• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

slow work times still holding on

old skool iron

Occupation
:·)»
the tandem work here in colo has nearly died off .i'am sure thankfull for all the horse owners .with my skid and frightliner l,ve been doing all right. pluss l,ve gone into the top soil biss.thats no xxxx. ha ha.

Last edited by a moderator:

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Up to 10,000 jobs could go in Irish civils sector, CECA claims
15 June, 2009 | By Rhiannon Hoyle

As many as 10,000 jobs are at risk of being lost in Ireland’s construction sector in the coming year as the slowdown hits road building, the Civil Engineering Contractors Association has warned.

The group has accused the government of winding down its programme for new roads infrastructure and said that most projects currently underway would be complete by 2010, with no future schemes for workers to move on to.

CECA president Pat McCarthy told the Press Association that highly qualified and experienced workers were already being laid off at an alarming rate.

“At present up to 10,000 construction workers including machine drivers, pavers, pipe layers, engineers and other construction professionals are engaged in road building,” he said.

“All of these projects will be complete by the middle of 2010.

“Following this the workers will be unemployed and the plant and machinery will be moved to Eastern Europe.”

He said a number of promised new national roads had been shelved, including the “Atlantic Corridor” from Sligo to Waterford and the completion of the N11 from Dublin to Wexford.

Mr McCarthy claimed other smaller upgrade projects – like the N60 Castlebar to Athlone, the N80 Enniscorthy to Portlaoise as well as peninsular routes in Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Donegal – had also been postponed.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I went back to work a couple weeks ago with a great outfit doing heavy highway work. Couldn't be happier with the company, my boss, the crew, and scope of work I'm doing. Good things come to those who wait but I was getting anxious in all honesty.