• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

slow work times still holding on

LogDog

hello
I am up here in the great state of Wash. we do alot of forrest road work. now I know the logging industry is slow due to no market for logs.
but have been off since near thanksgiving. is this not that uncommon today in other areas and fields to:beatsme
thanks Roger

Case 580e

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Your lucky here in Nj its dead my dumptruck hasnt moved since January. But up in the sand pit were getting some trucks to load. But were still waiting for the big jobs.

swampdog

It seems that the forest industry remains slow across most of North America. A pulp and paper mill closed here a few years ago. By now, many of the people who worked there or in the forest have found work in the mining or oil industries. Suppliers that relied on the mill are also hurting. If and when they reopen the mill, they will have a hard time finding anyone who knows how to operate the equipment.

On the bright side, a nearby plywood mill and a sawmill that shut down a few years ago are set to reopen soon. Maybe that's a sign of a turnaround in the forest sector??

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
This is, it would appear to be a worldwide go slow over here looks like we stopped the go slow ,now we have shifted into reverse.Stories of plant been repoe'd are rife and in my travels there is a lot of equipment idle.

Stock

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Things are bad and not much moving in the sales of equipment in NY/ LI.

Few jobs come out to bid like schools and many say their is plenty of work.:confused: Same people tell me in a few weeks their is work to bid.:confused: Then they get lowballed and their is nothing to bid:eek:now.

People here are beleiving thier own press:pointhead Could be worse but it is not good. Good time to buy stuff if you have money everything is at fire sale prices. I'll be buying 500-600 scaffold plank soon as wood is cheap and transportation is cheap also.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I think WA state has things a little better than other areas across the country, but it's no good here. I honestly feel for the guys in the midwest and other areas who had an awful season all of last year as well, WA didn't really get slammed until the end of last season the way I see things. I've been on the out of work list for 8 months, been in single digits on the list for the last 5 weeks, still no call. The stimulus money is starting to hit the ground here in WA, that's encouraging, but it's incredibly slow. Out of the first 10 stimulus funded projects that have been awarded only 3 have been fired up thus far and there's a fair amount to come. I'll go to work soon, however I was planning on having been out to work about 2-3 weeks ago, though.

Last edited:

440chevy

We have a lot of work, we're already booked solid into the fall. Only thing that has trailed off for us is new house excavation. We only have 2 houses going up so far, but one is going to involve the work of at least 3 normal houses. Other then that we do sewers, septics, landscaping, and basement repair and we have plenty of them to make sure I never get to go fishing. Could be a lot worse though so what can you do.

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
work is slow here to but is picking up as more and more of the company stedys return to work. an new subdivision is startign claose by, figners crossed no one screws it up there will be basments to be dug through the winter!!

Dualie

I have signed contracts for more work than i have had in several years (including the boom years) But NOT one of them is ready to go. NOT ONE. I have been doing random clean ups for the last week and a half.

and it looks like i got another week of it on the horizon.

I need to get some billable work out the door pretty soon.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
We have been steady, dump trucks doing good, redi-mix across the company is a bit slow but everyone is at least getting their 40 and then some. Our quarry crews are getting around 50 and I'm in there as well usually each week, give or take. Have all summer planned so far as far as work around at the quarries and plants to do so should be busy. Just not planning on making any record pay checks this year but right now I'll take what I can.

Trbo

special tool

Worked all winter and just today looked at a big residential job with my favorite GC.
Up to 6 days a week now.

I believe it is turning around more quickly than anticipated.

atgreene

I'm a small operation and have plenty of work. Not as much as in past years, but nowhere near as slow as last Nov. Things do seem to be breaking open around here and several people are talking of building due to low interest rates.

Not out of the woods yet, but it is looking better than it did.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
I work in the NJ trash bussiness so work is never going to slow down!

case 580e, where abouts you from in NJ?

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
been off since oct 29.
now number 140 on the list.
real glad i don't have kids to feed.

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
are you able to go non-union in the mean time? i went to the local here, 187 out of work.

tmh774

Occupation
Lowboy driver
I was off from november 11 till april 6. We had a job hauling precast wall panels to Olathe, KS from Aurora,IL. Thats what got me back to work but that finished up on 5/21 and they laid five guys right away. Not sure what is going to happen. Not to much lowboy work around Chicago!

komatpillar

I think crisis is felt all over the world.. not only in the construction industry, but almost the rest. Before, projects make a millions of money. Nowadays, its scarce.

Dualie

still got a **** load of signed contracts and nothing to start on. maybe by next friday