• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Taki TB290 being dumped when reaching 5000 hours

crazydane

Been looking at used TB290s and it seems almost all the ones for sale at reasonable prices are right around the 5,000 hour mark.

For example:

ironplanet_tb290_4_sales.png

Do these typically only last about 5k hours before needing major repairs/overhaul? I can handle changing pins and bushings, but if the undercarriage is in need of a major overhaul at 5k hours, these might not be a great deal?

I suspect the Yanmar engine in these are good for about 10k hours, assuming properly maintenance, but didn't know if other major component typically needs attention around the 5k mark?

This would be for personal use around the farm for digging ponds, clearing wooded areas, etc. Looking to get a mulching head for it as well.

Thanks

crazydane

Thanks! That makes sense. The machine I'm looking at is local to me. This one:

As far as I can tell, it was not a rental unit, but who knows. I watched the video and the bucket pins appear VERY loose and the boom pins appear sloppy as well, but nothing like the bucket. Of course it can be hard to judge from a video alone.

I plan to go check it out this week. Anything else I should look for?

heymccall

I've got a bunch of Takeuchi TB180FR (4) and TB53FR (1) all going to auction in April. Anywhere from 6k to 12k hours, and they were all used hard. All are on original powertrains, one got final drive seals. I won't say that they all got there uneventfully, but, other than sheer abuse, they were all relatively inexpensive to get to those hours.
The most expensive piece on any of them is the engine.

crazydane

Good to know, thanks! So no issues with needing the replace seals on any of the cylinders or anything like that? Still on all original pins and bushings?

I watched the video again for the local listing and it looks like all the bucket slop is in the quick connect coupler and not the actual pins. Having never had a Taki QC before, I don't know if that's a common issue.

heymccall

Rebushed just about every pin at bucket interface on every one of them, but, you'd never know it. Also replaced the arm (stick) on a TB53FR & a TB180FR.
All of that was operator abuse, period.
The TB53FR ripped the eye socket off the end, and the TB180FR sheared at the upper pin.

IMHO, unless beat to death, or neglected, they are solid, well performing, machines.

We've broken glass, joysticks, rubber tracks, and all kinds of other stuff, but, they keep on ticking.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
I'm very happy with the Takeuchi machines. I own a TB016, TB240, and TB153fr, and TL130 loader. The TB290 has a great reputation and I want one some day. It does not have the lower stick bushing problems of the early side to side FR models. I would suggest making sure of the following:
1. Find a very reputable dealer. Best to find a dealer that sells mini excavators and not just a few heavy equipment items. Also a maintenance log is helpful. I like Machinery Trader. Also maybe United Rental, as they can send you the maintenance log.
2. Make sure to get it with a thumb and multiple buckets if possible.
3. Check the air filter housing. The cover is only installed with three clips. I bought a used United Rental TAK that had an old housing where the cover had a hard time staying on. Of course the engine didn't last. That was before I knew anything.
4. If you can do a lot of the maintenance yourself, you should be fine. This forum can be a huge help!

crazydane

Really appreciate the feedback guys! I have a much better idea now on what to look out for. That one I was looking at got snatched up today. Fortunately I'm not in a super rush, so I'll take my time and keep looking.

There's a Tak dealer 60 miles from me that two used TB290s in stock, but both are low hours, so the prices are very high (both are 2016 models, 256/1,130 hours with asking prices of $92k/80k respectively). Sort of strange that they have a 8 year old unit with only 256 hours on it. Regardless, those are both above what I'm willing to spend.

As far as I know, all years are the same mechanically, with a rear camera being added from serial 185103514 and 3rd aux/dedicated coupler circuit added from serial 185108277. Not sure what that translates into as far as the year, but I'm guessing rear camera about 2018 and 3rd aux a year or two later.

I'm sure others will come along with higher hours for more reasonable prices. Hoping to find a unit in fair condition in the $50k range, give or take that is in state (Virginia). I do have a BigTex 22GN trailer and Duramax 3500 truck, but hauling a TB290 will take me well above 26k and CDL territory although the trailer can handle it. Probably not a huge deal since its for private use and would be just a one time deal to bring it to the farm.

I did clear some land a while back when we build mom's new house and I hauled logs to the mill with that truck & trailer. I went a wee bit over on some of those loads, lol:

motherload1.JPG

motherload3.JPG

Yes, I do all my own maintenance on all my other equipment and have the shop/tools to do so.

