• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

Old Doug

I really did need a 16' ceiling shop with a 14' door, 40' depth would have been nice too!!! Did not ever expect to do a monster as this at home.
I think i will be building a shop before long i think a 30x40 would be ok. I like trucks and heavy equipment but i done alot of that stuff in the past and dont think i will miss it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Seems ALWAYS Something pops up. Steering gear seep has returned, Input Upper cover to main box(Along top Edge seam), input seal as well damp and a seep where know corrosion was not good. Can get a Weller Reman(out of STL) thru KW here, estimate was around $850 exch. Knew box could be a concern and it has shown out, at least that area of Inside Frame is Clean!!!

Truck Shop

Better you find it now than later, but for the mileage that is on that truck-that's about the life expectancy
of a steering gear. Probably a TRW-TAS box with auto set poppet relief valves for steering stops, which
is a good thing, easy to install other than the weight.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
TAS65079
Already resealed, just too far gone as noted.
Seal kit was a less expensive try.
Had the box off once, only problem originally was the depth of dirt on/in the allen head bolt. That is clean now.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Stepped out after 20+ years of being screwed over by unscrupulous employers inventing new ways to edge the floor hands out of income. The 1970s/80s were some tough lean years where either had to do it all and be decent at it or starve. Between tooling money, the employers, and the desire to be/do better for myself in a fresh opportunity I moved on.

However, never really pulled up those roots.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Late start this morning as not really happy or unhappy on steer gear. Called MHC where could have it tomorrow, latest early next week dependent on in stock or close other dealer or delivery by Weller.
Have core off.
4CD7C86B-1A3D-4A7A-98DB-F5BDBE925563.jpeg
Also got trailer lines setup to my satisfaction, walk plates be here tomorrow.
374BD05B-A971-47CC-B26E-9203BC6EE0D3.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Gear arrived this morning at CoMO dealer
Sent it out with normal runs to arrive late day and I went to work on tanks.

A little more effort, considerably more sanding and they do look better.
11FE001C-6BB9-4D72-9404-091354285938.jpeg F2C192A8-B321-4308-89EA-22FBCC345E12.jpeg

Then gear arrived install a no brainer and no leaks
Then looked at invoice:confused::eek::rolleyes:
And opted to call and let them know is a little discrepancy:)
To MY favor:
BDB565D4-BDBA-4AAF-A45F-19011B113D07.jpeg

I could not do it and leave it know someone would catch sooner or later.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Ain’t gonna ask target zone!!!

Prefer to remain on Good standing with parts department, MAY eventually look at a business class size replacement for the blue beast. Median size KW crew with a nice RSH would be purty and likely size wife could also handle.