• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
New 124 in Nicholson Mfg yard. Pic sent by a friend taken yesterday. No info on s/n etc. d.d.

Attachments

• nicklson 124#1.JPG
    nicklson 124#1.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,030
Last edited:
Madill Equipment, a Nicholson Manufacturing company, announced today the completion of the first Madill 124 swing yarder to be manufactured in Canada since 2007.

Madill was founded as a blacksmith shop in Nanaimo BC in 1909 and during the 1950’s began manufacturing equipment for the forest industry. In 1955 the first spar tree yarder was invented and over the next 55 years Madill manufactured over 4,000 forestry machines including yarders, log loaders and feller bunchers, making them a world leader in purpose built forestry equipment.

During the collapse of the forestry industry in 2008, Madill went into bankruptcy and in 2011 Nicholson Manufacturing acquired the assets and IP of this leading forestry brand and began manufacturing the machines in Sidney BC, Canada. Since that time over 100 log loader and feller buncher machines have been manufactured at the Nicholson facility on Galaran Road in Sidney BC.

“Madill was best known worldwide for manufacturing yarders and there are hundreds of machines still operating today, some of them 30 and 40 years old” said Doug Jeffrey, President of Nicholson Manufacturing. “The forest industry is seeing a resurgence in new yarder demand due to the necessity to harvest second growth timber on steep slopes that were last harvested back in the 1970’s and ‘80’s” Jeffrey continued, “and we are proud to be manufacturing these machines locally, right here in BC”.

“Completing the 124 swing yarder is a significant milestone for us as a local manufacturer and employer, and also for the forest industry as a whole as focus has increased on creating safer working environments in steep slope harvesting operations” said Jeffrey.

“In addition to the 124 swing yarder, we are also underway with manufacturing our first Madill 172 tower yarder, the last one having been manufactured in 2006” Jeffrey continued.

“The 124 swing yarder is a popular machine in B.C. and New Zealand, and the 172 tower yarder is the machine of choice for the U.S. Pacific Northwest. We’ve sold the first 124 swing yarder to a New Zealand customer, and have already taken three orders on 172 tower yarders from U.S. customers with delivery beginning June 2015” Jeffrey stated.

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

TorkelH

So did the retainer and the pinion gear fall off down, crack or just taken off for replacement? I see on early 044 models it is keyed to the shaft.

90086 was delivered to Don Hull, Terrace, in july 1991 and was the 64'th of 69 075's that were built. It has the smaller 085 tracked u/c. Last 5 was delivered to WFP and Canfor Englewood (now WFP), of these the 2 for WFP had the heavy 047 U/C and the Canfor 3 had 082 RTC..

Serial numbers start at 90020 in 1978, so I don't know if that means it was built 20 075 like line loaders before that in cooperation with Northwest?

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
So did the retainer and the pinion gear fall off down, crack or just taken off for replacement? I see on early 044 models it is keyed to the shaft.

90086 was delivered to Don Hull, Terrace, in july 1991 and was the 64'th of 69 075's that were built. It has the smaller 085 tracked u/c. Last 5 was delivered to WFP and Canfor Englewood (now WFP), of these the 2 for WFP had the heavy 047 U/C and the Canfor 3 had 082 RTC..

Serial numbers start at 90020 in 1978, so I don't know if that means it was built 20 075 like line loaders before that in cooperation with Northwest?

My 075 that I run is 87 and the the one we borrowed from Englewood is 90. I wonder whats up with extra counter weight on #86 not really needed with such a short snorkel.

donkeydoc

My 075 that I run is 87 and the the one we borrowed from Englewood is 90. I wonder whats up with extra counter weight on #86 not really needed with such a short snorkel.

i believe the first 075 on rubber went to malloch and mosely. it was assembeled at the old nitnat shop site.

The WinchDoctor

The retainer plate didn't fall off. She just blew a couple teeth off the pinion. You can tell it was one of the last built, the cab foam lining is still mint condition. Its working in sayward area now.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
A mix because we sort out in the woods .We have three sorts that go on highways that go straight on the barge and saves us $9.00 a cubic meter in dryland costs

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Hello Folks: Just wondering if anyone knows what transmissions were used in the 075's runber tired carrier. Had a look at one yesterday. Looks to be some kind of automatic hooked up to the engine and another transmission (manual?) further back in the carrier. Could someone fill me in? Thanks.

Last edited:

wornout wrench

Main transmission should be an Allison CLBT-754, 5 speed and then there is a 2 speed aux box behind it, a Fuller AT-1202.
The aux trans only uses 2 speeds, low gear for when on the hills and a high range for roading the machine on the flat.
The main transmission has a retarder in it to help slow those monsters down when descending hills.