• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Something you need to know about your big toy...

MyMRO

MyMRO will publish some systematic knowledge about excavator parts, maybe you can get what you want to know here.
Welcome to share with MyMRO your interesting things in the industry and related points that you know.
Much appreciated:)

MyMRO

Types of engines
At present, there are mainly in-line (L-type) engines, V-type (VR-type) engines, W-type engines and horizontally opposed engines. The following are their characteristics.
1. Inline engine
The in-line engine is the most widely used cylinder arrangement form in automobiles, especially the engine with displacement below 2.5L. Its characteristic is that all cylinders are on one plane, and only one cylinder head is used, and the structure of cylinder block and crankshaft is relatively simple. The advantages of this type of engine are compact size, high stability, good low-speed torque characteristics, less fuel consumption, and lower manufacturing cost.

2. V-type engine
The V-shaped engine shortens the length and height of the body, and the lower installation position is convenient for loading in a car with a lower drag coefficient. At the same time, thanks to the opposite arrangement of the cylinders, it can also offset part of the vibration, making the engine run more smoothly and quietly. The disadvantage of the V-type engine is that two cylinder heads must be used, and the structure is more complicated and the cost is higher.
After its width is increased in addition, the space on both sides of the engine is small, and it is difficult to arrange other devices.

3. VR-type engine
In order to meet the needs of horizontally installing high-power engines on medium and low-end vehicles, a VR-type engine was developed. Six cylinders arranged offset from each other by an angle of 15° or less, are housed in a less wide and shorter engine block. This type of engine differs from a V-type engine in that it has only one cylinder head and is narrower than a V-type engine.
These advantages make it possible to install compact VR6 engines on vehicles such as the Volkswagen Golf. This kind of engine with a relatively special cylinder arrangement is widely used in Volkswagen models, and two displacements of 3.2L and 3.6L have been introduced. Among them, the 3.2L VR6 engine was once installed on the Golf R32 and Audi TT, and the 3.6L model was used in R36, Touareg, Phaeton and other models.

4. W-type engine
The W-engine could have been made shorter, which would have saved the space the engine took up while reducing weight, but it was wider and made for a fuller engine bay. Common W-type engines include VW and Audi's W8 and W12 engines. Due to the large number of cylinders, this type of engine has a relatively large displacement and stronger power.

5. Horizontally opposed engine
Due to the high manufacturing cost and process difficulty of this kind of engine, only Porsche and Subaru are currently using it in the world. Subaru cars are almost all boxer engines, and they are famous for this.

MyMRO

The fuel system is generally composed of the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel injector, fuel regulator, etc.
This pic is the structure diagram of the fuel pump.

Attachments

• electric-fuel-pump.png
    electric-fuel-pump.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 5

chidog

Inline are I -eye configuration. L is a cylinder head designation. And your use of many "Types" of engines is incorrect nomenclature to describe cylinder configurations.
Types of engines would be this, Steam, Jet, Turbine, Reciprocating, Rotary (Wankel) etc.
And strange that all you seem to concentrate on is automotive applications, of the various cylinder configurations, usage. This is a Heavy Equipment website. The W configuration can include engines that I guess you know nothing about?

joe--h

As it's British I wonder how many quarts of oil it leaked per hour?

Joe H

joe--h

An old friend ran one shift of the plant where they built those 27 cyl radials in WWII. He had some good stories to tell. After the war he took barges of NEW machinery out in one of the Great Lakes and dumped them.

Joe H

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Here is a picture of my old college buddies from Oregon Tech, Rick & Ollie, performing a major on a Napier in Klamath Falls, back in 1990.

An after class, side hustle. I became somewhat familiar with those beasts. The back story of why those engines were in K-Falls is a story for another day.

Attachments

• DE029893-68FB-484E-B94D-F28A9E02FEAC.jpeg
    DE029893-68FB-484E-B94D-F28A9E02FEAC.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 43

skyking1

Interesting. Watched a video on youtube of one being cold started in a locomotive. Sounds beastly.

My only question is why though? Seems like an overly complicated design to achieve what an inline or V engine already does.
really high power to weight ratio for the time. The inlines did not get anywhere close to the Deltic in terms of HP per pound of weight.

skyking1

Here is a picture of my old college buddies from Oregon Tech, Rick & Ollie, performing a major on a Napier in Klamath Falls, back in 1990.

An after class, side hustle. I became somewhat familiar with those beasts. The back story of why those engines were in K-Falls is a story for another day.
Can't wait to hear that, and I did not know you had a K-falls connection too cool! That is where our nukular family started up after WWII. Two Bobs and the Betty, Boom!

chidog

An old friend ran one shift of the plant where they built those 27 cyl radials in WWII. He had some good stories to tell. After the war he took barges of NEW machinery out in one of the Great Lakes and dumped them.

Joe H
There are no 27 cylinder radials. 4 rows and 7 banks is 28 cylinders.
And oh gosh, I would have loved to have those machines. Is that fellow still alive?
He must have worked at Ford building those engines. And it was more after WW2 that the PW 28 cylinder engines where built on a large scale. In I think the same plant that in war day built the R-3350 that was used in the B29. Trashing those machines would have been close to 1960 or so.
Deltics are very cool, I sort of know the fellow that built the deltic model.

Last edited:

chidog

and horizontally opposed engines.

5. Horizontally opposed engine
Due to the high manufacturing cost and process difficulty of this kind of engine, only Porsche and Subaru are currently using it in the world. Subaru cars are almost all boxer engines, and they are famous for this.
One of the first and most common opposed engine in this country is Vertical. Then there is that Deltic that was posted here. Also most of the first opposed horizontal engines where use in small aircraft. And they are still manufactured by Continental and Lycoming so your not correct about who is still using that configuration.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
There are no 27 cylinder radials. 4 rows and 7 banks is 28 cylinders.
And oh gosh, I would have loved to have those machines. Is that fellow still alive?
He must have worked at Ford building those engines. And it was more after WW2 that the PW 28 cylinder engines where built on a large scale. In I think the same plant that in war day built the R-3350 that was used in the B29. Trashing those machines would have been close to 1960 or so.
Deltics are very cool, I sort of know the fellow that built the deltic model.
Could have been the Chrysler operation in Chicago.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I worked for navy chief who told me they had Deltics in the river patrol boats in Vietnam. The question came up because I was going to a school over at the amphibious base in Norfolk and there were six of them sitting on blocks behind a fenced area. Apparently they had been rebuild and were about to shipped when the war ended.

I was told that radial engines can't have an even number of cylinders because of the way the rods hook up to the crankshaft? Somewhere on YouTube there is a video of a rebuild on a Wasp engine. I'll also have a look when I go down to the aircraft museum at Boeing field next time.