• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Somebody has to do it, and nobody else volunteers: the fixing saga

skyking1

I have no shop to put the truck in. I can get it on pavement and build a tarp roof over it, but the West side in January through March, that pavement is going to be a stream bed.
The first time I experienced it was 43 years ago. My 66 mustang clutch gave up on the wrong side of the Kirkland-Redmond hill and she was all done, parked at Safeway.
I did not realize I was in a valley channel when I took it apart, and when I was humping that transmission up off my chest, a river ran through it.
I have no desire to tear that engine apart under a tarp in February.

skyking1

I got the other side of my carport mucked out, and backed the 1 ton truck in there. It got me thinking, I have 9' to the entry beam.
I could pull the hood and nose it in under there till the windshield about touched. That would get the whole engine over the concrete or close to it. One sheet of plywood butted up to the concrete fixes that. I could tarp over the rest to keep the rain and runoff away.
I will see what the boss says about the 6K estimate, and then explore the possibility of taking on everything but the rear main seal.
In for a penny.........

skyking1

I got some brake clean and started investigating.
I think the truck shop was letting perfect be the enemy of good. There is one major new leak and they never pinpointed it.
They never cleaned anything, they just looked and basically said it needed all the inframe gaskets.
I think I have it cornered now, another few cans of brake clean and then a test run will show it.
The rear main leak is easily diapered by some wire and an absorbent mat. I'll set that up before the run to see how much accumulates.
When i get that test run I will take some pictures.

Truck Shop

I also hear that the engine is about due for main bearings at 250~300K.
Yeah the B models come in around 300 for main and rod bearings. When synthetics came on the
market the bearing life extended to 400 plus.

skyking1

With the current usage, it will only take another 17 years to get to 300,000.
The clutch is good, if I patch up these leaks OK it will stay together. ( knocks on the side table).

crane operator

With the current usage, it will only take another 17 years to get to 300,000.
The clutch is good, if I patch up these leaks OK it will stay together. ( knocks on the side table).

Clock is kinda ticking on you worrying about it? I catch myself occasionally looking at something and thinking "so I'm 52, if it lasts 15-20 years, then maybe I don't care..."

crane operator

DOT physicals are not cheap. My next one is in May and that will probably be the last.
My last one was $60 or so. Are they that much more out there?

I foot the bill for my employees physicals, and their NCCCO renewal's. The crane card is the one that has really gone up, Get the core and then a few specialties and your looking at $400+

skyking1

I paid at least $150 and I have always paid my own.
The Union pays me back on the crane cert tests. There is a $0.30 per hour deduction paid out of my check for training, mostly for the apprentices but anything I do I get reimbursed.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I was getting them from whoever was my doctor at the time, but then they stopped doing them because their requirements were to onerous. Now I go to the one chiro who still does them for everybody and it's cheaper and easier. Less than 100 dollars and out quickly.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Gave up my Class 1 driver & pilot license medical’s in 2020 , it was my decision. I started flying in 1970, just got 2 expensive. Class 1 drivers in 1980, 2 many idiots out there. But I can still ride Motorcycles with air brakes lol, not happening!. Had a few bad scares with all of them, it was time to fold

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I was getting them from whoever was my doctor at the time, but then they stopped doing them because their requirements were to onerous. Now I go to the one chiro who still does them for everybody and it's cheaper and easier. Less than 100 dollars and out quickly.

When I got my CDL I was informed I would need a medical card only if I drove out of state. I arrived for my CDL test same man asked for my medical card. I said you told me I don't need one. He responded: "We're changing the requirements in six months, we're enforcing it now."

Pi$sed off, I contacted my doctor's office, made an appointment.
When I arrived for my appointment, my doctor was angry! I asked what I had done wrong? He said I had no way of knowing. Doctor said: "I'm qualified to teach others to administer the physical, but for me to be qualified to give the physical, I need to go for a week long course in another state. My certificate expires very soon & I'm not going to take the course."

At the time, only doctor giving CDL physicals within 25 miles of me was a walk in clinic, a one doctor operation. He has since closed down, & the building torn down.

There is a new clinic & I plan on half a day or more waiting room to get a CDL physical.

Truck Shop

I go to Nurse Diesel, she smokes cigars-short not too big around. Operates out of the back
of a U-Haul van, $35 bucks to get your nards pinched checking for hernias.