• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"Shrinking" Mini Excavator - too wide for boat

Tugger2

Given the costs of hacking the machine up and then restoring it back to working condition when it arrives ,id probably have it flown in . Its expensive ,but quick if you prep it right and its ready to use when you get there.
The little landing craft may pack 8000 lbs ,the centre of gravity on a load like that might be haywire in river conditions like that . Ive spent a big chunk of my life moving heavy things on barges,things you never think of go wrong quick.
Equate the cost of the machine,the barge and maybe an oil spill in the river to a helicopter bill and id bet the chopper is not unreasonable.

skyking1

^ he knows about the floating of things, this is for sure.^
I only had a couple of seasons of it.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I don't know anything about floating things on barges, but I know a little about boats on rivers, and I have a pretty good knack for spotting a bad idea . . .

Anyway, I would get to looking for a set of old tracks to cut up enough to get onto the boat. Go to a rental yard or a Cat house and ask for a set of junk tracks. Cutting them down will be a miserable, fiery and smoke filled endeavor, but I guess with a demo saw and metal blade it could be done

thesanchez

I'd still change to a 30 after reading all you said. it will travel easier, and they do the same kinds of things. There is no magic that happens from 30 to 35 or 40.
I have operated from this:
PXL-20210414-170648459.jpg

to this:

15346.jpg

And all sorts of sizes and types in between. I am not trying to blow smoke up your jimmies.
That JD 17 I rented was real. I can only assume the JD30 is as real or better.

The little Cat 009 in the top picture was not real. It was one function at a time only, please.
When you say 30, do you mean a 30HP machine?

I could sell my 304 I'm sure and get a 303:

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Not sure where you get the overloaded boat idea? Boat is rated to carry 8k. Machine will be reduced to at the very most 8k.

Well, I don't know, but watching the video you provided I can't see a boat that can carry a mini navigating that while staying upright . . .

skyking1

The video exaggerates it because of time of year.
the river has wildy oscillating flows, no dams anywhere so the water really goes up and down with weather. When we floated it, it was pretty low and slow but we had a great time. Just my wife and I and a guide who cooked wonderful meals for us. You can see pictures of the river at the same spot and not believe it is the same river!
Of course that's not for you @thesanchez :)

Truck Shop

The Salmon River is and can be as unpredictable as Hells Canyon on the Snake River.
I know someone who is a guide and worked both rivers, almost 30 years experience.
Could be done I suppose, but to each his own.

MG84

When you say 30, do you mean a 30HP machine?

I could sell my 304 I'm sure and get a 303:
Excavators are measured in metric tons, hp has little to do with the model number, and is just a coincidence if it is the same. 30 = 3.0 metric tons, 35 = 3.5 metric tons, and so forth. Lately manufacturers have 'fudged' the sizing a little and most are a good bit heavier that the model number suggests. With that being said, there are several '35' sized mini excavators that weigh right at, or under, 8000lbs and are less than 72" wide. There are machines in the 35 size class that equal or out spec the Cat 304e2, aside from reach and lifting capacity.

That said, I think the whole idea of taking an 8000lb mini ex, in that boat, up that river, is almost sure to end in disaster. Please be sure to video the whole endeavor....

skyking1

Excavators are measured in metric tons, hp has little to do with the model number, and is just a coincidence if it is the same. 30 = 3.0 metric tons, 35 = 3.5 metric tons, and so forth. Lately manufacturers have 'fudged' the sizing a little and most are a good bit heavier that the model number suggests. With that being said, there are several '35' sized mini excavators that weigh right at, or under, 8000lbs and are less than 72" wide. There are machines in the 35 size class that equal or out spec the Cat 304e2, aside from reach and lifting capacity.

That said, I think the whole idea of taking an 8000lb mini ex, in that boat, up that river, is almost sure to end in disaster. Please be sure to video the whole endeavor....
yes, our 35G measures 67" and would walk right on. It is over 9K with the cab and swing blade though.

crane operator

Salmon River Helicopters has a UH-60 which is rated at 8,000lbs. I'm sure it makes a big difference what they have on for fuel load, on how far they can take 8,000. Maybe strip some of it down, and bring the rest by boat?

Your boat may be rated for 8,000, but that's probably a equally distributed load with a lower center of gravity than what the mini is going to have?

It costs nothing to call and ask.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Would it track on boards with the tracks removed?
I was wondering that too. Maybe lay down some wooden planks to give something for the drive sprockets to bite into? No idea if the drive sprockets stick down enough to move machine on planks, just an idea.