• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Strange buyer's

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC Placer gold

We also live in a rural area (6000 or so) with a larger town of around 20,000 within half an hour. In the last 5 years or so 3 large storage compounds have appeared...lay down crush, put up a chain link fence, and presto within a few months (or less) the compound is filled with a couple hundred RV's!

I am amazed as each time I think to myself the market for rv storage must be saturated...even seen some smaller operations popping up on acreages. Rarely see people/activity in these compounds, notice very little movement of units...

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Been looking to acquire another bike. I swear people selling on classified sites are just as dumb as the people trying to buy stuff.

I send a message asking if the bike's still around because I'm interested and can come by and look any evening of the week, just name a day and time. The ad says the bike has no battery so I also mention I can bring one along as I want to see that the bike runs and shifts.

All I get as an answer is I'm working and will be buying a new battery for the bike. No mention of a day or time I can come look. You want to sell this bike or not?

I'm going to go buy a used trade in from a dealer. Sick of dealing with morons on the classifieds.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Thanks for the segway 92U, there's a storage joint down the road from me too (imagine that) and I'm in the middle of nowhere. Was out brush hogging by the road last fall, feller on a bike broke down side of road. Being the helpful kinda guy I am, went to see if I could render some assistance, was broken rectifier wire, easy fix. While talking to the dude find out he has property out here but lives in the concrete jungle, his bike stored out here as well because his wifey said absolutely NO MOTORCYCLE. Turns out she also hates coming out to the property so the bike is a secret. Storage barns do have a place after all.

Tugger2

Im busy cleaning up my yard . Scrapping quite a bit when the price is decent. I dont mind keeping big chunks of plate ,straight beams ,H piles and pipe if the lengths are decent.steel is always usable if it dosent have crap welded all over it and it keeps going up in value.Wood is bad here it rots before you can use it. The other thing ive kept a lot of is pipe fittings,they are my rainy day project in the shop,undo them all buff em clean on the wire wheel and put them in my bin. Ive got more valves and fitting than most suppliers and i get good use out of them without going to the store. The tough one is to convince myself that no one needs old crane parts anymore .Im dismantling 3 400 series Americans .One a 4450 was actually in very good shape and its been a challenge to throw away parts that are still good,i know hard i searched when i needed them.
Doing a good cleanup is a challenge .I have a half acre of space im trying to empty for rental ,might make sense to do that with the other acre i have around the shop.Who knows until you try it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Local farmers with extra Leanto space started renting Covered RV storage, half price of the big town places. No card keys, have to call property owner or sheriff called as taken as treapasser.

Caught several trying to steal from or entire units, carry your own insurance, none on property owners side except for the building.

Old Doug

Local farmers with extra Leanto space started renting Covered RV storage, half price of the big town places. No card keys, have to call property owner or sheriff called as taken as treapasser.

Caught several trying to steal from or entire units, carry your own insurance, none on property owners side except for the building.
I would want some very good contracts for the renters to sign and know a good lawyer just in case.

motionclone

Come and look and show me your serious, and Ill consider your offer in person.

I tell them Im willing to deal, IN PERSON.
I walk away from anyone selling that says that. Its the 21st century with many forms of communication like pics, video, multiple ways to communicate the condition of something. I ask a million questions, ask for pics etc then i make sure a price is agreed on before walking out the door and investing any time, fuel, etc on the deal. When I head out the door its to close the sale not go tire kicking.

When I sell its the same deal, If someone asks if they can "come take a look at it" as a first communication i say no, ask a million questions, be serious and ready to buy then get ahold of me.

These methods avoid hassles, tire kickers, no shows etc.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I walk away from anyone selling that says that. Its the 21st century with many forms of communication like pics, video, multiple ways to communicate the condition of something. I ask a million questions, ask for pics etc then i make sure a price is agreed on before walking out the door and investing any time, fuel, etc on the deal. When I head out the door its to close the sale not go tire kicking.

When I sell its the same deal, If someone asks if they can "come take a look at it" as a first communication i say no, ask a million questions, be serious and ready to buy then get ahold of me.

These methods avoid hassles, tire kickers, no shows etc.
Its a 2 way street. I don't agree to a price unless I physically see the item. If I message someone then I have the cash in hand and I prepared to pay up to the asking price if the item is as shown and described. Dealt with people who intentionally misrepresent what they're selling, even in the additional photos and videos. I'd rather jump in my truck, drive 20 minutes and see it in person.

motionclone

Its a 2 way street. I don't agree to a price unless I physically see the item. If I message someone then I have the cash in hand and I prepared to pay up to the asking price if the item is as shown and described. Dealt with people who intentionally misrepresent what they're selling, even in the additional photos and videos. I'd rather jump in my truck, drive 20 minutes and see it in person.
20 minutes no problem but up near me nothing is 20 minutes away unless extremely lucky. Up in Maine stuff is an hour or more away which means 2 hours or more round trip, a significant investment in time, fuel etc.
For a while i was making people send me pics of the cash laid out on a table to show me they were serious buyers with the correct amount of cash before i would give out my address.

"Not interested in showing it, only interested in selling it" I would say

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
20 minutes no problem but up near me nothing is 20 minutes away unless extremely lucky. Up in Maine stuff is an hour or more away which means 2 hours or more round trip, a significant investment in time, fuel etc.
For a while i was making people send me pics of the cash laid out on a table to show me they were serious buyers with the correct amount of cash before i would give out my address.

"Not interested in showing it, only interested in selling it" I would say
Fair enough. I stick to a 30-45 minute radius when searching for items so I don't have to go too far. I never remembered buying/selling being such a PITA like its been the last few years. Anything I want to sell these days I just take to the auction now. Even now trying to buy a bike I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and pay the dealership markup just to avoid the headache of dealing with people.

motionclone

"What's the lowest price you'll take?"
I always ask that but only after a seller has invested some time into answering my questions. I do it for 2 reasons:
1. Because, as the buyer, I want to pay the absolute least amount of money i can for your item, Its the smart thing to do. Its the sellers job to hold the line not the buyers.

2. If an emotionally charged response comes back from such an innocent question like that it means Im dealing with a person driven by emotion. That useful info can be leveraged in a buy tactic.

motionclone

Fair enough. I stick to a 30-45 minute radius when searching for items so I don't have to go too far. I never remembered buying/selling being such a PITA like its been the last few years. Anything I want to sell these days I just take to the auction now. Even now trying to buy a bike I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and pay the dealership markup just to avoid the headache of dealing with people.
Its a total PIA because the world is full of dirtbags and selfish people with no pride or respect. Ive been buying and selling stuff through many different mediums for 30 or so years now and ive found that the harsh tactics i now use weed out most BS and time wasting crap.

Shimmy1

Well, I can promise you that I would never buy something from you then. I absolutely will not buy anything sight-unseen unless I am absolutely certain that I'm getting it for cheap enough that I have an out.

I literally just had a situation where I drove 3 hours, looked the machine over, and made an offer. They countered, I held firm. Headed for home, 30 minutes later they called back and offered it for $500 less than what I offered, if I agreed to the price before the end of the day. I told them I'd talk to my guys and let them know. Called them back in 10 minutes and took the deal.

The final price was $10,500 cheaper than the advertised price when I left home that morning.

Buying/selling is a game, and sometimes you just have to play a little bit to win.

Welder Dave

I don't get saying no if someone wants to come and look at something first either. If someone made a lowball offer over the phone and wanted to come and look I'd tell them not to waste my time. Sometimes cash in hand on the spot is worth selling for slightly less just because you don't have to deal with any more idiots wasting your time.

Old Growth

Well, I can promise you that I would never buy something from you then. I absolutely will not buy anything sight-unseen unless I am absolutely certain that I'm getting it for cheap enough that I have an out.

I literally just had a situation where I drove 3 hours, looked the machine over, and made an offer. They countered, I held firm. Headed for home, 30 minutes later they called back and offered it for $500 less than what I offered, if I agreed to the price before the end of the day. I told them I'd talk to my guys and let them know. Called them back in 10 minutes and took the deal.

The final price was $10,500 cheaper than the advertised price when I left home that morning.

Buying/selling is a game, and sometimes you just have to play a little bit to win.
Yep pretty sure I dont have time to meet motionclones demands and send a hundred pics and then have him beat me up on price over the phone just to drive over and then try and lowball some more.

I don’t need your money. If your clinking on my item. You are the one in need. Make the effort to come look and I’ll make the effort to entertain your offer.

It seems the folks that I bend over backwards for trying to sell things for are the WORST buyers I ever deal with. Usually they end up NOT being buyers.

The guy that picks up the phone, asks me pertinent questions about the item then says, “when can I come look”?
That is the fella I will dicker with.

Last edited:

motionclone

I walk away from anyone that says,

“send me pics of the cash laid out on a table first”
Good. Weve both probably missed out on good deals but I KNOW for a fact ive saved lots and lots of wasted time doing it my way. My time is worth a lot more than saving a few bucks on a buy or making a few extra bucks on a sell.

Shimmy1

Good. Weve both probably missed out on good deals but I KNOW for a fact ive saved lots and lots of wasted time doing it my way. My time is worth a lot more than saving a few bucks on a buy or making a few extra bucks on a sell.
And that's fine, if your game is buying and selling.

My game is making money with machinery and trucks. I need machinery and trucks to do that, and I need to buy machinery and trucks for the right prices. I don't have time to be screwing around trying to forensically examine a bunch of sh!tty photos that are taken at just the right angles and in just the right light to make something look as good as it can, or better than it is. Also, a fair price for something is what two people agree on, not slightly lower than the average of the 5 highest prices you can find something listed at.
When I stumble across your item, I have no idea if you are asking $10k hoping to get $7k, or asking $10k for something that's really worth $8k, but you think it's actually worth $12k.

And I have no way to really know until I come and examine it with my own eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.