• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Something you need to know about your big toy...

chidog

I was told that radial engines can't have an even number of cylinders because of the way the rods hook up to the crankshaft? Somewhere on YouTube there is a video of a rebuild on a Wasp engine. I'll also have a look when I go down to the aircraft museum at Boeing field next time.
Its because of the firing order, but I think there may have been some with even numbers that have been tried. That 28 cylinder R-4360, has 7 cylinders in each row, so it is uneven number of cylinders. Unlike something like the R-2800 that is only 2 rows, the 28 cylinder job has 4 rows.

joe--h

My friend is long dead and his stories with him. The dumping the tools he said was so the companies that made them would be able to stay in business. If all the surplus tooling went on the market there's be no buyers for new equipment. Into the lake.

He spotted a crankshaft from one of those engines standing on end at the airport in Victorville CA when we were up there racing. Strange looking piece of work.

Joe H