• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Schaeff Walking Excavators

laketreefarm

Occupation
Owner
Pic of a Menzi Muck 5000T2

Here's our Menzi on a boat ramp slope job.

Attachments

• Menzi 5000T2 digging on a slope (324 x 243)ss.jpg
    Menzi 5000T2 digging on a slope (324 x 243)ss.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 3,710

Dr. Ernie

I was wondering where the machine from Dertoit went, It is good to see it went to a good home. I Knew about the machine, but could not find it, I found it at the same time it sold when the new mayior of detroit needed to find some $$$
a point of interest, a buddy of mine helped to prep the machine for delivery and delivered it.

You are correct about the learning curve and I do belive that most operators do not or can not truly operate one.

I am currently using/ running a Scheaff HS41 MM

Things may change in a few more days and it may be for sale

Last edited:

ben1

how do the controls work on thes walking excavators and how do you move the legs?

laketreefarm

Occupation
Owner
My first try at operating a walker was in a Schaeff 41 in Danville KY in 2004. I was clueless and the salesman was equally lost we could barely get it to move. They wanted $150K for it which was more than I wanted to risk on a machine I did't get. It wetted my interest and when the Detroit 5000T2 I got now came up at a bargain price I drove to Michigan cash in hand. Still didn't know how to move it. When the lowboy delivered it the next morning in Frankfort KY his trailer was so low we were afraid to hang it up on my country road so we pulled into a BP station at 6:00AM to unload. I drove it for the first time by walking it from the back of the lowboy onto my lowboy without touching the ground. Took me an hour to do it very carefully while a crowd of farmers watched betting that I'd fall off the lowboys or turn it over. I pulled out of the parking lot with the legs extended as the bypass valve that moved the legs in or out got stuck and I couldn't move the legs in. I drove 3 miles with legs out 12 ft. Peeled one guardrail as I made a turn and made it to my farm in a sweat. Rebuilt the stuck valve and spent hours figuring out the moves for the machine to work. Got 300 plus hours in operations now and the only job I'd hesitate to do would be a deep mud job as I don't have the mud floats for my legs.

Dr. Ernie

how do the controls work on thes walking excavators and how do you move the legs?
on the Schaeff that I run,(notice I did not say operate, as I need another 200 hrs to be a operator, I have around 200 hrs on it so far) It has 4 thunb swiches on top of each joystick and a change over buttons on the left one for the fingers to operate, this give you a total of 8 functions you control with each joystick, this controls the legg movements. It can be interesting when the change over valve takes a moment longer to switch. On the newer a series Menzi Mucks and the newer Kiasers they use a mini joystick on each joystick their is a total of 2 to 3 of these little joysticks these you operate with your thumbs, their is also a serries of buttons to control other functions both on top and the bottom of the joysticks, their is alot of buttons to deal with but it is fairly simple to get use to. On the Menzi Mucks you can easly add 3 axualary lines to the machine, along with a dedicated pump circit as, with this one you could end up with 4 lines to the working end of the machine.

The new Menzi's are absoultly a kick azz machine and are impresive to say the least in the hands of a true operator. The Kaisers are prety good as well.....

Dr. Ernie

Here is a few pictures of a job I did earlier It was in the middel of a subdivision, I was able to do everything in the creek and only needed to trim a handfull of branches to do the work, it was kinda interesting as I also needed to be mindfull of sprinklers as well. I actualy had to bring dirt INTO the creek toget the banks shaped correctly. It was interesting as the clay that was brought to me was so dry that the moment it saw water it turned into gravy not fun to work with....

Attachments

• june-july10 052rs.jpg
    june-july10 052rs.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 4,855
  • june-july10 056rs.jpg
    june-july10 056rs.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 4,911
  • june-july10 063rs.jpg
    june-july10 063rs.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 4,431

laketreefarm

Occupation
Owner
Schaeff spyder excavator

Dr. Earnie I tried to find a Schaeff and except for the one I could not afford haven't seen any for sale. I have two Schaeff SCL 515 wheel loaders which I like a lot except when it comes time to get parts or service and Terex dealers have ruined Schaeff on that score.

