• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some work pictures

curb guy

Nice work! I like the way you put 'little' squares on the sides and bottom, never thought of doing it that way. I wish my hardface beads looked like that! What kind of rod do you use?

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Thanks curb guy, the hardface I use is STOODY 101HC 1/16" WIRE. That is the best hardface I have used.

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
First off, great work and nice truck and tools. Question, why the bars on the bucket bottom, and the squares on the sides? My fabbing/mechanic budy and I are speculating on weather its for rock wear or ???
please enlighten, thanks.
Russ and Dan

TOM V

Occupation
Thanks Russ, the bars on the bucket floor are wear bars, I always put them across the bucket so there are no paths for wear and it also stiffens up the floor. The squares on the side are the left over from the 8' bars and I made a pattern to trap earth,so it is earth to earth wear not earth to steel wear, just as you would have a hardface pattern on a bucket lip. It is also good in rock.
TOM V

typ4

Occupation
Thanks for the answer, Dan knew about the sides and mentioned earth to earth wear, I think he was holding out on me,LOL. We are doing some demolition and it is very hard on equipment, they broke 2 shear jaws already. same exact place on the part, the new jaw came with some big design changes in that area but they wouldnt admit any problems, funny huh?

We have 3 buckets to rebuild and the bottom bars look awesome to improve strength.

mitch504

Hey Tom, nice work as usual, what's the backside of that hitchplate like? Do you have gussets and braces to the receiver? How about once you install it?

nedly05

That bucket shouldnt wear out any time soon! The hitch plate looks great, will you strip it all down before you weld it on? What wire will you use to install it?

dirty4fun

You sure do some very good looking work. How thick is the new hitch plate? Sure looks great.

TOM V

Occupation
Hey Tom, nice work as usual, what's the backside of that hitchplate like? Do you have gussets and braces to the receiver? How about once you install it?

Thanks mitch, the receiver tube has gussets from the upper corners of the tube out 3/4" from the edge and the angled pieces cut out of the plate are the gussets to the bottom of the frame rails.

TOM V

Occupation
That bucket shouldnt wear out any time soon! The hitch plate looks great, will you strip it all down before you weld it on? What wire will you use to install it?

Hey nedly, those buckets I do will go about 5 to 7 years before we replace the wear bars, re-hard face the lip, and relace the first 3 squares on each side. I will use lincoln ultracore .045 wire to install it.

typ4

Occupation
Do you preheat the hardox to weld?

TOM V

Occupation
Do you preheat the hardox to weld?

It all depends, always on the cutting edge whether it is Hardox hituf or 400. When Hardox 400 and 450 is used in combined plate thickness of 1 1/2" and up you would preheat starting at 180 degrees to 350 degrees at 5". Hardox 500 I always preheat from 3/4" at 200 degrees to 5" at 370 degrees. I always preheat any weldment some just to help reduce any moisture resulting in hydrogen cracking.

typ4

Occupation
Sounds perfect, Now to ask another question, we are going to build a new jaw for the shear and genesis says to use weldox 130, where do I look for a 6 inch thick plate?

TOM V

Occupation
typ4, my supplier does not have 6" 130, I will pm you a phone number for some one to help you.
Good luck, TOM V

TOM V

Occupation
My job for today, EC150 hydraulic pump drive coupling.
pump 001.jpgpump 003.jpg