• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Question: Cat D6 5R Steering clutch brake in reverse.

BigAgCat

Hello,

I am new to these forums and new to using heavy equipment. I have a Cat D6 5R Ag crawler. I believe it is a 1946. So it is a 70+ year old tractor. It's got a straight blade on it and when I don't need to use it as a dozer, I can remove the blade pretty easily. The engine pretty much runs flawlessly.

I have the books for making repairs and adjustments that I have been reading up on.

The issue I am having is when I put it in reverse, the right steering clutch brake does not seem to grab when I floor the brake. Though, unless I am imagining it, it seems to have a slight grab as I go in reverse with the brake pedal to the floor. Sorta like a less worn out section of the brake brushes the drum for every rotation of the drum. The dozer turns about half a degree at a time with the brake engaged while going in reverse.

I believe I may just have to tighten the adjustment for the steering clutch brake, but what is throwing me off is that when going forward, the brake will engage strongly, as it should, and I can pretty much turn on a dime.

In spite of the brake working well going forward, I am convinced tightening the adjusting screw will fix it. (Then my problem becomes finding the right wrench...)

Does it sound like I need to tighten the adjustment and is it a common issue that can occur where the brake works better in forward than it does in reverse?