• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Spring/summer works

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
Good day all, seems to have quieted down a bit , everybody is busy, I have been busy also, second round on my roads and most are sprayed now for dust control, I'm going to be taking part in some grader training for some new operators in a week or two, Always look forward to helping out new operators and sharing some info that will help them along, It has been wet this past week with the weather, we call it job security at our shop , lol
Yes been very busy just finished up putting new gravel on the four miles I pulled edges on this spring also did a little spot graveling now time to get caught up on maintenance blading and mowing ditches I’ve also noticed ovrszd hasn’t posted in awhile hope all is well.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
Nice to see experienced operators willingly pass on their knowledge. Have seen some guys feel threatened by new guys coming into their neighborhood.
I have no problem sharing my knowledge with new operators I know I’m not going to do this forever and what good is all my knowledge of I don’t share it with others I feel privileged to pass my knowledge on to new operators that way they can do the same.

20/80

Occupation
operator
I have no problem sharing my knowledge with new operators I know I’m not going to do this forever and what good is all my knowledge of I don’t share it with others I feel privileged to pass my knowledge on to new operators that way they can do the same.
There are old blade hands out there that won't show or even help a new operator, Very sad

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Still on the Volvo. They subbed out the grading behind the pulverizer, and the laying down of the 1 1/4 on the job. They pretty much just went in and out as fast as possible. The graderman had never worked with grade stakes. I cold tell by the look of it that it was going to take a lot of sculpting. Once they started putting the fine grade stakes in, the truth was unveiled. I've never seen so many C 0.1 (cut 4 inches) stakes on a gravel job in my life. They were looking to start paving Thursday. Don't think so. They have also subbed out to these guys for another job. But they promised their a team. Transmission started acting up. Wouldn't go forward, only reverse. Volvo guy traced it down as a broken wire inside the harness.

Welder Dave

Sometimes it's better to do things with your own crew. Not all contractors are competent in the jobs they take. A great example is just about every contractor who has worked on the Edmonton LRT extension. Bad signaling, cracks in a majority of concrete pillars, corroded signal wires before they're even used. The list goes on and on. It's only a $1.8 billion dollar job a couple years behind schedule. I think the penalties are $10,000/day but not positive.

ttps://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/edmontons-valley-line-lrt-needs-cable-replacements-no-opening-date-set

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Sometimes it's better to do things with your own crew. Not all contractors are competent in the jobs they take. A great example is just about every contractor who has worked on the Edmonton LRT extension. Bad signaling, cracks in a majority of concrete pillars, corroded signal wires before they're even used. The list goes on and on. It's only a $1.8 billion dollar job a couple years behind schedule. I think the penalties are $10,000/day but not positive.

ttps://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/edmontons-valley-line-lrt-needs-cable-replacements-no-opening-date-set
These guys are a big company. They do our milling and pulverizing when Miller Group is too busy. Ticket man told me today that their foreman pretty much said as I figured, they were just there to knock it down, and were not worried about grades. With the amount we have been moving this week, would have be easier if they had just stock piled it on site. On a sadder note, a former co worker died yesterday, he was 67. Retired last year. Was doing some work at his daughter's home. Got stung by a bee in his neck, and didn't have his epi pen. By the time the ambulance got to his location, he had been without enough air for 20 min.

Welder Dave

That's terrible. I don't understand why people who need an Epi pen don't always carry one. It's like they figure they're a weaker person because they need it.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
I’ve gotten majority of my roads in good shape now just continue to maintenance blade and mow ditches I took the afternoon to wash and wax the one 2017 140M3 I operate did a full detail on it I want my equipment to look as good as my work does so want machine to look like new.IMG_5903.jpegIMG_5902.jpeg

20/80

Occupation
operator
Just got back from a week of putting on some grader training for the Dept, first few day's were good but then heavy rain moved in on us, had to deal with muddy conditions, training went well, the trainee's were very happy and eager to learn which helps, I forgot to bring my camera for some pics for you guy's, but I will be doing another session in Aug and wiil take some pics then, hoping it will be a lot better conditions.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
There are probably a lot of discussions on here already, but What is everyone's favorite scarifying blade system? I'm fine grading a road for paving. Another company was hired to shape behind the pulverizer, and to spread the gravel. As I suspected, they laid it down and left without concern for anyone coming behind to fine grade. With water and traffic, the material is like concrete, and the government inspector is holding firm to the half inch high, or half inch low spec for string lining. Yesterday, I floated the fine graded section, and moved to the un graded section to try and remove the pot holes for the weekend. The only down side of a stinger system, would be having to remove it for shouldering paved roads. Once this job is fine graded, and the base is put on, a regular cutting edge would have to be installed for fine grading the paved shoulders for seal. In terms of cost, maintainence, durability, and ease of swapping out for different jobs, who likes what?

