so now we are back on topic.
8+Chris+Delegans%27+fruit+truck%2C+1940.jpg

crane operator

Wife is in "spring garden mode". Evidently made a home depot run for mulch and had the honda loaded down when I got back from work today. I spotted the camber as I pulled in.

There's probably 5 pickups setting at the shop. But she'll load the pilot to the gills and then complain that it smells in her vehicle.....

IMG_5600 1.JPGIMG_5601 1.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Truck farms were the ticket in MO and IL for the last century. Great Aunt and Uncle’s farm in IL was 210a. Say was as the place is now sold. City of Greenville looking to add Lake frontage at the north line and a real estate ‘Mogul’ looking to corner the low income housing market on the 110a open fields while developing that lake site.
Cousin that owned passed in her sleep a week ago, her daughters, my second cousins, sold the place in 24 hours.

Our small place along with three other properties were Spanish Land Grant section homestead, the original owners planted in our front yard. Smaller parcels are being divided out for residential “Rural Lifestyle” home sites, more like scavenger settlements.

Most of the neighbors are our age or slightly older, will undoubtedly be seeing far more of that develop in near future. Land is currently over $7500/a and still climbing. Still considering sale where realtor noted may be able to catch the wave at over a Mil for what we have. Just do not know where else would go.

Truck Shop

I remember it as {We've run aground, and are leaking some oil}
Mine was I believe a sarcastic line from SNL. But yours is not correct either.
Captain Hazelwood was a 42 year old captain with a huge drinking issue.
Two dwi's to his credit, maritime control/laws at that time didn't consider
a captains driving record like aviation does. The correct accurate version--
{Evidently were leaking some oil and going to be here a while}. followed by a hiccup.

Old Doug

I would feel different if--40% wasn't thrown away at stores. The waste and culling is
ridiculous
My Dad brought home what he didnt sell and throw it over the fence by the drive . I got to looking one day and there was all kinds of stuff growing out there. Its unreal how much food is tossed out by stores .