• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

System one undercarriage.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Hey Nigel as a field man when I've got track problems I simply roll em of and send em away usually but I have been told that mobile track presses exist have u seen one ore used one.
I know it's a bit off topic but I would love to c one.
Was hoping a man of ur knolige and talent might have some old picks and st hand experience with them.

Regards Cameron

A portable track press was just sold yesterday over on the ACMOC site. One of your mates down under was trying to get it worked out to ship it to Australia but it ended up sold and going to CA before the details could get worked out. There is video of it working on the 4 sale thread. I ain't smart enough to post a link on my iPad.

1466IH

I had someone try and weld the links themselves together. It looked like my 4yr old did it with his eyes closed and mig welder with no heat. The bolts were still tight so i couldnt figure out why they needed welding. One good whack on each side with a ball peen and they came apart then i cussed the next hour trying to grind and file them smooth again

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
1466, seems all to many consider the welding machine the best option to poor practices or ineffective work. I have been dealing with that for almost 40 years now.

Cam85

Hey OLD IRON thanks mate that's a nifty gadget.
Don't fret SCRUB I will get those pictures up I been a bit busy.
Yes the single tooth thing is interesting.
Thanks for the input NIGE.

Oh and It's good to hear I'm not the only one who has encountered the high intelligence level of the welder on the links.
My latest yelling match was with a short term employer who thought i was stupid 4 stoping when the front idler farted and carked it in the pit he got on and drove at full noise until it snapped the pin broke the saddle bolts and chewed the major minor out.
Makes the welder on the link seem a bit tame really.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
PHP:
TBH on our current fleet I'm not so much worried about getting the fcukers apart, my current challenge is keeping them together long enough to wear out a set of grousers ............

The new master links are so much meatier than the former ones that the width of the mud notches (dimension E) in the shoe next to the master link have to be increased from 3.8" to 5.6" wide. Some of this difference comes from reducing the width of the centre tab (dimension F) from 3.9" to 2.4". I'm thinking on that one shoe I may do away with the centre tab altogether.

D10T Shoe.png

They are are actually now System One -Generation Two,upgraded twice since they came out.

I'm not a fan rougher ride on dry hard ground.They don't like slopes or side wear, and the ride is choppy when going up and down slopes pushing up narrow base farm terraces.

The track bushing are suppose to turn as they pass over the idle which is narrow and doesn't support the weight of the blade on the rails like the old rails.All the weight of the blade is running on the bushing and the idlers when the front of the machine is going up and down the baclslopes of the terrace.Making the ride choppy.

They came out in 2006,as an option,but has become standard over time.If i knew what i do know i would have removed the extra scrapper and guards and went back to the old style heavy duty tracks.Which they now have a extra heavy duty track because of issue of system one tracks in this area.

There are places they are doing fine supposly.Bushing wear not a big issue here because of clay and blackdirt,compared to the sandier soils other places.Hardly ever wear out the bushing here before dry pins and rail high take them.Never turn bushing here,just run them out.

I have a customer who wants to replace the undercarriage on a D5N -XL HT but we are unsure if it has a System one undercarriage. If we are to convert it to a standard undercarriage do any of you have any insight on the difficulty of doing so?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If that S/N is correct as ending in AGG00615 (I think you got an extra zero in there) it was originally built in October 2003 with Heavy Duty undercarriage. It doesn't seem logical that it would have been changed to SystemOne during its life but stranger things have happened I suppose. The only definitive way to tell would be a photo of the track links.

mrappels

Occupation
Diesel Plant Fitter
Yes my previous employer is currently doing an experiment to test the throw away theory we sent one set of PPR chains away at 8,000 hrs for an over haul and let the sister machiene keep going only threw a set of segments at her ( segments every 4,000 hrs ) I will b interested to c how far the overhauled ones go the cost was 4,000 per side to overhaul it's way to soon to tell but when the results are clear I will post. At a guess I reckon the one we are letting run to destruction might make 15,000 hrs the set we sent of early I can't c em going another 8,000 hrs but time will tell hey Nigel care to take a guess.
We keep our tracks out of slop,
I don't wana change the subject or hijack the thread but my old boss and I are also running another test myth 2 outher dozers one with the roller between the drive and the front idler u know the one on top and one without both d8t.
He reckons the one without will do 1,000 hrs more the theory is one less pivot point for the chains to roll over I've got a wager he is wrong I reckon the track slap will get the better of em and the one with the roller will come up trumps.
Time will tell care to take a guess at that one.
Hey Cam, was just wondering if you had a result on the bet you had about the two dozers.- with a carrier and without.. Which one outlasted which?