• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Strange, interesting and funny stories buying and selling equipment

Old Doug

My Dad had a ton Chevy cub van . He had 6 at the time and wanted to sell this one but it need a muffler or exhaust work. The muffler guy when he was moving it around didnt come to a full stop and broke the sprag clutch in its TH400 no reverse . I had it apart and was about ready to put it back in when a couple wanted to look at it. It was 7:00 at night they wanted it and ask when it would be fixed . I told them before noon tomorrow . The woman ask if she paid me something could i have it done sooner ??

cfherrman

It is set up for towing, with the heaviest suspension package available. I might be using the wrong term here. Let's just say with "towing package". :)

That would be every f250/f350 sold, the only differences is the front springs for engine and the excursion had a lighter front spring set. The f350's have spacers front and rear. I guess you might be looking at the option for a brake controller?

Roadoil

I buy equipment that I will use for myself at auction. I'll at times upgrade it with something more powerful or newer I won at auction sell it for many years.

The past 2 years have had strange things happen one item I won at RB $6000 was supposedly listed by mistake as a similar unit was put on iron planet $30,000 same seller

I really wanted the item I won, get a email next day their is a problem with sale. After some back and forth with RB and talking to a lawyer didn't want to pay $20k in legal fees RB asked how much to walk away I said $10k they offered me $3k and came through with a check. So walked away even though they stated each sale is a binding contract.

Next one govdeals won a JD backhoe from Indian Reservation, said as is been sitting 2 years unknown if running didn't make it there for over a week when I got there the machine I won and paid for was gone. Gov deals totally messed up lot numbers and serial numbers the guy that got mine knew it wasn't his as mine had a enclosed cab glass no flat tires went for much more much nicer, his he won was a open cab beat up seat interior and flat tires off the rim.

He obviously didn't argue with them just considered it a present lol, I saw his number contact info tried to call to see if he was gonna bring it back since I traveled 600 miles to get it if I should stay or not. Of course his number disconnected, they were trying to contact him also. They made the mistake it was his.

But after much negotiation with seller and govdeals they originally told me just gonna refund my money but I spent 3 days driving to get it and my fuel wasn't enough, they had another similar condition sitting there they gave me instead at my suggestion told them I wanted it as a replacement so got a slightly better machine for original price I paid.

Last edited:

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
That would be every f250/f350 sold, the only differences is the front springs for engine and the excursion had a lighter front spring set. The f350's have spacers front and rear. I guess you might be looking at the option for a brake controller?
You can get them from the Factory with the 5th wheel hitch and puck system already installed, which is how mine was purchased. It is an OPTION, not a standard item. Also can get the F350 with SRW, again, an option, not standard as I recall. Heck, I've slept since then!

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none

F250's do not have the same rear springs as an F350.

Queenslander

One of the most satisfying sales I have made involved a 100 series Landcruiser wagon.
It was 6 years old with 200,000klms, so hardly a unique vehicle.
Dealer offered us next to nothing as a trade on a new one so we decided to advertise it online.
Within 15 minutes of placing the ad, we had a call from the eventual buyer.
Base solely on my description and a few photos they flew from Broome to Brisbane then spent 4 hours on a bus to get to our home town.
They inspected the vehicle, visited the bank, handed over the cash and drove it home.
Huge leap of faith on their part, I thought.
IMG_4214.jpeg

oarwhat

Another Oshkosh story. Put this beauty on Ebay. It was a good strong truck but barely used for 3-4 years before selling. Guy contacts me ask can it be driven home. Sure how far ? Missouri . That's 850 miles from Buffalo. Told him no way . The right front brake line was cut and bent over to stop a leak. The truck goes 48 miles an hour floored. Hadn't been driven more than 25 miles in 5 years. Nope he bought it and going to fly in and drive it home.
Now it gets interesting. He fly's into Cleveland not Buffalo, gets on a bus, then a taxi and shows up at my shop. This guy is smoking 2 cigarettes at the same time. He definitely has some kind of mental affliction. I take him to DMV and somehow it gets temporary plates. I think they just wanted him out. Back to my shop and of he goes.
Like 4 days go by and I get a call from his brother. " Did my brother pickup that truck" Yea why don't you know about it. Well, they're not speaking because he told him not to get it. He said he would have had to tie him up to stop him. He asks me to send him pictures for the local Sheriff , to try and locate him.
Buyer calls the next day saying" I heard you were worried about me" He said the heater quit day one and he had an air leak the last two days but revved up it was ok. CRAZY DUDE!
#8 oshkosh011.JPG

Zewnten

Some how I ended up with a Dodge Durango that was all beat up as part of a trade. Listed it for parts as it ran and drove ok but bald to the wires tires, the interior was completely trashed and there was an issue with the title but the title was clean. Owner just didn’t want to get a reprinted title, no idea why.

Some weirdo shows up says he’ll take it. Ok sure have him sign off that it’s for parts only blah blah and off he goes driving the thing. Get a call a week later that he broke down in Arizona from overheating and wanted his money back. I wouldn’t have trusted that thing to go across town.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Some how I ended up with a Dodge Durango that was all beat up as part of a trade. Listed it for parts as it ran and drove ok but bald to the wires tires, the interior was completely trashed and there was an issue with the title but the title was clean. Owner just didn’t want to get a reprinted title, no idea why.

