• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Strange buyer's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Doug

I would have to be pretty hungry to get into buying and selling. I haven't had a lot of bad stuff happen when I have sold stuff but I don't like doing it. I try my best whenever I buy something I plan on keeping it till my last day or it is junk. A lot of guys that do it complain but they wouldn't keep doing it unless they really liked it.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
What gets me is the people still wanting more than new price for a used item. I know it’s none of my business but I still want to message them and say how does this work.
I just bought a new ATV from our local dealer off the showroom floor with all the bells and whistles where they had more than one to choose from. I get looking at marketplace and I see used bikes a year old with low miles great condition and the people want 2 to 3 grand more than I paid new. WTF.
We no longer have a lack of supply issue . Move on.

motionclone

And that's fine, if your game is buying and selling.

My game is making money with machinery and trucks. I need machinery and trucks to do that, and I need to buy machinery and trucks for the right prices. I don't have time to be screwing around trying to forensically examine a bunch of sh!tty photos that are taken at just the right angles and in just the right light to make something look as good as it can, or better than it is. Also, a fair price for something is what two people agree on, not slightly lower than the average of the 5 highest prices you can find something listed at.
When I stumble across your item, I have no idea if you are asking $10k hoping to get $7k, or asking $10k for something that's really worth $8k, but you think it's actually worth $12k.

And I have no way to really know until I come and examine it with my own eyes.
My game ISNT buying and selling its just what i do to clean out stuff i dont need or buy stuff i do need but dont need brand new.

My game is making money with my hands and a skillset with help of equipment which is why ive learned not to waste much of my valuable time buying and selling used stuff and dealing with the flaky public.

Why not take advantage of modern tech to help determine if its even worth while to take time to go look at something? A picture speaks a 1000 words. Sure look it over with your eyes before forking over the cash but look over pics and ask a million questions before you invest any of your time in chasing a transaction with a stranger to begin with?

A decent seller will include a bunch of good pics and a detailed description including the good and the bad right in the initial ad.

And yes, ive asked to see pics of cash before giving out my address after spending hours of lost time on no shows then an hour showing a truck i had for sale and the buyer wanted to write me a check for it. Sent him packing and now vet the people i do transactions with better.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
What gets me is the people still wanting more than new price for a used item. I know it’s none of my business but I still want to message them and say how does this work.
I just bought a new ATV from our local dealer off the showroom floor with all the bells and whistles where they had more than one to choose from. I get looking at marketplace and I see used bikes a year old with low miles great condition and the people want 2 to 3 grand more than I paid new. WTF.
We no longer have a lack of supply issue . Move on.
7 years ago I sold my pickup and bought a new one. Literally just last night I found an identical truck to that one on Kijiji. Slightly less miles and the same year. They're asking over $10k more for it than what I sold mine for back in '17.

Every car dealer and lot near me is packed to the gills with new vehicles. No excuse for the price gouging anymore.

Mobiltech

Occupation
years ago when we bought a new sled , quad or truck we knew the minute we drove it off the lot it was worth 20 percent less than we paid. These days the value hardly changes and in some people’s minds it goes up.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
years ago when we bought a new sled , quad or truck we knew the minute we drove it off the lot it was worth 20 percent less than we paid. These days the value hardly changes and in some people’s minds it goes up.
Myself I would never buy a used sled, quad or SXS for near new prices. We all know how stuff like that gets treated. Most used sleds/quads are worth a couple grand at best in my mind unless they truely are immaculate.

I love motorcycles but even the prices on those are getting stupid. I love Harley's and Indians but I can't justify $60k for a new one. I could buy 2 to 4 bikes of just about any other brand for that price. Seems like I'll have to buy a 90s to early 2000s Harley as that seems to be the window where they've depreciated down as much as they ever will but haven't really started to appreciate in value in the vintage/collector market.

Mobiltech

Occupation
What’s with SUV prices these days too. I priced out a new suburban diesel with some bells but no whistles and it was north of 100,000 bucks. The loaded ones are 120. Thanks but no thanks.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
If we get hit with hard times in the near future all these dealers are going to lose their shirts on the inventory.

The local dealer here is advertising $10k off Denali and High Country pickups. You can't tell me they aren't still making money off every sale with $10k off sticker price.

