• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Strange buyer's

Status
Not open for further replies.

terex herder

You can walk in and ask for your money in cash. You may have to wait a few days for a smaller bank to get that much cash on hand. However, in some states more than others, southern states especially, a sheriffs deputy or state trooper will soon pull you over for crossing the fog line. They will claim some reason to search your car and discover your cash. They will seize the cash, stating it is possible evidence of a crime. The county attorney will then start civil forfeiture proceedings against you for the cash. Since they have all your money, its kinda hard to hire a lawyer to protest the forfeiture.

kaffine

You absolutely could. Its ridiculous to think you couldnt, its YOUR MONEY

I don't know where you bank but none that I have dealt with would I be able to pull that much out just walking in. It would require at least a day if not more notice so they could have the cash on hand. I've had issues with banks not having cash on hand to get $3k in cash. I'm guessing they had more than that on hand but wouldn't hand it all out to a single customer as that would shut the branch down for the rest of the day.

Welder Dave

A bank would transfer the money to another bank if you were changing banks. Banks don't hold unlimited funds. If you were purchasing something they would do a bank draft. What if it was $1mil.? You think the bank would/could just hand it to you in cash. Not a chance and the amount would be a whole lot less than $1mil. Like was mentioned, $3000 could be difficult for some banks.

Last edited:

motionclone

I don't know where you bank but none that I have dealt with would I be able to pull that much out just walking in. It would require at least a day if not more notice so they could have the cash on hand. I've had issues with banks not having cash on hand to get $3k in cash. I'm guessing they had more than that on hand but wouldn't hand it all out to a single customer as that would shut the branch down for the rest of the day.
Like i stated above, I pulled 23K cash from a small town bank branch in Maine and nobody batted an eye sounds like your bank sucks.
And on several other occasions i pulled 12k, 15k and the like from a different bank in a small town in Maine and got no probs.

Maybe its regional thing dont know.

Transactions up in this range would be best to wire transfer or shared branch transfer so as to not be a target for a thief, But Cash is a possibility even over 10K

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Had a bass boat, 17' Starcraft, had a Merc 45 jet drive outboard. Yes, it was different.
Listed it on c-list (stupid).
After all the lookie loos got weeded out, got a serious buyer that wanted to see it.
Guy comes out, "I brought my mechanic!"
Good for you.
Checked it out....compression test etc....I sat on the porch and drank beer. Didn't offer them any, f-you.
He finally started laying out dead presidents on the boat...200 less than asking.
I got up, gathered the cash.....enjoy yer new boat.

Ed

Shimmy1

Well at any rate, I for one am not showing up to buy something with 10k in Benjamins bulging out of my pocket.

I wouldn't pay in cash if it was $5k, ESPECIALLY if the seller was refusing to allow me to come and look first, and demanding me send him pictures of said cash. It's ridiculous conditions like this that make buying/selling a PITA.

cfherrman

Bank is lieing to you if they don't have 3k on hand. Banks are supposed to have a certain amount on hand because of bank runs and they use an automatic clearing house to have the money on hand.

Civil asset forfeiture is a very real and scary thing. This on guy had some cash on him to buy a truck and got it seized, took like 4 years to get it back. The feds seized all the safe deposit boxes in some bank I think in California, took $100k and 4-5 years to get their boxes back.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
I guess I’m different.
I think I have about 15 to 1700 in my pocket right now.
Going to bank in a little bit to pull out 6k as I usually carry 2k and will put rest in safe.
I buy high dollar items all the time and want the cash discount.
Just sold the wife’s Camaro on Carvana and she deposited a 12k check last week.
We bought it in cash.
Sometimes I will use a bank check, we are allowed 2 a month for free but with cash, if I can get a discount, I will.
We are not in a high crime area but always CCL, no hero, just aware.
Before I go to bank, I’m going to look at tires for the Jeep JK that I paid cash for last week that’s replacing my wife’s Camaro. I know the tire guy appreciates cash.
Some people are different, I learned from my father to always carry cash because that gun deal maybe right around the corner.
My neighbor is the same, so is my brother.
He bought a Chevy 2500 last month and between him, my father and me he drove up north with 16k in cash to offer on a truck listed on CL that was 18k OBO. Whelp 16k was the number.
When I had my driveway paved, the Gypsies give you one number but ALWAYS charge more. We had XTRA XTRA money in the safe for that day.
Went from 7500 to 12,5k for more asphalt as driveway is 770 ft long.
We got a quarter of it paved.
Cash is king, under 20k after that ET or Bank Check.
Everybody is different.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Bank is lieing to you if they don't have 3k on hand. Banks are supposed to have a certain amount on hand because of bank runs and they use an automatic clearing house to have the money on hand.