SteepTek

Used Walking Excavator

we have a used walking excavator Kaiser x4 for sale. It has a new engine and new swing gear/bearing plus we replaced a ton of hoses. Also has a tilt att on the end of the boom for the bucket

Still have all the replaced hoses and also a second nearly complete parts machine.

Email for pictures

[email protected]

mxridernrth

I own a Kaiser X4 Turbostar. Got it in January of this year. It's a 93 machine that I bought with only 840 hours on it. Essentially new. Now I'm up to a whopping 1092 hours!!

There's certainly a learning curve and there are times when a tracked machine would be easier (like moving around on soft flat ground), but all-in-all it's a pretty cool machine. I've tackled some really steep stuff already but confess to having relied on the winch. Though the really steep one was at night getting myself out of a stream gully that was about 50' up a slimy clay bank in the rain.

Here's a few pics back when I was even more green than now.
P1000399.JPG
P1000689.JPG
P1000921.JPG
IMG_0503.jpg

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
i can't get over that first pic of the machine on that slope....did he ever get back up the hill on his own i wonder? i can see you may need some extra eyes and such to be very proficient with this.

laketreefarm

Occupation
Owner
Spider notes

The real issue on steep slope work with a walking excavator is center of gravity.
That's why you see most of these operators digging uphill as with the boom downhill you use the boom to push your machine farther up hill and your counterweight is always uphill. The stabilizer legs have a spread of 17 ft. so it's pretty hard to turn one over. In soft dirt or slate rock slopes you often slide a few feet til your feet dig in good. A winch is rarely needed except on extreme 12 to 1 slopes or wet slopes.
Now is a good time to buy a walker/spider as with the economy slow a lot of equipment is getting sold cheap. A 1994 6000T series Menzi Muck with wrist sold in auction for $8000 in Houston Tx. last week. Had a failing pump but only 3200 hours.
Menzi-USA 863-603-7979 (Paul)
Cisilsai Equipment 727-639-3927 (Stan)
http://en.bau-portal.com/gebraucht/_166.php

All are good sources of equipment. Kaiser, Menzi Muck and Terex/Schaeff are the only three with parts dealers in the US. Given Terex's problems with buying too many companies too fast, so their dealer network is shaky, I'd stick with Kaiser or Menzi Muck. Both make superb machines. Most machines built prior to 2001 are not electronic which may limit some operational abilities but make them much simpler/cheaper to owner service. I'm impressed with the agility of the new machines but the over $200K price tags and the potential repair cost of on-board computer and sensors galore makes me wonder how long the electronics will last and what the future repair bills will be to replace all the gizmo's electronics that will prevent the owner from easily repairing them. I've got a 2002 Terex SCL 515 wheel loader that runs,turns, loader lifts but will not move one inch because the computer that controls the sensors is down and a new one is $5000 which is nut's for a pc that has less computing power than a cellphone. A Terex ripoff. So the machine sits till I can figure a way to bypass the wiring harness that goes into the computer. Any one out there that knows how to hotwire a Schaeff 515 speak up! Ren :beatsme

laketreefarm

Occupation
Owner
HS 41 Shaeff

I am currently using/ running a Scheaff HS41 MM

Things may change in a few more days and it may be for sale[/QUOTE]

Hey Dr. Earnie tell me about your HS 41 MM? Specs? Type of machine? Does it have electronics in control systems? How is it equipped? Still looking to sell it? Ren

BrianHay

Hey mxrider how's things going with the new machine? I have had a few projects come and go for your machine here in Nanaimo but couldn't catch a hold of you. I lost your number, tried sending a message through facebook before I left for Alberta but no reply. Hope all is well.