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
There are probably a lot of discussions on here already, but What is everyone's favorite scarifying blade system? I'm fine grading a road for paving. Another company was hired to shape behind the pulverizer, and to spread the gravel. As I suspected, they laid it down and left without concern for anyone coming behind to fine grade. With water and traffic, the material is like concrete, and the government inspector is holding firm to the half inch high, or half inch low spec for string lining. Yesterday, I floated the fine graded section, and moved to the un graded section to try and remove the pot holes for the weekend. The only down side of a stinger system, would be having to remove it for shouldering paved roads. Once this job is fine graded, and the base is put on, a regular cutting edge would have to be installed for fine grading the paved shoulders for seal. In terms of cost, maintainence, durability, and ease of swapping out for different jobs, who likes what?
I really like the stingers for reshaping and regular maintenance blading in the spring after June I take stingers off and put on my double carbide edges there an inch thick carbide insert with hard facing on the front of the insert for the rest of the season really like them I also have the cat style triangle carbide bits that don’t rotate they do a nice job but are super aggressive only use them for first couple of times over the roads in spring then go to the double carbide edges I’ve tried the sharq system and it is convenient but rotating edges 5 times a day to keep them straight got old in a hurry

Attachments

• IMG_5876.jpeg
    IMG_5876.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I really like the stingers for reshaping and regular maintenance blading in the spring after June I take stingers off and put on my double carbide edges there an inch thick carbide insert with hard facing on the front of the insert for the rest of the season really like them I also have the cat style triangle carbide bits that don’t rotate they do a nice job but are super aggressive only use them for first couple of times over the roads in spring then go to the double carbide edges I’ve tried the sharq system and it is convenient but rotating edges 5 times a day to keep them straight got old in a hurry
I have a mid mount scarifier, which I find useless. You can't get close to grade stakes. Our 1 1/4 quarry packs so hard as the cars drive over it. Especially with the water truck. Compaction tester was there on Friday, she could hardly drive the pin into the ground. Under normal conditions, I can fine grade about 800 to 1000 meters (2624 to 3280 feet) a day, so you're looking at 4 or 5 days of fine grading, they start paving behind me on the second day, so little to no maintainence required before everything is covered. With this mess, I have been 3 days getting enough done for them to pave for one day, then pull out and go back on private work. I can only cut about an inch at a time with standard blades, so a 3 or 4 inch cut through a station can take 3 or 4 passes to get down to grade. Meanwhile the road gets beat up. I'm thinkin this may be the time to convince them it's time for an upgrade. Wear is not a factor. They don't seem to mind changing edges that are done. We never rotate, just cut them when they wear. I do find cutting takes the hardness out of them, and they wear faster

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Here is the million dollar question. Reading PDFs, looking at photos, all these systems seem to have an angle of attack, and talk about road maintainance. Are they good for spreading, and carrying material forward? In both situations, I stand the MB back as far as it goes. This seems like it would cause the shank to run along the ground. Would that be damaging to the system? Mind you you are not cutting. We still have a lot of end dump trailers here, and this job I am on, is full of overhead wires. There are a lot of times when I have to do a lot of pushing. In fact, I think that is what the sub contractor did, but he just went over it enough to make it drivable. Most high spots are at wires

20/80

Occupation
operator
I use
Here is the million dollar question. Reading PDFs, looking at photos, all these systems seem to have an angle of attack, and talk about road maintainance. Are they good for spreading, and carrying material forward? In both situations, I stand the MB back as far as it goes. This seems like it would cause the shank to run along the ground. Would that be damaging to the system? Mind you you are not cutting. We still have a lot of end dump trailers here, and this job I am on, is full of overhead wires. There are a lot of times when I have to do a lot of pushing. In fact, I think that is what the sub contractor did, but he just went over it enough to make it drivable. Most high spots are at wires
I use the stingers for everything to do with road maintenance, I'm not a fine grading operator, MB rolled all the way back is called the mixing mode, roles the material better machine pushes easier, you do get some more wear on the bottom of the stinger holders on the blades, but pushing gravel wouldn't wear them to much, I get three to four years out of a set changing stingers out as I need to, interested in what Cat 140 AWD has for blades, the straight blade with carbide looks interesting, also never seen these triangle carbide bits from Cat

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I use

I use the stingers for everything to do with road maintenance, I'm not a fine grading operator, MB rolled all the way back is called the mixing mode, roles the material better machine pushes easier, you do get some more wear on the bottom of the stinger holders on the blades, but pushing gravel wouldn't wear them to much, I get three to four years out of a set changing stingers out as I need to, interested in what Cat 140 AWD has for blades, the straight blade with carbide looks interesting, also never seen these triangle carbide bits from Cat
My Volvo is a 2011, and there is only a bit over 5000 hrs on it. We don't do much road grading besides a few jobs I have mentioned here and there. I'm thinking I would get a lot more wear out of them than someone like yourself that has miles of road to look after. The most steady use are the 2 or 3 DOT jobs we might get every year, and I would have to remove them for shouldering

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
I use

Here are what the cat style non rotating triangle carbide bits look like I like them but like I said super aggressive so only use first couple of times in the spring on the roads I love the double carbide edges very durable I’ve been getting 2 to 4 years on them very happy with them only down side is once they get older them can chip from rocks but just part of the game IMG_5912.png

20/80

Occupation
operator
Here are what the cat style non rotating triangle carbide bits look like I like them but like I said super aggressive so only use first couple of times in the spring on the roads I love the double carbide edges very durable I’ve been getting 2 to 4 years on them very happy with them only down side is once they get older them can chip from rocks but just part of the game View attachment 290276
Thanks for sharing that, wondering do those bits have to use the Cat blade or any blade that fits the Cat MB

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
Thanks for sharing that, wondering do those bits have to use the Cat blade or any blade that fits the Cat MB
It will mount on any machine just have to have the mounting boards that hold the bits ik blackcat makes the same as from cat I have the blackcat ones and work good just as the cat ones do