• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pictures from shop and field

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I was thinking more of . Any shop worth their salt should have one.

upload_2022-2-25_0-35-28.png
  • All rush jobs are wanted yesterday. With this calendar a client can order his work on the 7th and have it delivered on the 3rd.
  • Everyone wants his job done by Friday, so there are three Fridays in every week.
  • There are eight new days at the end of the month for those "promised end-of-the-month-without-fail" jobs.
  • There is no 1st of the month, so there can't be late delivery of end-of-the-month on the 1st.
  • A "Blue Monday" or Monday morning hang-over can't happen as all Mondays have been eliminated.
  • There are no bothersome non-productive Saturdays and Sundays, so there's no compensatory leave or overtime to worry about.
  • With no 15th, 30th or 31st, no "time-off" is necessary for chasing salary cheques or paying bills - in fact, there's no salary cheque either.
  • A very special day is "MIRDAY" - A special day each week for performing miracles.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I stopped answering time queries in a straight fashion years ago.

When the cow jumps over the moon comes to mind.
You can pay up to this point and have it now.
I'll help you load the pieces and change the ship too address on the parts ordered to any address you like.
You can have it now but the operator won't like having to push the machine by hand.
I can put all the parts in the dumpster and you can have your truck pick it up. You'll need to be quick though as the scrap iron guy will be here this afternoon.
I called the dealer and they promised they would have a field guy out here in two weeks to finish this up.
The service contract you signed before I started this project clearly states in extra small print that I get to pick the finish date.

You can talk to my legal advisors, Dewey, Cheatum and Howe, if you aren't satisfied with my answers.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
My answer nowadays is "in a month." If parts come in sooner we can be pleasantly surprised. I ordered a part early January that was supposedly "in stock". It showed up late this week. I think they had to make it after I ordered it.

HATCHEQUIP

upload_2022-2-21_11-34-34-jpeg.254364

Well we got this one fixed . Customer called and said another customer had recommended us and could we put a set of injectors in his mixer truck . Truck showed up with driver and owner following in pickup said truck would start missing when warmed up and when they were pulling over the mountain it started smoking bad then cleared up . Later in the day we pulled in shop and hooked up ET and ran a check . no codes active or stored , went thru the cylinder cutouts , everything checked good . let it run for awhile at different Rpms while I was watching computer had man in seat hold throttle wide open , all good had hm let off , stab throttle while I was looking at readouts all the sudden a sputter and RPMs fell off about 400 and raw fuel smoke . Let come back to idle all returned to normal , eased back to full throttle , still good , came back to idle and stabbed back to wide open and the sputter , rpms dropping and fuel smoke came back . had him hold it there while I ran a cutout check and found it was really running off 3 and 4 and the other cylinders weren't really doing much , as it was quiting time we decided we would pull valve covers the next morning and have a look . puled covers next morning and found valve adjustments a little loose some more than others and injectors about 1/3 of a round looser than what we reset them at . cranked it back up and noticed right off that it sounded better , let it warm up and started working the throttle like before , the old gal was sounding good and everything checked on the computer , pulled it outside and let it run . 30 min. later went out and stabbed it and it started stutter and smoke , checked the computer again and surenuff only the 2 center cylinder were hitting . Checked the fuel pressure and it was a little high then checked after the filter and it was low , if you eased into the throttle it would stay low but wouldn't act up but if you stabbed it the instant it went below 20 psi you got stutter and smoke . Checked filter that customer had already changed and it looked good but tried another just to be sure . same thing . Puled filter housing and went thru it and found nothing but air wouldn't flow thru it good when reassembled then pulled priming pump back off and popped check valves out of priming pump and found a piece of rubber . Changed pump and seals and gaskets and reinstalled filter base . Cranked it up and checked pressure , all good , after letting it run a few hours and checking it ever so often looks like the problem is history . Raw fuel smoke was a low fuel pressure problem .

wild0

Hello from Canada. Flywheel fell off (literally) a jaw crusher on Saturday. Suspect it walked off after being improperly fitted - pinch bolts not tight etc. Wore the bore 0.060" oversize.

Had a bit of a head scratch decided to line bore it and fit a .220 thick straight sleeve - the only shop with a lathe big enough to swing it wasn't answering the phone. Cast iron so didn't want to build up bore with weld. Worked out good. Could've made the bore a bit looser or used never sieze instead of retaining compound because it took a few hours to get it pulled all the way onto the shaft !

Got them back up and running Monday night

20220227_113855.jpg 20220227_155229.jpg 20220228_181945.jpg 20220301_000157.jpg

cw4Bray

"Free surface effect" might have played a part... once he started to lose it... A green card holding teenager with no CDL working for a local farmer may have been speeding ? It's hard to find good help these days !!! (CDL not required on farm equipment.) It was a cold day outside and he spent 45 minutes submerged in liquid fertilizer trapped under the critically compromised cab space. I thought the medical types were a bit sadistic decontaminating the patient with several "gallon jugs" of cold water while he was possibly hypothermic before transporting him. In our defense, regarding decon, we didn't know the type of dangers with the fertilizer, so we erred on the side of caution. He remained in hospital 30 days after his accident with several broken bones. I heard him bragging to the farmer's daughter about going 80 MPH on a gravel road. She was impressed with him.
The tool in the foreground "Jaws of life" is made by Hurst shifters and Holley.

Attachments

• image (6).png
    image (6).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
  • image (4).png
    image (4).png
    8.1 MB · Views: 75
  • image.png
    image.png
    8.7 MB · Views: 77
  • image (3).png
    image (3).png
    5.2 MB · Views: 71

cw4Bray

PACCAR should figure out how to install highspeed ROPS maybe using advanced steels - boron pipe on trucks.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Fuel and other Hazmat haulers here are getting desperate as to hiring drivers. Not many willing to go the extra cash and effort to gain the endorsements. I am not renewing my own as of this next renewal just keeping Class A, NO Tank or Hazmat, too old.