Shimmy1

the buyer wanted to write me a check for it. Sent him packing and now vet the people i do transactions with better.

If I have to pay more than a few hundred bucks for an item, you're taking my Business check. It has my name, phone number, and address on it. Same number I'm calling you on, same address on my driver's license. You can look up my business name with the State of ND if you want to.

But, if you refuse to take a check from me, you're selling it to someone else.

And, I guess that's your prerogative, but not everyone is a crook or a thief.

Welder Dave

I think it depends on how long you've had something for sale too. If it's worth more than a couple hundred bucks and especially if it's worth thousands, most serious buyers will want to inspect it in person, try it out and satisfy themselves as to its condition and if it's suitable for their needs. There is no picture, description or even video that comes close to inspecting and trying an item in person. I would get really annoyed with someone asking me a million questions. I'd think they were more a tire kicker than a serious buyer. I would say come and check it out for yourself if you're serious. If you expect to try and lowball me, don't waste my time.
With the welder I sold I was very fortunate I had a place where it could be tried out and I could try it out myself. I took a few pics. and made a video. I didn't know I couldn't send very long video's though. One of the pics. was of a few beads I did to show how well it welded with 6010 and 7018. These are the 2 most common rods but both require a decent welder to burn properly. Most welder ads I see never show any pics. of how the welder works. A potential buyer could see it welds the same as the pics. I also offered some welding lessons and I sure wouldn't do that without a good welder. As it turned out the buyer was too far away to try it out for himself so I did everything I possibly could to ease his mind it was a good machine. I was satisfied it was in perfect working condition. The only thing I omitted was the year it was made but he never asked. I'm sure he knew it was older because it came up after he bought it. He did some research and thought it was from the 70's. I said I think it's from the 80's which it is although 1980. I think a lot of people would get hung up on the year. With a welder it's more about how well it works than how old it is. I had to go a couple hours out of my way but would have had to to deliver it closer and give some lessons anyway. I got paid a little extra for it too. The guy that bought it I think was like a kid in the candy store and couldn't wait to try it out. I was so happy to get a text saying it welded like a dream although I already knew it was a huge improvement over the basic AC buzzbox he had been using.

Old Growth

If I have to pay more than a few hundred bucks for an item, you're taking my Business check. It has my name, phone number, and address on it. Same number I'm calling you on, same address on my driver's license. You can look up my business name with the State of ND if you want to.

Its not that I dont trust you or your check, I dont trust the system that eaves drops on that check.

If your not up to speed on the current changes, have a word with your b-keeper.

Welder Dave

One thing that can be an advantage to selling stuff yourself is that you only need 1 serious potential buyer. With an auction you need at least 2 and most people won't pay as much at an auction. There are exceptions though where people stupidly pay more at an auction than they could go buy the item new. Auctions are good when you mostly just need stuff gone or you have something in high demand.

Welder Dave

Its not that I dont trust you or your check, I dont trust the system that eaves drops on that check.

If your not up to speed on the current changes, have a word with your b-keeper.
Nothing wrong with a cheque nor is there with the seller waiting till the cheque clears before the item leaves their possession. Going to the sellers bank with a cheque is OK too. Way too many scams out there. I wanted cash for the welder if I'm driving 2 hours away. Even with an e-transfer I'd want to be absolutely certain the money went through. I also didn't want to take a chance the internet or whatever didn't go down. Cash is best but not very convenient for large purchases.

motionclone

My ads always say cash only. If someone tries to give me a check i send them on down the road dont care how far they drove from. Unwritten rule in my region today is never take a check on a private sale for anything. Its too easy to forge, stop payment, etc etc. Scams everywhere etc.

Most businesses wont even take a paper check from someone anymore , dont care if its a "business" check or not.

Large transactions over 10K, bank to bank wire transfer or shared banking deposit only. And product doesnt leave the property until my bank says the money is there and cant be pulled out.

motionclone

You can hold on to your item until a cheque has gone through and the money is in your account.
Or you can require cash payment only that way there doesnt need to be multiple visits to my property, phone calls to check to see if check is cleared, potential for buyer to stop payment and back out leaving me hanging, My wife backing her car into your item sitting in my driveway while we make sure the check cleared. etc. etc. lots of reasons a check is a bad idea.

If you can write a check, you can stop at the bank and get cash sheeeeeesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.