• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Self Loading Logging Truck Photos

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
More pics of 1964 HDX selfloader - now retired truck

Attachments

• IMG_2380s.jpg
    IMG_2380s.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,916
  • IMG_2381s.jpg
    IMG_2381s.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 2,884
  • IMG_2379s.jpg
    IMG_2379s.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 3,019
  • IMG_2377s.jpg
    IMG_2377s.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 3,283
  • IMG_2378s.jpg
    IMG_2378s.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 3,168

Jdigger4130

Hayesno!, thanks for ALL the info and pics on the BC/Canadian iron!!!! I love the mothballed trucks! Its amazing to me that the equipment can literally outlast the job!!! The fat truck have to be one of the few machines or tools A logging company stuggle to kill!

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
More pics of 1964 HDX selfloader - now retired truck

I have a better question: Where'd the rearends go and who put the little ones under it?? You dont spend this kind of coin on a truck only to put 46,000 lb rears under it, thats for sure. Somebody must have needed the planetaries and then just thrown these cheap light rears under her. Hard to believe....must be a story there?

KW850&T800H

COPPA
I have a better question: Where'd the rearends go and who put the little ones under it?? You dont spend this kind of coin on a truck only to put 46,000 lb rears under it, thats for sure. Somebody must have needed the planetaries and then just thrown these cheap light rears under her. Hard to believe....must be a story there?

Good point, I can't really see them though. Just a post of cheap highway axles then. Now that's underkill.

trakloader

Hayesno!, thanks for ALL the info and pics on the BC/Canadian iron!!!! I love the mothballed trucks! Its amazing to me that the equipment can literally outlast the job!!! The fat truck have to be one of the few machines or tools A logging company stuggle to kill!

Many of us despise that term, "fat truck". These trucks built BC, and deserve more respect.

Ryan Rønning

Occupation
Army Diesel Tech and field maintenace teck
Were the out riggers on that Hayes not Hydraulic or are the rams just removed. Does not seem like they would do a very good job of stabilizing without the downward force from the rams.

Born2clearcut

The first 2 pictures should of went with post #35 but i just found them yesterday The 3rd pic is a chunk truck. Not sure how the chunk truck loaded it self, i don't see any kind of boom for loading with . I see a drum and fairlead up top . Maybe they just dragged the logs up on back of the load . Anyone knows how this really worked love to hear it .

Attachments

• chunktruck selfloadersm.jpg
    chunktruck selfloadersm.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 3,662
  • KW selfloadersm.jpg
    KW selfloadersm.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 3,107
  • KW selfloader2sm.jpg
    KW selfloader2sm.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 2,936

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Born2Clearcut; Super pictures - thanks for sharing them. Hopefully someone can add further information/history.

Truckmodeler

Jim Falconer has a good shot of another hayrack chunk truck on his page (Section 1, page 4) at Hanks Truck pictures. Looks like they pulled the logs up onto the truck with the overhead gantry and cable. Doesn't seem like a very versatile rig since it appears you need to line up the truck for your direction of pull.

gologit

Occupation
Logger
You can also use a snatch block for an angled pull. When I was a kid my grandfather had a rig like that old KW 10 wheeler in the second picture. One guy on top to run the controls, one guy on the ground to run the rigging. The drum ran on a single rail and had dead-heads on the outside stringers. Us kids hated that thing. If you were on the ground you got to be a human haul-back, rigging slinger, setter, hooker, and, with two sets of rigging, you never stopped moving. It was the first job I ever had in the woods.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
If I remember right that bar acoss the top of the hayrack was powered to the back and the log hoisted up over the back then the bar was run to the front and the log (chunk) was pulled to front of the truck .Was fun to watch load ,the one they had in Zeballos(contractor) used to come onto your landing after work and load out your chunks, Or your bunk logs depending on who was watching

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
If I remember right that bar acoss the top of the hayrack was powered to the back and the log hoisted up over the back then the bar was run to the front and the log (chunk) was pulled to front of the truck .Was fun to watch load ,the one they had in Zeballos(contractor) used to come onto your landing after work and load out your chunks, Or your bunk logs depending on who was watching

I would agree, around here they have a couple of septic tank delivery trucks with a similar set up, pick a load, trolley either front or back depending whether you want to load or unload. I have borrowed one to grab some firewood on occasion, and it worked well.

skadill

Top silver KW -Cloudburst Transport, Blue KW taken this winter

Attachments

• DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 3,786
  • DSCN0272.jpg
    DSCN0272.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 3,888
  • DSCN0275.jpg
    DSCN0275.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 3,585

HDX

Sorry CL but that truck left the factory with 46-40 rear ends. 1964 HDX 32-80 Was not all that common but a fair number of HDXs came from the factory with 46-40s and 4700 rear ends. This truck was a logging truck most of its life and when Pete Giles from Messachie Lake had to switch over to highway truck she was sold to Van West Poles up here in Alberni and that is when the loader was installed for hauling cedar poles and sometimes they would haul salvage logs (Chunk Truck) It does make them look funny however they served their owners well Look at the Hayes Trucks thread and you will see the first HDXs were equipped with 4600 rears and upgraded later in the 50s when the 46-40 came out. By upgraded that meant that the housing was machined out to take the bigger bull gear that the 46-40 had The Hayes was a custom built truck so you could order anything you wanted Sometimes it would drive the engineers crazy but they would do it As a matter of fact I have a blueprint of a single axle HDX a customer was going to order now that looked strange