• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Standard Blade or VPAT Blade?

Digger85

This is just a sort of general inquiry, more of an advice seeking question for me personally that i haven't found an answer for on the internet yet, but a question none the less i come across quite often when talking to landholders who are looking for a versatile dozer. If you had the option between a SU blade or a PAT or VPAT blade on a dozer which would you choose?

I'm asking this question because I have come across the opportunity to possibly purchase one of a couple Cat D6R dozers. The two that really interest me are newer model machines, well looked after with good maintenance records and are 210hp machines. basically the only difference between the two is literally the blades which is why i'm looking for advice. We want to use the machine to build a few larger size dams for irrigation water storage, construct drains, build and then maintain/grade roads and also a bit of site leveling. On the other hand once a lot of those projects are done it would mainly be doing a fair bit of property clearing, stick raking, and tree clearing.

I have been told that a VPAT blade is no good for land clearing or stump moving and stuff like that but i just thought id put the question out there to see what some of you more experienced dozer owners/operators might have to say. thanks in advance :)

ih100

Big stumps, well screwed into hard ground, SU. A lot of bulk earthmoving, SU. Occasional small stumps, landscaping, spreading, PAT/VPAT. My feeling is you’d kill a PAT blade on the dams before you get to the road grading and pad levelling. You can grade with an SU, just takes a little longer.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
On a D6 or bigger I would go with an SU. blade, they are a lot stronger specially if u are doing stumping and land clearing. They also dig better and cary more material and have a lot less moving parts. 6 way blades are more suited to finishing work and light materials.

Welder Dave

Guy that did some clearing for me had a JD850J WLT (D6D+ size) with a 6 way blade. It had a major crack in the C frame and why he got a good deal on it. He figures the damage was caused by stumping but for dirt work and road building a 6 way is much more versatile. He does a lot of brush work but leaves the big stumps for his 200 size excavator.

skyking1

Why couldn't a fellow fab or fit his own stump splitter? you bust a stump and takes so much of the fight out of it. I know it's old skool but it is easier on the iron.