Last edited:

MG84

Unless you are dead set on the Takeuchi I’d also be looking for a Kubota kx080, Deere 85d (Hitachi ZX85) or Case CX80c. All of those are also made in Japan and are excellent machines.

crazydane

Definitely not married to the Takeuchi, but there are a couple of things drawing me to them:

1. More aux hydraulic flow than the others (at least the Kubota)
2. Better cab ergonomics/technology (compared to Kubota 080-4)

I did look very closely at a new 057-5 and the cab is very nice and a significant upgrade over the 057-4, but aux flow is only about 16 GPM @ rated pressure. That would limit the mulching heads I can use with it, or at least make them work slower than with others. And I was quoted $81k for the base machine before QC coupler, thumb and buckets.

The 080-5 is just now being released here in the states, so there will be no used ones available for a few years. A new one of those would be out of my budget.

I'm a sucker for technology and want a unit with a nice LCD display where I can play with hydraulic settings and check maintenance intervals, etc. This is likely going to be my "forever" excavator, so I want to make sure it has everything I need now and in the future.

I have a 2012 John Deere 5085M tractor with lots of attachments (including both front and rear grapples and a stump grinder) that I purchased new. It has given me 1,000 trouble free hours so far, and feel it will outlive me (I'm 58). Also picked up a new 2021 JD 1025R with FEL and 260B backhoe a couple of years back. It also has a front grapple. It has been great for small jobs around the house and what not, but it ain't no mini-ex.

I'll take a closer look at the Case and Deere models you suggested as well to see what their ergonomics are like compared to the Takeuchi.

heymccall

We've got a Yanmar Vio55-6a and a Vio80-1a. Both have been virtually trouble free (they're going to auction, too).

Biggest upfront bonus.....factory standard pin grabber bucket coupler.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Hoping to find a unit in fair condition in the $50k range

That budget is very low. I think you would need to spend more like $75,000 min. The older TB175 is a good machine. But if you like a newer machine (LCD screen), don't be afraid to look at the Tak TB260 which is exactly in your budget. That machine can load those logs easily. It just won't pull out large stumps as well. A bit easier to tow around too.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
We've got a Yanmar Vio55-6a and a Vio80-1a. Both have been virtually trouble free (they're going to auction, too).

Biggest upfront bonus.....factory standard pin grabber bucket coupler.
What are you replacing all of those machines with? or is it downsizing.

crazydane

I'll add the Yanmar Vio80 to the list, thanks. Agree the standard pin grabber coupler is nice!

@heymccall Where is it being auctioned off? PA is not that far from VA... ;)

I've been loading logs with the 5085M: (pic below is my old GN before I upgraded to the Big Tex).

lumberday1-06.jpg

And skidding the logs with the Valby:

lumberday1-05.jpg

Cleared about 10 acres of mature VA pines that way and hauled them to the mill. The proceeds pretty much paid for what I got in the 5085M and grabbles. Felling several hundred trees by myself and hauling them away was a lot of work though, and that was on the weekend outside my day job.

I plan to clear another 10 acres of mature VA pines at some point, and an ex with a pivoting grabble would be a lot faster I'm sure compared to my current setup.

crazydane

I put together a comparison spreadsheet of the models I'm looking at:

comparison chart.png

I have highlighted what I feel is the "winner" in each weight class (6 and 8 ton). The TB370 sits in the middle by itself but is closer in performance to the 8 ton units vs. the 6 ton ones.

I plan to find ones sitting at dealers and check them out in person to see which ones I like the best. On paper, the Takeuchi seems to be the clear winner both in brute force as well as hydraulic flow.

Wasn't able to find all the specs for all the models but you can kind of infer them.

Attachments

• comparison chart.png
    comparison chart.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 6

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
So here in Georgia, I believe the logs must sitting in between metal uprights. I made brackets so that metal post could be installed if I am moving logs.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would just consider adding the Wacker Neuson ET90 if you have dealer support in your area. Performance wise it compares very well with the 290. I spent a week comparing both of them side by side, and the ET90 gives up nothing, pretty outstanding machine.

crazydane

So here in Georgia, I believe the logs must sitting in between metal uprights. I made brackets so that metal post could be installed if I am moving logs.

That's probably true in Virginia as well. If I was doing this for a living/business, I would for sure make that modification. I think of the 100 or so loads I hauled to the mill, I did have one where the straps were loose when I got there from the logs shifting a little during transport. So yeah, I can see why they would want you to do that.

crazydane

I would just consider adding the Wacker Neuson ET90 if you have dealer support in your area. Performance wise it compares very well with the 290. I spent a week comparing both of them side by side, and the ET90 gives up nothing, pretty outstanding machine.

That Wacker Neuson ET90 does look nice! Engine looks to be Deutz on the older ones and Perkins on the new ones. Not that those are bad engines, but I have never worked on them, where I'm quite familiar with Kubota and Yanmar engines. But the specs are definitely impressive!

Last edited: