• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Strategies on troubleshooting the 955E D315

Fat Dan

OK I got the skinny on the 1960, 955E 12A08263 (8263) Traxcavator of how it died. If it were a gas engine I'd be all over it and I can turn wrenches wit the best of them. Though I have been around diesel equipment and drove diesel trucks all my life dose not make one a diesel mechanic - just enough knowledge to get into real trouble.
If I can ask what would be the best way to start troubleshooting the problem(s) with 8263?
First the skinny: the previous owner went out on a cold morning (bout 10*F) used the pony to start the diesel all is good. After starting the oil pressure in the diesel was normal then dropped momentarily but then came back to normal. He went back inside to finish his coffee and let it warm up. Ten minutes later when he walked back out and in his words "It was seized."
I have not checked the water or oil yet - I think the previous owner drained fluids already. I should have that information already but that is where I'll start the troubleshooting. When I have that information in hand what would be my next major move?
The belly pans are off so access to the oil-pan access panel should be clear to check bearings, oil pump and for debris. The hood, dash and side panels are off so there is ample access to the head.
12A8263 nose.jpg IMG_3165.JPG
Forgot to say a real Cat service manual is in rout from ebay. From "O' Brother, Where Art Thou?" Why h@ll we are in a geographical oddity here ... we are magically two weeks from everywhere!"

Last edited:

Delmer

I don't know what the cat guys will say, there may be a common problem with those losing oil pressure, or something else that will lock one up like that.

I'd start with what's locked up, right? Is the pony motor loose? will it rock the main engine at all? or is it tight? Loosen any belts and see if the accessories turn on their own? I don't know how you'd check the tranmission/clutch end of the engine, but I'd look there next, unless it was easier to get into the bottom of the engine than mess around with the back.

Fat Dan

Thanks for your advice once I get out there I'll keep your suggestions in mind. The pony motor works but I'll make sure again and spin it over by hand and I'll look to see if the clutches are free. Before I crank hard on the diesel with the pony I think I'll pull the injectors and scope the cylinder, while I'm in there a squirt some light oil couldn't hurt. Then I''l pull fan the guards and try to spin the diesel by hand. But to tell the truth I'm afraid the bottom end is the most likely culprit "IF" it lost oil pressure. My strategy is to start with the cheaper fixes first and work my way up, that way if it something small that is bad I may not have to rebuild the entire engine - hope, hope, hope. I might be able to get a look through the crankcase access panels on the left side of the block to view the lower end.

I'll let ya know what I find out.

Fat Dan

Before I crank hard on the diesel with the pony I think I'll pull the injectors and scope the cylinder
Not sure what I was thinking - forgot about the pre-cups DUH??o_O Then I thought to buy a borescope with a 4mm camera which might fit through the pre-cup but the smallest size camera in my price range was 8mm.:confused:

Fat Dan

Thanks Dave Neubert:
Just got back from working on on the 955E, set down with a fresh hot cup to warm up. I thought about it a bit and finally came to a conclusion; opened the forum and you have confirmed what I was trying to avoid - and didn't want to admit. But now I agree the engine needs to R&Red. You say it is most likely a main so I'll pop them first. The 955E & 955C are still out at the farm, winter set in and can't get anyone to deliver them until after spring (sharp corners and curvy roads) once the weights limits on the roads are lifted. Just pulled the D315 engine out of the 1957 955C and so I hope I learned a few things. One of which is to pull the ROPS off first. Then I'll figure out which pins to pull so I can either remove or chain the bucket control arms up and back far enough so they are not in the way of removing the engine.
Thank you Dave for the info.