Some weirdo shows up says he’ll take it. Ok sure have him sign off that it’s for parts only blah blah and off he goes driving the thing. Get a call a week later that he broke down in Arizona from overheating and wanted his money back. I wouldn’t have trusted that thing to go across town.

Some people only hear what they want to hear.

eastroad

I'll tell you from personal experience, you haven't lived until you have driven something 6 hours straight hammered down at 44 mph.
I
Try running in a convoy from Rutland, VT to Fort Drum driving a 10 ton M123A1C tractor hauling a D7E AND a sheep’s foot roller. 43 mph tops on the Thruway and up route 12.The other route over the top on route 11 was no better. Or roading a 831 CAT or 290M scraper through Malone and over the Rouse’s point bridge including I-89 and route 7.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
You didn't mention taking anything on the ferry across Lake Champlain. Now there's an adventure. ;)
I
Try running in a convoy from Rutland, VT to Fort Drum driving a 10 ton M123A1C tractor hauling a D7E AND a sheep’s foot roller. 43 mph tops on the Thruway and up route 12.The other route over the top on route 11 was no better. Or roading a 831 CAT or 290M scraper through Malone and over the Rouse’s point bridge including I-89 and route 7.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I was selling a tractor a year or so ago. One of those grey market Japanese mini tractors with a loader, 2 cyl diesel. I had a helluva time finding parts for it, and when I did they were spendy. Not interested in that, so tractor had to go. I wanted 4 grand for it, which was cheap. Guy comes out, and brings his buddy "who knows engines". You know the type... this guy wasn't going to hear one word I said. Ok, fine, do your thing manly man. When it comes time to talk turkey, he starts trying to talk me down. I told him I was firm on the price, and look around at what else is out there if you don't believe me. Of course, he said (I bet you can guess), "oh I know lots of others that are much cheaper". Then I said, of course, "go there then, bye". he starts to get creative and telling me his sob stories, blah blah blah. After a few minutes, I told him "I'm firm on the price. If you want it, buy it. If you don't, have a nice day". He then asked if I would give him $100 military discount. That's a soft spot for me, so I told him to show me his 214. I didn't serve, but I know alot of guys who did, and most of those keep a copy (usually a laminated card in their wallet) easily accessible all the time. That's how they get discounts at restaurants and stores all over the place, so they keep it handy. I would too. He didn't have it, and didn't seem to understand what that was. Tried to BS me anyway. It was actually kinda sad at some point, and I got pissed off. I told him to take off, and he finally buckled, gave me the cash and went on down the road. We probably spent 30-40 minutes haggling over a hundred bucks, and he was lying through his teeth the whole time.

Mechanicsville804

Another Oshkosh story. Put this beauty on Ebay. It was a good strong truck but barely used for 3-4 years before selling. Guy contacts me ask can it be driven home. Sure how far ? Missouri . That's 850 miles from Buffalo. Told him no way . The right front brake line was cut and bent over to stop a leak. The truck goes 48 miles an hour floored. Hadn't been driven more than 25 miles in 5 years. Nope he bought it and going to fly in and drive it home.
Now it gets interesting. He fly's into Cleveland not Buffalo, gets on a bus, then a taxi and shows up at my shop. This guy is smoking 2 cigarettes at the same time. He definitely has some kind of mental affliction. I take him to DMV and somehow it gets temporary plates. I think they just wanted him out. Back to my shop and of he goes.
Like 4 days go by and I get a call from his brother. " Did my brother pickup that truck" Yea why don't you know about it. Well, they're not speaking because he told him not to get it. He said he would have had to tie him up to stop him. He asks me to send him pictures for the local Sheriff , to try and locate him.
Buyer calls the next day saying" I heard you were worried about me" He said the heater quit day one and he had an air leak the last two days but revved up it was ok. CRAZY DUDE!
View attachment 304764
it might sound weird but i've got to ask, did the question cross your mind that the buyer was the caller and not his "brother."

Welder Dave

I was selling a tractor a year or so ago. One of those grey market Japanese mini tractors with a loader, 2 cyl diesel. I had a helluva time finding parts for it, and when I did they were spendy. Not interested in that, so tractor had to go. I wanted 4 grand for it, which was cheap. Guy comes out, and brings his buddy "who knows engines". You know the type... this guy wasn't going to hear one word I said. Ok, fine, do your thing manly man. When it comes time to talk turkey, he starts trying to talk me down. I told him I was firm on the price, and look around at what else is out there if you don't believe me. Of course, he said (I bet you can guess), "oh I know lots of others that are much cheaper". Then I said, of course, "go there then, bye". he starts to get creative and telling me his sob stories, blah blah blah. After a few minutes, I told him "I'm firm on the price. If you want it, buy it. If you don't, have a nice day". He then asked if I would give him $100 military discount. That's a soft spot for me, so I told him to show me his 214. I didn't serve, but I know alot of guys who did, and most of those keep a copy (usually a laminated card in their wallet) easily accessible all the time. That's how they get discounts at restaurants and stores all over the place, so they keep it handy. I would too. He didn't have it, and didn't seem to understand what that was. Tried to BS me anyway. It was actually kinda sad at some point, and I got pissed off. I told him to take off, and he finally buckled, gave me the cash and went on down the road. We probably spent 30-40 minutes haggling over a hundred bucks, and he was lying through his teeth the whole time.
You should have told him it's $100 more if can't provide proof of being in the military.