• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

keito

Trailer Question

Thanks for the reply. I have found a pretty good buy on a metal one and really never thought about one before. Maybe I can add the wood. Thanks
Either one will work - I like the wood since it does have more traction for loading and the machine slides around less.

IdleUp

The metal will be fine - if you get a deal on it gohead and pop it. More important than the floor is the ramps- I ended up raising my hitch and removing my ramps - i just use a few woood blocks to run up on and once the track gets on the rear of the bed, she squats down and i drive right on.

Make sure when you load the machine -someone is holding the foot brakes because the rear wheels can and will lift off the ground and the truck trailer and dozer will start rolling if there's any grade. I've seen unbelievable accidents from this!

keito

trailer Question

Thanks for the great information. I would hate for my wife to be sitting in the truck if that happened. I am going to look at the trailer. Thanks again
The metal will be fine - if you get a deal on it gohead and pop it. More important than the floor is the ramps- I ended up raising my hitch and removing my ramps - i just use a few woood blocks to run up on and once the track gets on the rear of the bed, she squats down and i drive right on.

Make sure when you load the machine -someone is holding the foot brakes because the rear wheels can and will lift off the ground and the truck trailer and dozer will start rolling if there's any grade. I've seen unbelievable accidents from this!

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Don't put a steel tracked machine on a steel deck trailer. One day you'll be a little off level or it'll be a little wet and you'll slide off as you load or unload. (Don't ask me how I know) If you have to do it put down some conveyor belting or similar for traction. Ramp with legs on them or even jack stands under the trailer lip will help keep the trucks butt on the ground. We all do use wheel chocks on the trailer when loading/unloading right?

keito

Tracking right

Can anyone give me an idea of what's happening when I am just going in reverse and it wants to stat pulling to the right without any pulling on the sticks? Help!!!
Thanks for the upgrade.
If anyone needs any book info on the D21, I got the books.
Pete

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
From what you are saying I would guess that your right brake is dragging OR your left clutches are slipping. Push down on the brake pedel when traveling and bog the motor down a bit. If your clutches are slipping it will show which one by doing this. Keep us posted.

Darin

keito

Tracks Dragging

Thanks for the information. I will do some testing in the next day or two. I have a D21a with a three speed transmission. Kinda think it is an unusal machine according to the dealer any way thanks for the info.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Yeah I have only had 2 of those 3 speeds out of 100 D21A's that I've had and sold. All my Mitsubishi poweshift have the 3 speeds but normally D21's are 2. Let us know how you make out.

darin

keito

Tracks Dragging

well I got on my little dozer this evening and did as you said. I started backing up and pushed on the brake and the machine just stalled out. I then tried again backing up and it appears that the machine is pulling to my left. It doesn't do it every time and it seems when it does it might have a loud pitch squeaking noise. it also seems as if it only starts doing it once i warms up. What do you think. Thanks
Yeah I have only had 2 of those 3 speeds out of 100 D21A's that I've had and sold. All my Mitsubishi poweshift have the 3 speeds but normally D21's are 2. Let us know how you make out.

darin

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
How far back can you pull the steer levers? It almost sounds like you have the brake adjustment to tight and it's dragging. ?? Do both steering levers pull back the same?

Darin

keito

tracks Dragging

How far back can you pull the steer levers? It almost sounds like you have the brake adjustment to tight and it's dragging. ?? Do both steering levers pull back the same?

Darin

It seems as though the right lever doesn't operate as good as the left. I have to really pull on the right one to get the machine to move in that direction. But sometimes when I am going in reverse with no movement of any lever the right track just stops moving and then it starts turning. Also I washed off the tracks so I could look to see if anything is obvious and it appears that my right tracks are quite a bit tighter than my left ones.

Last edited:

keito

tracks Dragging

It seems as though the right lever doesn't operate as good as the left. I have to really pull on the right one to get the machine to move in that direction. But sometimes when I am going in reverse with no movement of any lever the right track just stops moving and then it starts turning. Also I washed off the tracks so I could look to see if anything is obvious and it appears that my right tracks are quite a bit tighter than my left ones.

I can pull both levers way back,

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
your right track just stops moving then your clutches are slipping. did you check to see that you have NO oil in the steering clutch case by taking the drain plug out of the bottom of the right side and or left side clutch case?

keito

tracks Dragging

your right track just stops moving then your clutches are slipping. did you check to see that you have NO oil in the steering clutch case by taking the drain plug out of the bottom of the right side and or left side clutch case?
No I didn't check the oil. Never did that before still just learning about this dozer. but thanks so much for the heads up. I bought all the filters and such to replace. I haven't got around to all that yet. Checked most of the fluids. But not those. Thanks

Danny B

Someone, maybe darin, provided year on a dozer for someone. I would like the same info on mine. The plate on the side of the machine shows "D21A-6" with SN "63638". The plate on the blade looks like it says "DDK020-1A" with same SN. Under the side door, the decal says "D21A-P". Hour meter shows "4204-3". I know I need to go thru all the usual mantainance, and will need to at least do some adjustments. Like most of the comments, mine turns one way better than the other and I have to pull the levers way back to make a turn. Thanks a bunch to all the folks that have provided so much info to a first time dozer nut.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Sure things Danny. It's a 1988 according to my Japanese construction equipment guide book. Sounds like you need to tighten your brake bands with the large nut on the back of the machine on both the right and left side steering clutch housing. Hope this helps

Darin

mrjeep94

Just bought a D21A-8 with ROPS. Only 242 hours on it. I think i got a good deal on it ($20,000), what do you think? Supposed to be delivered this weekend. CANT WAIT!!!

trobinson008

I have a D20p-6 with a leaking main lift hydraulic leak. I am having problem getting the lower pin out , may have to heat it up to get it out. Any ideas of how to pull? Also does anybody have the number for the seal kit and a place to get it. I think the cap just screws off it has four indents. Its the cylinder on the side that extends to near the cab on the side. Thanks

HDPSCORP

Thanks for the great information. I would hate for my wife to be sitting in the truck if that happened. I am going to look at the trailer. Thanks again

I had this problem before loading Bobcat on my trailer, I just use two adjustable metal stands under the trailer in the rear so it will not lift my Pick up...it's not only dangerous but bad for the hitch and your pick up frame, I disconnected my 4X4 link one time when my old GMC had her rear up in the air.....