• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Question regarding Rhode Island Excavator/Backhoe license

JohnRitter

Hi all,

I am researching as to how to get my R.I. limited backhoe license — meaning I can only use the equipment while on the job/working for my employer. I’ve found the application for the state online and know that you have to be trained of sorts by someone with a license and document your experience, but what I’m curious about is if the state test is a written exam, practical exam, or both. I obtained my CDL about a year ago, just looking to add another license/cert/skill to the bag. Thank you.

JohnRitter

Can anyone recommend any study materials for the RI hoisting license exam, specifically for a tractor loading backhoe? The RI state website doesn’t provide much guidance or help. I have the DigSafe handbook, and OSHA regulations. Is there anything else people could recommend? I was thinking about taking a prep course for Massachusetts in terms of learning material specifically for the machine itself, but the laws between the states would perhaps be a little different. Does anyone know if the R.I. and MA exam material is similar in some capacity? Massachusetts seems to offer a plethora of courses and test prep items...RI is the exact opposite. There’s practically nothing.

Mother Deuce

Can anyone recommend any study materials for the RI hoisting license exam, specifically for a tractor loading backhoe? The RI state website doesn’t provide much guidance or help. I have the DigSafe handbook, and OSHA regulations. Is there anything else people could recommend? I was thinking about taking a prep course for Massachusetts in terms of learning material specifically for the machine itself, but the laws between the states would perhaps be a little different. Does anyone know if the R.I. and MA exam material is similar in some capacity? Massachusetts seems to offer a plethora of courses and test prep items...RI is the exact opposite. There’s practically nothing.
I have a Rhode Island hoisting license. They ask more then several questions probing your knowledge about soil types and how to read them. Safe shoring practices and your knowledge of when you need it. (what depth, how many ladders you need in the ditch and their spacing etc.) There were several questions regarding practical operation techniques of a backhoe among a plethora of other things. If you can find the Mass study materials get them and study them. All these tests are easy if you know the material. I scored 100 in Mass and 82 in Rhode Island. I went down there with a crew of 20 and over half failed the first time. They will retest you once with out an additional fee. Know your soils and shoring... Rhode Island is a more difficult test. They use 5 or 7 different tests according to the examiner. Good Luck! I have a friend in Mass I can hook you up with. He teaches classes for applicants to prepare them. Cool Dude and not a lot of dough.

JohnRitter

I have a Rhode Island hoisting license. They ask more then several questions probing your knowledge about soil types and how to read them. Safe shoring practices and your knowledge of when you need it. (what depth, how many ladders you need in the ditch and their spacing etc.) There were several questions regarding practical operation techniques of a backhoe among a plethora of other things. If you can find the Mass study materials get them and study them. All these tests are easy if you know the material. I scored 100 in Mass and 82 in Rhode Island. I went down there with a crew of 20 and over half failed the first time. They will retest you once with out an additional fee. Know your soils and shoring... Rhode Island is a more difficult test. They use 5 or 7 different tests according to the examiner. Good Luck! I have a friend in Mass I can hook you up with. He teaches classes for applicants to prepare them. Cool Dude and not a lot of dough.

Thank you for getting back to me

as far as MA study materials, I’ve found some online programs. One is called AtLeisureLicense...do you happen to know if that is a reputable online study guide?

Also, for what RI recommends, I have the DigSafe manual, a hand signals chart, and the following OSHA/CFR guides: 1926 Subpart P, including §1926.650, §1926.651, §1926.652, and Appendix A and B

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrie...c8e&mc=true&n=sp29.8.1926.p&r=SUBPART&ty=HTML

do you think these materials will be enough to pass the exam????

how many questions is the exam? What is the minimum passing score one needs to achieve?

thank you again

Mother Deuce

Sorry I was slacking today. When I arrived in Mass. I didn’t know what a hoisting license was, as I had been doing it for quite some without ever needing one. I was in a hurry and took a class that provided an extremely complete binder with study materials and a two day class. It was like 270 dollars the guys who put it on operated under the name Mass Hoisting If I remember correctly. When I was prepping for the RI test I used that same study guide. I reread it and went and sat for the test. 70 is the minimum passing score. Those materials are fine. Depending on your study habits. I find slogging through government regulations and sub parts difficult going. The onus of the test is on safety, best practices, and general knowledge of the job. I don’t remember the total number of questions but I glad to get to the end of it. As I said I went with 20 other operators and over half failed it the first time... studied what they were weak on and went back and passed it. I hope this helps. Know the material they reference on their list. I am not familiar with at leisure. The hand signals are definitely in the test as well as Dig Safe and OSHA. The e CFR site looks like a great source. If you have clear understanding of that material you should be pretty well prepared. At the time I took the test there were practical questions referencing machine operation but no practical exam.

Last edited: