• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sizing pull type equipment to crawler vs wheeled tractors

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Talked to the guy today and it is a ground driven elevating scraper. He thought "Johnson" was the brand but couldn't remember for sure. Also thinks it's about 8 yards but could be 10. I have no experience myself but it was cable operated and pulled with a D7, or D8 dozer working the local area in the many small coal mines of the day. No PTO input from a pulling unit at all; all ground driven.

I'm told it was pulled from mine to mine by a truck on the roadways and easy to attach to anything with a drawbar to make it work. I asked about the hydraulic cylinders and they've never been used. It was being worked with when the last area privately owned mine announced closure in 1976 and nothing further was done. It has been setting since. I didn't realize it but the D8 pulling unit is on the other side of the tree line and has been sitting many years also.

MG84

Thought I'd update this thread. I pickup up a nice little 4' wide sheepsfoot roller today. Got a building pad and a road project soon that this will work good for. Just pulled it around a little empty, I'm thinking full of water it's going to be a full pull for the old IH:

IMG_1012sm.jpg
IMG_1010sm.jpg

I need to make a hammerstrap to bolt on my drawbar and grease it, but otherwise it should be ready to go. By my measurement it will hold 175gal when 3/4 full, so if I use water that's another 1400lbs or 1250lbs if I use oil. For the time being I'm just going to fill it with water when I'm using it and then drain it when finished to keep it from freezing/rusting. I might eventually fill it with used oil, but I need to accumulate some more. I hope the 656 will pull it, it turns really sharp for a tractor that size and would be pretty handy. If not the dozer should have no problem with it.

Welder Dave

Don't fill it with water. Use windshield washer fluid or something that won't freeze. In the past a lot of them were filled with diesel. I've seen one that was badly damaged by water freezing in it.

MG84

I approve of the tractor and the roller.
Thanks, thats my ‘big’ tractor on the farm, pulls the haybine, round baler, bush hog etc. It also has an IH 2250 quick attach loader. I’ve always like the 656/666/686 IH tractors. Those and the 3020 JD were the best 65-70 hp row crop tractors of their day IMO.

MG84

Don't fill it with water. Use windshield washer fluid or something that won't freeze. In the past a lot of them were filled with diesel. I've seen one that was badly damaged by water freezing in it.
I’m well aware, this will be used only during the warm weather months and drained at the end of each job.