The Bank as a whole system must have required amounts of "cash on hand", but that doesn't mean actual paper money sitting in the vault at the local branch. 3k seems a bit low, but I know that at my local bank branch if I wanted more than maybe 5k out I would need to give them notice of a day or so in order for them to have it at the branch.

mekanik

Banks have to be careful of fraud too. A Notary Public pulled off a substantial bank fraud was never caught and the way he did it is still wide open for exploitation.
Here is an explanation of what a Notary is as they may called something different south of the border:

A notary public (a.k.a. notary or public notary; pl. notaries public) of the common law is a public officer constituted by law to serve the public in non-contentious matters usually concerned with general financial transactions, estates, deeds, powers-of-attorney, and foreign and international business.

The Notary bought a nice home in Toronto. Homes where he bought sold for around $400,000 at the time. Shortly afterwards he did up and submits the paperwork to release the title of the house from the mortgage. Then he went to another lending institution and took out a second mortgage against the same house. He would have been able to borrow close to $300,000. He did this a total of five times all the while making payments to the mortgage holders. He then abandoned the home and disappeared with the money. He would have probably taken the various lenders for close to one and a half million dollars. That was close to twenty years ago and he was never caught.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
You absolutely could. Its ridiculous to think you couldnt, its YOUR MONEY
No you can't. Banks only keep small amounts of cash at their various branches. A few years ago, I went in to my local bank branch to withdraw $25,000.00 I needed for a cash purchase. The bank could not give me that much cash without a couple of days wait for it to be approved and sent out by their main banking office. I believe I went in on a Friday, and they could not provide the cash until the following Tues. I was ticked, as I did not think it would be a problem, since it was " my money".

cfherrman

The Bank as a whole system must have required amounts of "cash on hand", but that doesn't mean actual paper money sitting in the vault at the local branch. 3k seems a bit low, but I know that at my local bank branch if I wanted more than maybe 5k out I would need to give them notice of a day or so in order for them to have it at the branch.

Yeah what I'm talking about is digital money and changes from day to day. I'm very curious how much paper money they would have.

motionclone

I wouldn't pay in cash if it was $5k, ESPECIALLY if the seller was refusing to allow me to come and look first, and demanding me send him pictures of said cash. It's ridiculous conditions like this that make buying/selling a PITA.
Then theres that clown that demands a private seller take a check for something after wasting the sellers time and agreeing to buy even though the ad says CASH ONLY. THATS what actually makes private sales a PIA nowadays. Well that and people who are too lazy to read the description, look at pics, ask for more pics, ask question and generally inform themselves BEFORE asking to come take a look.

Last edited:

motionclone

No you can't. Banks only keep small amounts of cash at their various branches. A few years ago, I went in to my local bank branch to withdraw $25,000.00 I needed for a cash purchase. The bank could not give me that much cash without a couple of days wait for it to be approved and sent out by their main banking office. I believe I went in on a Friday, and they could not provide the cash until the following Tues. I was ticked, as I did not think it would be a problem, since it was " my money".
Yeah might take a couple days for them to get the green cash on hand but you absolutely can withdraw every penny in green cash. A few people here seem to think there is a limit to the amount of your own cash you can take out..lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.